From Canon 5sMarkII so Leica S 007 or further

Arni

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am seriously thinking about leaveing my canon behind appart from the 500 mm and the body

and going for a S 007 with the 30-90 and 180

Now I´ve been told that I can get a phase one back for my 500 cm system that will serve a similar purpse in regard og fina image quality.

Befor the I had my hands on a Cambo with a phase one back and two schneider lenses

To be hones I am stuck what to do.

What would you go for when money is no problem, just the best image qaility?

This really depends on what you are looking to do with the camera. I have the 007 with a few S lenses and the entire collection of Contax lenses. I LOVE the S, but i am finding it more and more difficult to hold onto as I really miss the flexibility of working with a wide shift lens. I am all but certain that the 30mm tilt shift Leica planned on making for the S system has been abandoned at this point. I use the SL with Canon TSE lenses for work a lot, however, on the bigger projects where I want to step things up a bit and use my medium format setup, this factor can be limiting. 

I am now knocking the idea around of selling and getting into a Phase One IQ150 with a Cambo tech camera for this very reason. If I could I would keep the 007 as well but that isn't in the cards for me. 

So my advice is this. If you movements are near and dear to you, then there really is no choice to be made here. However, if they are totally unnecessary, then the 007 and S lenses are just about as fine as it gets when it comes to image quality, and especially handling. I will be distraught when I sell/trade in my 007. 

The S is a system that works like a DSLR, except with a bigger sensor and rubbish tracking AF. The backs on a 500 body will be more methodical, manual focus etc.

It'll depend on how you like to work. I don't think I'd have the patience to work all MF all the time or fluff around with movements. However other love this way of shooting.

Gordon

• Like 1

I agree with the others. Depends what you plan to do and how to work.

For my part I love the S because it is nearly as quick and easy to use like a DSLR (except C-AF), but with better viewfinder and better IQ.

I also like to use lenses wide open often and S lenses shine wide open.

If you plan/need/want to use T/S often and the 120 Leica TS is not your focal lengths, then maybe another system is better suited.

I once had a Hy6 with digital back, beautiful IQ but for what I do a precise AF is a big advantage, so I much prefer the S in this regard.