Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I published a fairly lengthy piece on my blog explaining why I was shooting film again after 14 years of shooting digital. Some may find it an interesting read. Here is the link to it: https://gerrywalden.wordpress.com.

Comments are always welcome.

Gerry

Edited by gwpics
  • Like 11

Thank you for the pleasant blog article. Eventually you might want to leave C41 to experience 'real' film, however I must admit that very much of film has changed. For example, Tri-X of the Seventies is gone. I might be old-age blinded but I cannot get the results today that I got back then with simple D-76, 1:1.

Welcome!

Thank you for the pleasant blog article. Eventually you might want to leave C41 to experience 'real' film, however I must admit that very much of film has changed. For example, Tri-X of the Seventies is gone. I might be old-age blinded but I cannot get the results today that I got back then with simple D-76, 1:1.

Welcome!

Thanks for looking and for you kind comments. You may be right, and sat on a shelf just above my head are 5 rolls of Tri-X and one of Ilford Delta 400, but as I hope you can see I get good results with the Fuji Neopan 400CN.

Gerry

Well written, and wonderful photos.  Thanks for sharing.  

Thank you very much for your very kind comment. I must say that your screen name is far politer than what I usually say!

Gerry

• Like 2

Thank you for your article. I still shoot digital but this is why I got myself an M7 (and R7 and bought back the Contax T3 I never should have sold).

For B&W I use BW400CN for the same reason you shoot Neopan, for colo. Lovely tonal range ,back blacks, and minimal grain).

There is a simplicity (but not immediacy or convenience) of the whole film workflow that I really enjoy.

I also seem to concern myself more with the subject and less with technical perfection when shooting film.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for your article. I still shoot digital but this is why I got myself an M7 (and R7 and bought back the Contax T3 I never should have sold).

For B&W I use BW400CN for the same reason you shoot Neopan, for colo. Lovely tonal range ,back blacks, and minimal grain).

There is a simplicity (but not immediacy or convenience) of the whole film workflow that I really enjoy.

I also seem to concern myself more with the subject and less with technical perfection when shooting film.

Mark 

Thanks for your comments about my blog which I appreciate. I used to shoot the Kodak film but ( hope this does not come as too much of a shock to you) it has not been manufactured for some years now. I have also tried Ilford XP2 but I din't like it, although there is a more recent formulation as XP2 Super which I have not tried. It is 20% dearer though, and as I am happy with the Fuji version I will stick where I am. Interestingly the Fuji in Europe is manufactured in the Ilford factory but (I am given to understand) to a different formulation to the Ilford film.

Gerry

Thank you, Gerry. As Mark notes, Kodak BW400CN is a very good C41 film. Although no longer made, it is still readily available in many places, and, at least in my experience, doesn't suffer with age.

I agree. I have used it quite a lot in my pre-digital days but as it is now discontinued I have decided to stick with the Fuji which is very similar and which I am very happy with. I first switched to C-41 b&w film back around the mid-90s when I had some film affected by x-rays on a flight, and decided that I would get my film processed before I bought it home.

Gerry

Put my post aside. I do not scan film. If a film image evinces something remarkable in a wet-print, I am happy. I do regret that my skill in scanning the prints is deficient. The monitor never really works for me. My fault, perhaps, certainly.

Edited by pico

Thank you, Gerry, for a very enjoyable read and some beautiful images to savour.

Did you / would you ever think about shooting on a Monochrom before you returned to the analogue world?

I think it would have suited your style down to the ground.

Regardless; thank you for sharing your thoughts, experiences and images with us.

Philip.

• Like 1

Put this post aside. I do not scan film. If a film image evinces something remarkable in a wet-print, I am happy. I do regret that my skill in scanning the prints is deficient. The monitor never really works for me. My fault, perhaps.

I am afraid to say that I have absolutely no wish to ever do a wet print again in my life! When I cleared the darkroom out I was also put off by the way that the fumes had eaten into the metal window fittings. I am very happy in my office where I can see the birds and squirrels playing in the garden.

