Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Neither did I see anybody, but all the others see me ....      :D

Though what is "in the wild" ? Where I live you have to drive several hours to get really into the wild.

And not everybody is after furtive animals. Some prefer plants, trees, mushrooms, lichens, molds, ...  all easy prey and worthwhile targets even for a slow camera.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having the X1D with all three native lenses for this weekend. Good fun comparing with the SL. 

Some samples from the X1D. The landscapes in long exposures, 2-3 minutes.

34279280646_c436c0aa81_c.jpg

B7041052.jpg by Mirek, on Flickr

34318680815_8322201fa3_c.jpg

B7040984.jpg by Mirek, on Flickr

34187351931_d94aa78d7d_c.jpg

B7040970.jpg by Mirek, on Flickr

33476581714_636437ecef_c.jpg

B7040967.jpg by Mirek, on Flickr
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Weekend before last I saw at least three SL's in two days....

Oh wait... That was at the Leica One Melbourne Event. :) :) :)

Gordon

On a Landscape Workshop 2 weeks ago four out of the six photographers had SL's ....... which seems a bit like winning the lottery. 

• Like 1

On a Landscape Workshop 2 weeks ago four out of the six photographers had SL's ....... which seems a bit like winning the lottery.

Maybe it has something to do with course leader choice of camera and his followers lurking on LUF.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing, planning North Coast 500 miles for next year, camera gear, check.

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have both. All I can say is demo a unit. If you shoot like me, you may not return the X1D. I do landscape, architecture, reportage and candid portaraits. I can write an extensive review and comparison, just this forum is not the right place for it

• Like 2

I know we're 85 pages in, and I'm sure someone has already mentioned it but isn't the Fujifilm GFX the more obvious choice than the Hasselblad?

It's cheaper, it's lenses have wider apertures - the hasselblad has better sync speed...

But damn you just have to look at them and subjectively decide which is the obvious choice :) I do find the design of the Fuji so uninspiring.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dancook

The Hasselblad is undeniably lovelier to look at and hold and those are important qualities and ones I particularly like in the SL. If I were just buying it to indulge my amateur interests I think I could afford to hold on to those critera but if I were to make the switch to being a professional, I'm not so sure my head would let me. Is the Hasselblad as unreliable as I've heard?

The Hasselblad is undeniably lovelier to look at and hold and those are important qualities and ones I particularly like in the SL. If I were just buying it to indulge my amateur interests I think I could afford to hold on to those critera but if I were to make the switch to being a professional, I'm not so sure my head would let me. Is the Hasselblad as unreliable as I've heard?

I have not heard any rumors that Hasselblad is unreliable. I had no issues with my H5D. X1D is too new to say something about reliability, but I did not have any issues so far. It seems that photographers who are attracted to Leica M and SL are also attracted to X1D. As with M and SL, you may argue: "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand" ;-).

If there are issues, they will be discussed here - http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com

• Like 1

I know we're 85 pages in, and I'm sure someone has already mentioned it but isn't the Fujifilm GFX the more obvious choice than the Hasselblad?

The more obvious choice for what purpose? 

The GFX, to me, is another over-laden feature extravaganza machine that I have no use for whatever. If you have a use for all those features, than it would be a good camera. I do not. 

The X1D is appealing to me in much the same way that a Leica M is. Although it's about the same size as the SL, body-wise, and the lenses are about the same size as the upcoming crop of SL primes look to be, the X1D's capabilities are much more similar to a Leica M with a bigger sensor and an EVF. I don't have the slightest interest in it because of what it looks like, but I love how it felt in my hands and I know the Hasselblad lenses render they way I like from seeing other people's photographs with it.

When I picked up the GFX, it immediately struck me as 'yet another magic wurlitzer of buttons and knobs and menus and things that I'll never even bother to figure out' ... nothing intrigued me. It could be a Nikon or Canon pro DSLR model, only bigger, and I'd hardly notice. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Professional work - commercial, product, corporate portraits, weddings etc (the kind of work that medium format is designed for).

I see the X1D as a digital equivalent to a Mamiya 7 or a Plaubel Makina. Cameras that were fairly limited in terms of versatility, but gave the highest available quality in a compact package.

• Like 1

I see the X1D as a digital equivalent to a Mamiya 7 or a Plaubel Makina. Cameras that were fairly limited in terms of versatility, but gave the highest available quality in a compact package.

I think you need to use one to understand that it's a complete and versatile system. It's extremely simple and naturally intuitive. Very much like handling an M10. But like the M, it's extremely versatile with direct and immediate access to everything you need to shoot quickly without going through settings like a Nikon. I don't see it in any way limited and does what my SL does with less fuss.

At present, only the lens selection and some firmware additions that are forthcoming would be its only limitation in versatility.

• Like 1