Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Malarky. I didn't see that even in the June-July demos. I switched both demo X1D cameras off and on again several times; they were ready to shoot within a second or so.

Yes, the EVFs of these two cameras are different and the Leica SL EVF is slightly better. But, in practical terms, I found them equally easy to frame and focus with. (I personally have no interest in the Fuji at all so haven't really looked at its specs.) The X1D controls felt superb to my hands, on par with the SL's controls in most ways but rather different in execution due to the touchscreen control interface.

thanks, I hope nothing puts me off the X1D, because I'd like a camera like this - but really not the fuji

Yes, the EVFs of these two cameras are different and the Leica SL EVF is slightly better. But, in practical terms, I found them equally easy to frame and focus with. (I personally have no interest in the Fuji at all so haven't really looked at its specs.) The X1D controls felt superb to my hands, on par with the SL's controls in most ways but rather different in execution due to the touchscreen control interface.

Various focus/EVF features were not even active on the X1D demos I used, so no fair comparison to the SL for me....yet.  Even the Hasselblad reps were not enamored, but each cautioned not to make judgments based on the not-yet-ready demo model.  But the specs aren't up to the SL EVF, so I won't expect miracles.

I find a lot to like about the Fuji, possibly more than the X1D, but none of that matters until I test.  I'll demo all 3 cameras before committing (after having already demo-ed the S 006 for a week). No rush to make the best decision for me, including more time to let any dust settle on any reliability or user issues (like the S system lens problems).  Lots of shooting and printing in the meantime.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Why would anyone would be interested in the X1D and not take an interest in the Fuji?

I'm interested in going back to MF but couldn't justify the price of digital MF until the announcement of the Hasselblad and Fuji cameras. For the first 15 years of my photographic life I used MF only, and until 12 years ago it was still my preferred system alongside my film Ms until I went fully digital, so "full-frame" still feels small to me, though I love it for that reason.

Can someone please explain why the Fuji shouldn't be taken seriously? I don't want to make a silly and expensive mistake.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Can someone please explain why the Fuji shouldn't be taken seriously? I don't want to make a silly and expensive mistake.

its ugly to start with [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

its ugly to start with [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Why would anyone would be interested in the X1D and not take an interest in the Fuji?

I'm interested in going back to MF but couldn't justify the price of digital MF until the announcement of the Hasselblad and Fuji cameras. For the first 15 years of my photographic life I used MF only, and until 12 years ago it was still my preferred system alongside my film Ms until I went fully digital, so "full-frame" still feels small to me, though I love it for that reason.

If you're happy with the design you're golden, but I agree with Neil - it is ugly (imo!)

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

its ugly to start with 

I kinda like the blend of old/new school looks and form-follows-function approach.  Plus things tend to look (and act) different in person.

For me, if it has a beautiful VF (reports on .85 mag and 50% higher MP than X1D), beautiful ergonomics (separate dials for shutter, ISO and aperture to start), simple menu interface, beautiful lenses and files, robust weather sealing and reliable build, etc.....I'll consider it a beautiful camera.  Beauty is in the eye of.... 

I'll reserve judgment on both the X1D and GFX until thorough testing.

Jeff

It does seem a bit early to tell what the strengths and weaknesses of each system are.   The Fuji and Hasselbland are aimed at different markets and, so far, we have not properly understood respective limitations which can turn out to be the difference between what we imagine our prospective partner to be and what they are like to live with (focusing, flash compatibility, etc).  So far all that we know is that:

• The Hasselblad is likely to be available 3-6m sooner, but it is more expensive (25%?) will have fewer lenses available at least over the first year and/but they will (have to) have built-in shutters.
  • It is more compact than the Fuji, but the latter has a more versatile viewing system.
  • There are some indications that the Hasselblad firmware is immature. The state of the Fuji firmware is unknown, but they have a track record of providing firmware enhancements.
  • There are some signs that Fuji aims to provide a complete MF system, over time. The Hasselblad seems more tentative. If it sells, they may offer more. (Cf, Leica SL).
  • The Hasselblad seems to have licensed Nikon's flash protocols, so their speed light can be used in addition to studio lights.

