Considering returning to b/w film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Years ago had the full film setup with dark room, etc.  Been awhile.  Now after enjoying the monochrome digital 246, thinking about repurchasing a film M.  Loved my M6 cameras, btw.  Miss them. So my questions are, do most of you do your own film processing and use a scanner?  I have an Imacon Flextight  scanner, haven't turned on in over 10 years hoping still works.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

I use a local lab to develop and scan, I then process the files, if necessary, and print myself. I have processed my own film in the past but my current volume of B/W film doesn't justify it. 

My my printing is done mostly on a Canon PIXMA photo printer.

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 1

I own two digital Ms (M9, MP240) and three film Leicas (MP, iiif, iiig), and was a film shooter long before digital although I didn't have my own full darkroom setup, etc. Currently I process my own black and white negs at home and scan with an Epson V700 in Lightroom with reasonable success.  I can process most film pretty quick - it only takes me less than 30 minutes to have a roll hanging to dry; scanning does take longer of course but it's not commercial work I'm usually doing where some 'instant turnaround' is supposedly required. I find it relaxing and enjoyable, and do other things around the house I need to do anyway while the scanning is doing its thing. Mountains of arguments have been made about film vs. digital; for me it's a bit more straightforward in that I really love the film cameras. Using my iiig for example is just such a pleasure. I've flirted with the idea of a Monochrom. 

I find my biggest struggles though lie in shooting colour film within my workflow. Besides missing Kodachrome (god I miss Kodachrome...), I really struggle to get the tones I'm looking for with colour film (negative or slide) being scanned. I've seen some other people's work (usually modelling but not always; usually natural light) shot with the same emulsions and lenses I've used and it looks stunning (not the models but the tones and colours etc.). Not sure what I'm doing wrong...but I'm definitely doing something wrong.  

• Like 4

I own two digital Ms (M9, MP240) and three film Leicas (MP, iiif, iiig), and was a film shooter long before digital although I didn't have my own full darkroom setup, etc. Currently I process my own black and white negs at home and scan with an Epson V700 in Lightroom with reasonable success.  I can process most film pretty quick - it only takes me less than 30 minutes to have a roll hanging to dry; scanning does take longer of course but it's not commercial work I'm usually doing where some 'instant turnaround' is supposedly required. I find it relaxing and enjoyable, and do other things around the house I need to do anyway while the scanning is doing its thing. Mountains of arguments have been made about film vs. digital; for me it's a bit more straightforward in that I really love the film cameras. Using my iiig for example is just such a pleasure. I've flirted with the idea of a Monochrom. 

I find my biggest struggles though lie in shooting colour film within my workflow. Besides missing Kodachrome (god I miss Kodachrome...), I really struggle to get the tones I'm looking for with colour film (negative or slide) being scanned. I've seen some other people's work (usually modelling but not always; usually natural light) shot with the same emulsions and lenses I've used and it looks stunning (not the models but the tones and colours etc.). Not sure what I'm doing wrong...but I'm definitely doing something wrong.  

Thanks!  I used to develop my own film and was enjoyable and not too difficult once mastered getting the film off and into the processing equipment in the dark.  I let go off all my film cameras awhile back, Leicas, Hasselblad, Mimaya to get into my first digital M.  Now regretting letting go of all.  Not into colour.  Only B/W.  Back then I also lived far far away from any lab.  Wondering if worth it to just send off rolls to be developed vs doing it myself and dealing with the chemicals.  I used to print also from negatives, but the chemicals really bothered me, so stopped.  But didn't have that issue with the film developing.  Looking forward to giving it another whirl.  Hinges on if scanner still works.......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Years ago had the full film setup with dark room, etc.  Been awhile.  Now after enjoying the monochrome digital 246, thinking about repurchasing a film M.  Loved my M6 cameras, btw.  Miss them. So my questions are, do most of you do your own film processing and use a scanner?  I have an Imacon Flextight  scanner, haven't turned on in over 10 years hoping still works.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Interestingly, I went the same way. I bought a M 246 and ended up with the M-A. I started again processing B&W recently. I have a Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED which hadn't been used since 2005!

I can only encourage you, it is really worth it!!

