Considering returning to b/w film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My only advice is to test your resolve before plunging into film again.   Buy a decent film camera like an M6 or M3 or even an old Nikon and shoot a few rolls of film.  Have them developed elsewhere before you start investing in tanks and chemicals (unless you already have).  That will let you see if your scanner works and let you figure out whether and how often you want to do film.  If you change your mind, you will probably be able to sell the camera for about what you paid for it.

I started with film in 1959 and did not go digital until maybe 10 years ago, so I was very comfortable with processing, though I was an early adopter of scanning and PS even when I was shooting film.  I had a brief return to film some years ago with a M6 (indeed, I think I did it twice), but each time returned to digital, mostly for reasons of time (time between capture and seeing an image as well as time to set aside for developing and scanning).  I recognize that for many film is worth it, but this is an individual thing.  And it can change over time.  I no longer have a film Leica, but still have five old film cameras that could seduce me at some time.  If the pull is strong enough for you after trying it out, by all means do it.

• Like 2

My only advice is to test your resolve before plunging into film again.   Buy a decent film camera like an M6 or M3 or even an old Nikon and shoot a few rolls of film.  Have them developed elsewhere before you start investing in tanks and chemicals (unless you already have).  That will let you see if your scanner works and let you figure out whether and how often you want to do film.  If you change your mind, you will probably be able to sell the camera for about what you paid for it.

I agree with the part about trying an old Nikon or similar, you don't need to drop the money on a Leica just yet, something like a Canon QL III rangefinder can be had for not much and will produce excellent results. I'm using a QL III and an Olympus Pen right now as I work my way through my collection of film cameras trying to see which focal lengths I'm happiest with before I buy an M2 or M3.

Once you've run a few rolls you will know that you definitely do want to return to film.

• Like 1

Thanks to all!!!  First step is getting the Flextight 848 working.  Large hurdle as is around 15 years old from Imacon, before Hasseblad took over.  Am sure I have no software that works on our current computers nor connections.  If doesn't work, then the decision to invest in a new scanner or just send out to be scanned starting out.  The Flextight worth trying as takes medium format.  Am also toying around with the idea of getting back into that as well.  I have to admit, I was not that into scanning and more into the dark room back then.  I don't even remember LR?  Was all Photoshop which I still do not like.  Now completely comfortable with LR, so will rely on scanning.

Am on the hunt now for used M.  I still have my R7 but it stopped working years ago, frozen shutter, might be fixable.  Am I ever kicking myself for letting both of my M6s go!!!  Moral of the story, if you love your camera, don't let go!  I do love my M246 however.  It got me thinking about film again.  And curiosity how will compare.  

thanks again, and may see me back up here on this topic asking questions once I find a used M.  Will be dusting off my knowledge of film developing.  Been awhile!

I used to have an 848 (now have the X1). It has firewire connections and works with the current version of FlexColor. It will almost certainly need a service at Hasselblad if it has sat unused for 10 years. My Imacons have worked fine with Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adaptors, and these days a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adaptor sits on the end of that and it still works!

Chris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gerry, nice shots and story! Perfectly exposed and scanned. No digital photos come close. The highlights are well controlled, shadow is smooth. Details are not lost. 

I returned to film a few months ago when I purchased an M7 as a back-up camera for my M9, and since then I have really loved being back with film again. I used to shoot film a lot, having a M6, M4 and M3, together with a R8 and R6.2. I was persuaded to switch to digital by a pro colleague about 14 years ago because Leica did not have a digital camera at that time, and I have regretted it ever since. I now love my M9, but my M7 is getting a lot of work for projects like this which was shot entirely on the M7 using Fuji Neopan 400CN film and a 35mm Summarit lens. I particularly like the Fuji film because it is C-41 process so I can get it processed virtually everywhere, and it scans beautifully. I am using a Plustec 8200 scanner with Silverfast software.

Just one word of warning, if you haven't used your scanner for a long time you may find that the software is our of date and has not been upgraded. If this is the case try looking at Vuescan which works with virtually any scanner and is very good.

