Bridgeport, CA County Courthouse

John Z. Goriup

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first time I set foot in Bridgeport, CA was in the '60s as a young Marine at the Winter Warfare training center a few miles to the West in the high mountains. Bridgeport has always ( since 1854 ) been just a small town at the intersection of two main highways, and of no  personal significance other than the availability of a hot meal in the evenings during training. I had no idea then that the area would become one of my favorite flyfishing spots when I moved to California 20 years later.

Ansel Adams appearantly knew better, because in 1938 he took one of his iconic and definitive, but less well known black & white images of the County Courthouse in Bridgeport. I remembered seeing the shot of the courthouse in one of the many books of Adams photos I have on my shelves when walking back from breakfast a couple of weekends ago, and as I do frequently when possible and when I find myself in the vicinity of one of the subjects he found 'picture worthy', took the attached photo with the 21mm f3.4 SEM on the SL. 

Things have obviously changed considerably in 78 years, with building and development and a huge number of RVs & pickups on the street making an exact duplication practically impossible, but it looks like the 130 year old building has recently received new paint and trim and appears as fresh as it did in Adams's day.

Thanks for looking ..............constructive criticism & comments welcome.

JZG

#1 - Ansel Adams image

#2 - JZG photo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5