Lost £9000 in Leica gear in theft in France

cliffp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was staying in my caravan overnight at a motorway service station near Lyon 2 days ago. My M9,50mm 'lux and Q were in the car which was locked and attached to the caravan. We went to sleep having locked the door. I awoke to see the door was ajar. Thieves had broken the lock, entered the caravan,found the car keys and stolen all my Leica gear plus wife's camera, my laptop and cash. I phoned the police but no one spoke any English so it was difficult to explain what had happened. Unfortunately,as stupid as it sounds,I don't have any insurance so don't expect much sympathy. My reasons for this are that I only use my camera very occasionally and have felt that I was very careful. I obviously now realise that this was a big mistake. I can't afford to replace the cameras so I think my days of enjoying Leica photography are over. I wouldn't wish to put off any purchasers of Leica cameras as owning and using this equipment has been an amazing experience -just make sure it is insured and be very careful (I could have hidden my gear better or the car key).

I was staying in my caravan overnight at a motorway service station near Lyon 2 days ago. My M9,50mm 'lux and Q were in the car which was locked and attached to the caravan. We went to sleep having locked the door. I awoke to see the door was ajar. Thieves had broken the lock, entered the caravan,found the car keys and stolen all my Leica gear plus wife's camera, my laptop and cash. I phoned the police but no one spoke any English so it was difficult to explain what had happened. Unfortunately,as stupid as it sounds,I don't have any insurance so don't expect much sympathy. My reasons for this are that I only use my camera very occasionally and have felt that I was very careful. I obviously now realise that this was a big mistake. I can't afford to replace the cameras so I think my days of enjoying Leica photography are over. I wouldn't wish to put off any purchasers of Leica cameras as owning and using this equipment has been an amazing experience -just make sure it is insured and be very careful (I could have hidden my gear better or the car key).

Several caravan manufacturers fit a small safe under one of the bunks .These are readily available in many stores. The average caravan can be broken into very easily in a matter of seconds rather than minutes.I would also reccomend an alarm that would have woken you when the burglar entered.An investment of about £150.00 would probably have prevented your loss. It would have been better to keep your camera under your bunk bed inc car keys, credit cards,money and passport. not in your car.

BrianP

Edited by Guest

Cliff

Check the wording of your household insurance. I am assuming that you have house and contents insurance...

If the stolen items were locked in the boot of the car, and not on a seat with a "come steal me" sign on them (which is the same thing), your house policy might cover you.

• Like 1

Hi cliffp -- are you saying you were both asleep in the caravan when the thieves broke into the caravan? then rummaged etc? -- As previously said if you have house insurance your items might be covered.. You will need a Police Report to make a claim.. Out of the UK might be the problem unless it's stipulated in your household policy..

Advise Leica of the stolen items & S/numbers.. All my photographic equipment & other high end items have been photographed & documented, copies are stored with my insurance company & on 2 external HD's...  Also advisable for all your credit & bank cards..  Take Care, a sad experience -- L

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies. Brian,I will look into the alarms and safes you mention. Andy,unfortunately my household insurance doesn't cover the items (my bad for not making sure it did). Manoleica,I didnt get a police report mostly because I just couldn't communicate with them and partly because I knew I didn't have insurance cover. I will inform Leica when I return (when I can locate serial numbers).

You say you cannot afford to replace your gear, which is sad but understandable. You might consider getting a used M8 and any of the many affordable 35s out there, to carry on enjoying your hobby, trading up over the years to come.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cliff,

I am very sorry to hear of your dreadful experience in France and of the loss of your Leica gear and other property.  Thieves are one of the lowest forms of human life IMHO.  While this will not replace your lost kit and will bring you precious little solace, know that the vermin who stole from you will receive their just due - with interest.  The wheels of karma grind slowly but they grind exceedingly fine.

• Like 1

Thanks Jaapv, I think that I may sell a few other (non photographic) items to buy an m body of some sort and 50mm (equivalent) lens. I very much appreciate your encouraging me to be positive. Carlos, you may well be right about the thieves getting their come uppance. TBH I feel too numb to harbour feelings of wanting revenge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cliff,

It makes me feel sorry for you and sad that these things happen. It makes me even more sad, that you may not be able to compensate the loss. But here I want to encourage you to try get used stuff. If you have a good shop you can perhaps buy and pay in rates. There must be a way to continue with the Leica quality. Recently I tried a Leica SL with old R lenses and I was really surprised how smoothly this works together. Please, don't give up and try to find a way.

• Like 1

That's frightening! I guess you are both very heavy sleepers - probably best they didn't wake you!

One consolation though, being digital Leicas (and I mean this without sarcasm) there's a very good chance one or both will eventually need to be returned to Leica for repair/service so make sure you register the details with them.

• Like 1

A very sad affair indeed.

There have been quite a few reports over the years of the use of narcotic gases being pumped into motorhomes and caravans that have stopped overnight on Aires.  Initially I was somewhat doubtful of such tales in the caravan press (how does one pump sufficient gas into caravans/motorhomes that are designed to be well-ventilated because of the potential danger of gas leaks?) but last year an acquaintance did suffer just such an event.  As frequent visitors to France & Spain with our caravan we plan our itinerary such that for overnight stops we only use recognised campsites.  Even then, depending on the site layout I may well decide to hide car keys and wallet etc such that finding them would involve tipping me out of bed.  Additionally our caravan has a hidden cubby-hole which just so happens to take my camera bag.

In essence, one cannot be too careful (without being paranoid)... 

• Like 1

Every year for the last 25 or so I've driven down to the southern alps to hang glide. I used to stay in quiet aires where there is no restaurant. On one journey my wife and I were sleeping in the back of my white panel van. At about 2 in the morning I felt the faintest movement of the van. Being a glider pilot I'm sensitive to the weather conditions and thought it unusual that there should be a gust of wind. I looked out of the back window and no leaves were blowing on the bushes. I opened the side door and saw a man bolt off across the car park from the passenger side front door and, stupidly, I bolted after him stark naked. He got to a waiting car before I caught him, and as I came to a stop realising I wouldn't catch him, I became aware of a second thief who'd been trying to get in through the drivers door. He'd taken a much wider path back to the car and by this stage I'd come to my senses realising I'm putting myself in a bad position up against three blokes.

I've always stayed in aires with restaurants and lots of activity since that day, and have also followed reports of gassing incidents similar to what Keith describes. I believe this is the only incident I've experienced because on that occasion my wife had moved her bag back onto the front passenger seat. I've always been careful not to have anything of any interest on show, even sat navs, but dropped the ball on that occasion.

Sorry for your loss. Do report the theft though. One of the forum's Swiss members was lucky to receive his gear back recently.

Pete

• Like 1