Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning,

From time to time I like to give myself a project to try and enhance my craft and keep me interested. This year my project is street portraits. It definitely puts one outside of one's comfort zone. My approach is simple, I look around for interesting characters, approach them and ask can I take their portrait. I have only been declined once (a nun who was praying) it is disappointing but important to respect this even when it means missing a fantastic shot! Most people are actually really happy to be asked, I like to chat a little whilst I am shooting to set people at ease and get more relaxed photos. People have even thanked me for taking time to talk to them which is really nice. I always show them the shot after on the LCD and tell them my website address to see the image later. I'm thinking of having some business cards printed to make this easier. 

I like to shoot wide open to get separation. One of the staff at Leica Store Manchester gave me the tip of focusing on the eye then moving your head slightly back and forward to find focus rather than use the ring (I'm sure people already know this but i thought it was a good tip). I like to shoot half a dozen frames whilst doing this to ensure focus is on the eye not slightly out. Though I do sometimes miss shots still and kick myself afterwards :)

Anyway, here is one from a rather wet day in Kendal in the Lake District UK

27430663954_4b58918b2a_c.jpgStreet Portrait Kendal by Robert Michael Poole, on Flickr

C/C always welcome.

Thanks for looking

Rob

More street portraits can be seen on my website here: https://robertpoolephotography.com/portfolio/street-portraits/

• Like 9

Thanks for all the comments. It's a project I'm enjoying, I've usually got my seven month old son with me which I think makes me seem more approachable :) there are a few other shots which I posted on an earlier thread from the Leamington Spa Peace Festival ✌ which can also be seen on the street portrait page of my website

Www.robertpoolephotography.com

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rob,

A couple of nice and interesting portraits and I like your black and white processing.  

One thing that I've found that works for me (and please don't take this as patronising - it's not meant to be) is a deliberate choice of words when enquiring about taking someone's photo. The first answer that most people keep loaded up is "No" because they expect strangers to want something from them.  So the reflex answer to the question "Can I take your picture?" is likely to be "No".  But if you instead ask "Do you mind if I take your picture? and the easy (and reflex) answer is "No" then they have given you permission.  I've found that subjects prefer this approach because they feel that in a small way I care about their feelings because I've asked them if they mind if I take their picture.  I hope the technique works for you too if you use it.

Pete.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Rob,

A couple of nice and interesting portraits and I like your black and white processing.

One thing that I've found that works for me (and please don't take this as patronising - it's not meant to be) is a deliberate choice of words when enquiring about taking someone's photo. The first answer that most people keep loaded up is "No" because they expect strangers to want something from them. So the reflex answer to the question "Can I take your picture?" is likely to be "No". But if you instead ask "Do you mind if I take your picture? and the easy (and reflex) answer is "No" then they have given you permission. I've found that subjects prefer this approach because they feel that in a small way I care about their feelings because I've asked them if they mind if I take their picture. I hope the technique works for you too if you use it.

Pete.

Hi, thanks for the comments. I'll definitely give this a try. I've only been told no once, by a nun in Greece. She was stood looking out to see, it would have been a fantastic picture but I respected her wishes.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments. Here's one from last night. His name was Mauro and him and his brother ran a ride at a small amusement park. Great guys who told us we could ride free whenever we wanted. My wife is really shocked by how positive people are regarding having their portraits taken.

cf288a8d919d1263c0f3681ac8402a1a.jpg

Thanks, I was going through a bit of a slump and it has really reinvigorated my photography. I love your site by the way!

thanks for looking there Robert. Glad you liked it. If you ever come to Lebanon, let me know, here, street portraits is easy, people never say no:-)

• Like 1