German Hospitality at its Best!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As many of you know, I posted that I would be in Germany from May 14 for six weeks, and asked if there were any Leica German photographers that I could meet.

Hartmut (aka hartgraef) was quick to respond and we soon met shortly after I arrived in Berlin. Hartmut was the perfect host. After coffee we walked Berlin for several hours, and took in a couple of photo galleries. One in particular was a B & W exhibition by UK photographer Nick Brandt.

The exhibition documented the vanishing natural world and animals of East Africa. The framed prints were mega in size, and many of them a bargain at over 100,000 Euros – I could only afford to purchase three (as if)? . . . The best photo exhibition I have ever seen.

Then Hartmut treated me to his Ninja style of Street photography . . . His weapon of choice was a Leica X1. I was mesmerised at the speed in which Hartmut could take a shot without anyone being the slightest bit aware of his presence. 

Hartmut is part of a group of about twenty Leica ‘nutters' (as we all are) and arranged a dinner,  inviting two of his friends, that were extremely enthusiastic in providing me with invaluable info re shooting film, and also a wealth of knowledge re Leica cameras and lenses.

His two friends were Hendrik who regularly posts as ‘Berlinman’ and Christian who posts as ‘caugustin’.

Firstly, thanks so much to Hartmut for being such an amazing host and for his generosity and helpfulness in introducing me to Hendrik and Christian. And secondly, a huge thanks to Hendrik and Christian for so enthusiastically passing on their knowledge.

. . . Can I recommend a Leica trip to Berlin . . . I’m sure you know the answer to that question!

Regards to all from Berlin

ziggy
  • Like 3

Mark . . . It would have scrambled your brains!!!

. . . Also Mark - Many thanks for being my mentor and for your generosity in loaning me your amazing Leica CL to take to Berlin - An absolute joy to handle and shoot!

Cheers

ziggy

• Like 1

That is cool! It would be nice to get in touch with your new friend as I am especially interested in his street work with Leica X1.

I have found my X1 is capable of more than I imagined five years ago when I bought it!