Do it and enjoy!

Gerry

Your pictures are very well done! I like them, they are so organic! Theodor

That is a very kind comment - thank you! For some reason I did not get this notified to me, so apologies for the late comment.

Edited by gwpics

Gerry, nice shots and story! Perfectly exposed and scanned. No digital photos come close. The highlights are well controlled, shadow is smooth. Details are not lost. 

Thank you very much. I appreciate your comment, and you are correct about them being different/better than digital but so often I need the higher iso that I can get with the M9.

Gerry

It seems to me you have everything you need: skill and experience to develop yourself, lenses and a great scanner.

I would not over-stress the time needed. Naturally, it all depends on individual circumstances, but I've so far never found that I couldn't shoot film, which is the only photography I do (and quite a lot of it at that) while having a normal life on the side, haha.

Chemicals and developing equipment are inexpensive.  A Jobo, while cool, is not necessary. Just get the kit you had before, it can be found for very little these days. If your scanner is in working order (and you have the computer to run it) I cannot see why this shouldn't be a very enjoyable return to silver for you.

I'm sure Doc Henry will make the point, but just in case he doesn't, please post results in the forum's most active thread, I like film.

br, and welcome back

Philip

Thanks Philip to mention "I like film" thread in "Other"  section :)

5 years of digital it's enough for me , back now to film

No "cutting" edges and lines , too much agressive , not artistic in the true sense of term

In film black is real black and white is real white  and no banding in black

To reply to Billinglady,  a good result is print and it needs an enlarger , not scanner (just 

good to post in web) and to send photos by mail to family and friends .

Print and you can after hang your b&w picture on the wall , with a nice black frame and

a wide margin like this picture below , I have print on Ilford silver paper in 30x40 cms.

Nicer than on inkjet print (not the same process : simple ink deposit)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

it's better than on your scan believe me !

B&w development of film is very easy and work is well done with no scratches.

I also develop myself in color C41 process. 

I have still my 2 digital cam but they sleep now in my Billingham bag

Hope it helps your decision to move to film

Best

Henry

As said Philip please post your pictures here :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-888

and thanks

Good photos

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 10

Just an update. The Flextight 848 is toast so far.  Next step is to see if can be fixed or buy new scanner, trying to avoid money down the drain chasing the old 848.  This is turning into a longer term project and may punt to winter months when have more time.

I do appreciate working with an enlarger as done this years before and was great!  I see the difference between film and digital.  Film is better and have yet to see a digital print as nice.  Certainly this is peaking my interest.  Another darkroom may be in my future :).

Just an update. The Flextight 848 is toast so far.  Next step is to see if can be fixed or buy new scanner, trying to avoid money down the drain chasing the old 848.  This is turning into a longer term project and may punt to winter months when have more time.

I do appreciate working with an enlarger as done this years before and was great!  I see the difference between film and digital.  Film is better and have yet to see a digital print as nice.  Certainly this is peaking my interest.  Another darkroom may be in my future :).

I think both film and digital are equally valid, and both have their place in the photographic repertoire. Personally, I never want to see a darkroom again as long as I live, but shooting digital for SOME of my work has revitalised it, and I am re-enjoying what I am doing. I guess it is each to his own.

Gerry

I think both film and digital are equally valid, and both have their place in the photographic repertoire. Personally, I never want to see a darkroom again as long as I live, but shooting digital for SOME of my work has revitalised it, and I am re-enjoying what I am doing. I guess it is each to his own.

Gerry

Well, I certainly am not questioning the "validity" of digital or film but they are different.  After replacing my M240 with the M246, has me rethinking film for b/w and curious how compares, at least with a scanner starting out.  Had my share of dark rooms in my past as well and never figured I would ever consider again.  But as you say, it is each to their own.  Why not?, I say. 