Theodor

• Like 2

Thanks!  I used to develop my own film and was enjoyable and not too difficult once mastered getting the film off and into the processing equipment in the dark.  I let go off all my film cameras awhile back, Leicas, Hasselblad, Mimaya to get into my first digital M.  Now regretting letting go of all.  Not into colour.  Only B/W.  Back then I also lived far far away from any lab.  Wondering if worth it to just send off rolls to be developed vs doing it myself and dealing with the chemicals.  I used to print also from negatives, but the chemicals really bothered me, so stopped.  But didn't have that issue with the film developing.  Looking forward to giving it another whirl.  Hinges on if scanner still works.......

Do it yourself, after a bit of practicing you will love the results!

Theodor

• Like 3

I got too busy for real photography and packed up my darkroom about 1990. Got back into photography after I retired and the M9 came out, then got my film Leicas serviced and started collecting and repairing old cameras. When local processing vanished, started B&W processing again to check my repair work, found I enjoyed it again, so do a roll or two most weeks.

Had to store my printing gear again when my son's family of 5 moved in for a year while they built a new home, so I've just been scanning negatives.

The chemistry I used decades ago is gone, and I switched to methods more feasible for the occasional roll: a 250 ml single roll tank, Rodinal diluted for a roll when I need it, etc. and just use a changing bag to load a reel. I can set up, process, and clean up and store in about 30 minutes, then scan in a whole short (20-24 exp) roll (bulk loaded) on an Epson V700 at one time.

So yes, once you get going again it is still very convenient ans feasible.

• Like 1

I returned to film a few months ago when I purchased an M7 as a back-up camera for my M9, and since then I have really loved being back with film again. I used to shoot film a lot, having a M6, M4 and M3, together with a R8 and R6.2. I was persuaded to switch to digital by a pro colleague about 14 years ago because Leica did not have a digital camera at that time, and I have regretted it ever since. I now love my M9, but my M7 is getting a lot of work for projects like this which was shot entirely on the M7 using Fuji Neopan 400CN film and a 35mm Summarit lens. I particularly like the Fuji film because it is C-41 process so I can get it processed virtually everywhere, and it scans beautifully. I am using a Plustec 8200 scanner with Silverfast software.

Just one word of warning, if you haven't used your scanner for a long time you may find that the software is our of date and has not been upgraded. If this is the case try looking at Vuescan which works with virtually any scanner and is very good.

Do it and enjoy!

Gerry

• Like 7

For about the same money as a digital M a person can buy:

- a used film M

- a used scanner

- a Jobo CPP3

- a used enlarger

- chemicals and film

The Jobo lets you develop with practically no contact with chemicals.  That and the scanner let you take complete control of the process, if your endpoint is digital.  If you want to go on to print, there's the elarger and process in the Jobo, again no contact with chemicals and no ventilation issues.

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

I returned to film a few months ago when I purchased an M7 as a back-up camera for my M9, and since then I have really loved being back with film again. I used to shoot film a lot, having a M6, M4 and M3, together with a R8 and R6.2. I was persuaded to switch to digital by a pro colleague about 14 years ago because Leica did not have a digital camera at that time, and I have regretted it ever since. I now love my M9, but my M7 is getting a lot of work for projects like this which was shot entirely on the M7 using Fuji Neopan 400CN film and a 35mm Summarit lens. I particularly like the Fuji film because it is C-41 process so I can get it processed virtually everywhere, and it scans beautifully. I am using a Plustec 8200 scanner with Silverfast software.

Just one word of warning, if you haven't used your scanner for a long time you may find that the software is our of date and has not been upgraded. If this is the case try looking at Vuescan which works with virtually any scanner and is very good.

Do it and enjoy!

Gerry

Your pictures are very well done! I like them, they are so organic! Theodor

• Like 1

For about the same money as a digital M a person can buy:

- a used film M

- a used scanner

- a Jobo CPP3

- a used enlarger

- chemicals and film

The Jobo lets you develop with practically no contact with chemicals.  That and the scanner let you take complete control of the process, if your endpoint is digital.  If you want to go on to print, there's the elarger and process in the Jobo, again no contact with chemicals and no ventilation issues.