Gerry

• Like 3

Thank you, Gerry, for a very enjoyable read and some beautiful images to savour.

Did you / would you ever think about shooting on a Monochrom before you returned to the analogue world?

I think it would have suited your style down to the ground.

Regardless; thank you for sharing your thoughts, experiences and images with us.

Philip.

Philip

Firstly thanks you for your very kind comments.

I have a friend in Barcelona (Lluis Ripol) and other friends who shoot with the Monochrom and the results they get are superb so the answer is a resounding YES but I am afraid that finances will not stretch that far, and now I am not earning from my photography they are not likely to. However, if you want to donate one, or start a crowd-funding campaign on my behalf then I would not say no!!!   :)  :)  BTW, Lluis has returned to doing some of his wonderful street work on film because he likes the feel of it despite having a Monochrom.

Gerry

Yesterday I published a fairly lengthy piece on my blog explaining why I was shooting film again after 14 years of shooting digital. Some may find it an interesting read. Here is the link to it: https://gerrywalden.wordpress.com.

Comments are always welcome.

Gerry

A good article... after many years with the M8 and then a short affair with the M-E, I'm back shooting film via a double M6 set up. With a Pakon scanner in my workflow, film works for me.

A good article... after many years with the M8 and then a short affair with the M-E, I'm back shooting film via a double M6 set up. With a Pakon scanner in my workflow, film works for me.

I have just had a film image taken on the M7 published in a story on the National geographic website. Shot on 1 June, published today. For me that justifies my decision.

Thanks for commenting, and happy shooting,

Gerry

• Like 1

Congratulations!

While this is nothing but a happy snap of my wife and child, I do not think a digital image would be as pleasing.

Keep up the good work, and do post the link to your NG photo.

af97370a308894530145bd3c9b106b0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiva

that is a great family portrait. My image is elsewhere on the Forum at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/261546-new-forest-pony-sales/?p=3061204

Best wishes from rainy Southampton

Gerry

Lovely work! Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts and images. I remember reading very early in my interest in photography that the best way to learn is to make mistakes - that meant burning film. Nowadays I only shoot digital. I HOPE the very low cost of digital allows me to make more mistakes, hence learn more, but maybe not. I am certainly taking more snaps than I would if I was shooting Tri-X at £9 per roll, plus processing and printing. 

I'm also aware of the argument that if I was shooting Tri-X, I may concentrate that bit more before releasing the shutter..

• Like 1

Lovely work! Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts and images. I remember reading very early in my interest in photography that the best way to learn is to make mistakes - that meant burning film. Nowadays I only shoot digital. I HOPE the very low cost of digital allows me to make more mistakes, hence learn more, but maybe not. I am certainly taking more snaps than I would if I was shooting Tri-X at £9 per roll, plus processing and printing. 

I'm also aware of the argument that if I was shooting Tri-X, I may concentrate that bit more before releasing the shutter..

Thanks for commenting Denys. As I said, I shoot Fuji Neopan 400CN which costs £5 a roll through Calumet, and processing is cheapish through most d&p labs on the High Street. It is a good idea to warn them that, although it is a C41 film it is b&w or an inexperienced lab tech may freak out. Most places will transfer it to disk of you don't have a scanner.

Gerry

• Like 1

Thanks for commenting Denys. As I said, I shoot Fuji Neopan 400CN which costs £5 a roll through Calumet, and processing is cheapish through most d&p labs on the High Street. It is a good idea to warn them that, although it is a C41 film it is b&w or an inexperienced lab tech may freak out. Most places will transfer it to disk of you don't have a scanner.

Gerry

Yes - I suppose better value for money: more mistakes, more learning! That said, I just saw your comment about getting an image published on the National Geographic website..so I guess we are worlds apart (if you pardon the pun) in ability :-)