• Like 1

Years ago had the full film setup with dark room, etc.  Been awhile.  Now after enjoying the monochrome digital 246, thinking about repurchasing a film M.  Loved my M6 cameras, btw.  Miss them. So my questions are, do most of you do your own film processing and use a scanner?  I have an Imacon Flextight  scanner, haven't turned on in over 10 years hoping still works.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Yes and no.  I do my own film processing but I do not own a scanner.  When I want black and white prints, I have my print man do the scanning and printing, or I get my friend who has a full darkroom and is an accomplished wet printer to make silver prints (of course, both alternatives come with a price tag).

JMHO but the biggest challenge of working with film is in the time it takes to process it.  Developing film is very time consuming, but it is still an enjoyable process.  After a day of developing multiple rolls of film, there is a feeling of accomplishment that comes with looking at those strips of negatives or chromes.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

JMHO but the biggest challenge of working with film is in the time it takes to process it.  Developing film is very time consuming, but it is still an enjoyable process.  After a day of developing multiple rolls of film, there is a feeling of accomplishment that comes with looking at those strips of negatives or chromes.

When I first moved back to shooting some film I found 2 things - firstly I have to shoot a film full of images rather than go back to the computer and scan maybe 7 street shots on a card, and secondly there is a delay before I can see what I have got. Now I find this kind of therapeutic as I like not being able to 'chimp' and having to reflect on what I may have. there is then a certain excitement when I view my 'captures' all over again.

Gerry

• Like 1

@Gerry,

The delayed viewing of your negatives when shooting film is undoubtedly one of the gifts of the process - when those negative strips come out of the final wash and are hung and squeegeed, it is like a little taste of Christmas morning to see them for the first time. 

Maybe I'm just weird but I have never been much for chimping; when I'm doing street or documentary work, I get caught up in the heat of the moment and will make 50-100 or more exposures without thinking to look at the viewscreen to see if I "got it."  Either I did or I didn't; if I stop to chimp, I realize I will miss many other valuable shots and that is the last thing I want to do.  That's just the way I shoot, and it seems to work for me.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

I agree with Carlos.

Precisely the non instant process is the subtle attraction. The capturing of the image, the processing of films, the scanning or printing. Enjoy the moment and surprises. In this world of instant (internet), it is a luxury to be able to shut the world and focus on the essentials.

@Gerry,

The delayed viewing of your negatives when shooting film is undoubtedly one of the gifts of the process - when those negative strips come out of the final wash and are hung and squeegeed, it is like a little taste of Christmas morning to see them for the first time. 

Maybe I'm just weird but I have never been much for chimping; when I'm doing street or documentary work, I get caught up in the heat of the moment and will make 50-100 or more exposures without thinking to look at the viewscreen to see if I "got it."  Either I did or I didn't; if I stop to chimp, I realize I will miss many other valuable shots and that is the last thing I want to do.  That's just the way I shoot, and it seems to work for me.

• Like 2

@Gerry,

I agree with you, I never chimp a lot but occasionally I do because the temptation is there. It is like eating chocolate - I never buy the stuff but if somebody buys me some it gets eaten.

• Like 2

Just an update. The Flextight 848 is toast so far.  Next step is to see if can be fixed or buy new scanner, trying to avoid money down the drain chasing the old 848.  This is turning into a longer term project and may punt to winter months when have more time  :).

Out of interest, why is your 848 toast ?

I have one and it runs perfectly.  Updated FlexColor software is available for download on the Hasselblad site in the support area and it will run on the latest Apple computers; it's FireWire and not a Scusi connection.  Might even be a USB connection there.  Scanning isn't demanding in terms of computing power and the scanner will run happily on an older machine if you want a dedicated setup.  New light tubes are available cheaply and you can replace them yourself.  The scanner is supplied with two tubes, one being a spare and its clipped inside the machine.

Hasselblad has appointed service centres to service the scanners and servicing is not expensive.  Returning to Sweden would be.

You can process your files in FlexColor, Lightroom, or Photoshop, or even a mix of the three.

Good luck with it.

Gary

• Like 1