In headline summary, the Fuji seems aimed more at the photographic journeyman, perhaps i the studio, a professional tool, where as the Hasselblad is aimed more at the lifestyle market.

This this just the impression from advance marketing. It may well turn out that there are showstoppers in either case, when these cameras are used real life, as I say.

Whether you prefer a plain Jane that's going to stick with you, or a more racy number that starts off looking better on the outside but has limitations, is entirely a matter of personal temperament   

I'm using my SL when I can and telling myself I can't afford another system (this is true). But ...

The distinctions between the X1D and the GFX seem a little overdone to me. They have the same sensor, and they're almost the same size - okay, the Hasselblad does look a little more compact. The idea of the X1D and 45mm or 30mm lens on it is very appealing. From the photos, the GFX, not so much. But then, I've never owned a Fuji but I have had Hasselblads (I still have an SWC).

To be honest, though, I worry that Hasselblad still trades on the name of Victor Hasselblad, the Apollo programme and the 500 V series cameras (I didn't go on to the H and digital Hasselblads). A fine heritage, but have their products matched that heritage? The Lunar & Stellar ...

Pause for thought - Hasselblad has had a huge marketing flilip from the announcement of this product. It's a game changer, and the idea is really very good. Can they actually pull it off? Not very impressive EVF, some confusing and muddled thinking about the firmware and what will work and what won't ... at this stage, the jury is out. Hasselblad may have stumbled onto a fabulous concept, and they may be about to make a complete hash of delivering what everyone hopes the product will be. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but this looks like new territory for Hasselblad, where I'm not sure they have a great track record.

If I go down this rabbit hole, I might wait for version 2 ...

Meanwhile, Fuji is the quiet achiever. They seem to have the background and the skill to make what just might be a very nice camera (if lacking the rather attractive packaging and marketing of the X1D).

I'm with Peter on this - why would anyone count the Fuji out; if they actually want to take lovely medium format pictures in a portable package - both cameras use the same sensor, afterall.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Love my SL for overall image quality; DR, sharpness of the M lenses et.al. As of late, I've had more than a few instances where 24mp really isn't enough. I am looking at a MF system, and am leaning towards the 'Blad, or a pre-owned MF back of some sort. For much of my commercial work, the full-flash-sync of a leaf shutter lens would be mandatory. Having shot with an RZ in the film days, it's a feature I miss everytime I shoot with my DSLR or SL.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Love my SL for overall image quality; DR, sharpness of the M lenses et.al. As of late, I've had more than a few instances where 24mp really isn't enough. I am looking at a MF system, and am leaning towards the 'Blad, or a pre-owned MF back of some sort. For much of my commercial work, the full-flash-sync of a leaf shutter lens would be mandatory. Having shot with an RZ in the film days, it's a feature I miss everytime I shoot with my DSLR or SL.

You should get the Leica S and be done with it........you know you want to :)

The SL is Versertile has Distinctive Sensor and Quality Glasses. While the X1D & GFX50s have a Common Sony Sensor.

The Sony sensor is excellent. Better than the SL's.

The SL's sensor is good enough but definitely not an advantage over these MF cameras.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The SL is Versertile has Distinctive Sensor and Quality Glasses. While the X1D & GFX50s have a Common Sony Sensor.

but it's not MF and its ugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The general idea is to take photo's with the camera, not of the camera.

No way Bro. It's like ....... no I won't go there, but pretty is definitely better than ugly
  • Like 1

...............Can someone please explain why the Fuji shouldn't be taken seriously? ......

Fuji X files have always been exceptionally clean with colour rendering arguably better for wedding & portrait photography than either Nikon or Canon, I see no reason why output from the GFX will not be at least as good. Fuji have listened to users and the XT-2 spec now matches most professional requirements which are carried over to the GFX and Fuji lenses don't need much additional comment. I could easily see myself using XT-2 and GFX together for my commissioned work.

I have recently had some time to use a CFV-50c back (on loan, courtesy of Hasselblad UK) with my 503cw, so I have a good idea of the kind of file quality I can expect of the X1D.

More testing, hands-on comparisons and thinking about which way to go (I have no interest in anything Leica have offer at this stage). Fuji and Hasselblad have between them produced large sensor portable camera systems that will have a major impact on other manufacturers, including Leica.

• Like 2