Got rid of my Jobo  as figured would not use it again few years ago.  Oooooops!  I never got around to using it to develop prints though.  Good suggestion but just scanning will be enough for me.  I will be curious how well the scanning does compared to the image files get off my 246.

Do it and enjoy!

Gerry

Great photos!  It will take some work to see what is needed to get this Flextight scanner going again.  Don't even have connections to more current computers, so see an uphill battle or go get a new scanner.

• Like 1

What are you waiting for? You have the lenses, you have a good scanner. I'm not sure what you're expecting to find by comparing your scans to M246 files files, though. Put that thing out of your mind and enjoy the process.

• Like 1

It seems to me you have everything you need: skill and experience to develop yourself, lenses and a great scanner.

I would not over-stress the time needed. Naturally, it all depends on individual circumstances, but I've so far never found that I couldn't shoot film, which is the only photography I do (and quite a lot of it at that) while having a normal life on the side, haha.

Chemicals and developing equipment are inexpensive.  A Jobo, while cool, is not necessary. Just get the kit you had before, it can be found for very little these days. If your scanner is in working order (and you have the computer to run it) I cannot see why this shouldn't be a very enjoyable return to silver for you.

I'm sure Doc Henry will make the point, but just in case he doesn't, please post results in the forum's most active thread, I like film.

br, and welcome back
Philip

Got rid of my Jobo  as figured would not use it again few years ago.  Oooooops!  I never got around to using it to develop prints though.  Good suggestion but just scanning will be enough for me.  I will be curious how well the scanning does compared to the image files get off my 246.

• Like 4

Thanks to all!!!  First step is getting the Flextight 848 working.  Large hurdle as is around 15 years old from Imacon, before Hasseblad took over.  Am sure I have no software that works on our current computers nor connections.  If doesn't work, then the decision to invest in a new scanner or just send out to be scanned starting out.  The Flextight worth trying as takes medium format.  Am also toying around with the idea of getting back into that as well.  I have to admit, I was not that into scanning and more into the dark room back then.  I don't even remember LR?  Was all Photoshop which I still do not like.  Now completely comfortable with LR, so will rely on scanning.

Am on the hunt now for used M.  I still have my R7 but it stopped working years ago, frozen shutter, might be fixable.  Am I ever kicking myself for letting both of my M6s go!!!  Moral of the story, if you love your camera, don't let go!  I do love my M246 however.  It got me thinking about film again.  And curiosity how will compare.  

thanks again, and may see me back up here on this topic asking questions once I find a used M.  Will be dusting off my knowledge of film developing.  Been awhile!

billinghambaglady - I've been agonizing over the same thing after shooting three rolls of Tri-X for the first time in ten years, see this thread, titled Go back to film? Sell the M9-P/MM? Wanna talk me down?, with lot's of examples.

On scanning, I've given up on my Imacon Precision 3 and decided to use "camera scanning" with the Leitz BEOON copy stand with the M9 or the MM — see this LUF thread.

I'll be interested to see where you come out.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

I am not sure why this subject always seems so fraught and emotional. "Considering returning to b/w film" ... Just buy a film body, pull out your developing equipment, and do it. There's nothing difficult or traumatic about it. There wasn't anything but film for the first thirty-three years I was doing photography. I shoot film when I want to see film images. 

These days I have little spare time for it, so I streamline my process as much as possible to get to the good stuff, which for me is rendering whatever I've captured into prints and web images. I only process negatives, almost exclusively B&W: I do all my negatives in an Agfa Rondix 35, Rondinax 35U, or Rondinax 60 tank (depending on film format and which tank falls readily to hand). I use one and only one developing regimen—HC-110 diluted from concentrate 1:49 to make 200ml of developer fresh each time, and process for 8 minutes at 68°F, with pre-rinse, between-rinse, same length fix, 10 changes of water to wash. I adjust my EI at capture time to accommodate minor film sensitivity and contrast differences from experience. I then scan 35mm film with a Nikon Coolscan V ED and VueScan (or a macro-copy setup using the SL and a Leica R bellows arrangement). I scan 6x6 using the SL and a BEOON macro stand most of the time nowadays because pulling out the Nikon Coolscan 9000 scanner is a lot of work. 

Just go for it if you feel the need to work with film images. They're different from digital images.  :)

• Like 1