Soft release, hot or not?

HenrikP

I do not like it on a digital M. It provokes "jabbing" the release. If you rest your finger on the release collar a small muscle twitch will release the shutter, keeping i the camera perfectly still. On a film camera, however, the release button is a bit deep for this technique and then a soft release is nice.

• Like 1

I bought one and because of the short stem allowed on the M 240 it kept unscrewing when the camera went in and out of my bag.  When I found it precariously dangling over a grate on the ground, I put it away and have not missed it.  

Edited by rjsphd

I don't really like using soft release on my M9. That said, when it rains I sometimes wish I had one to cover the shutter release button with.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Rus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the release on my M9 since my finger is a little bit long the way I hold the camera so the shutter is more under my knuckle than finger tip. Being able to lay my finger over a soft release feels so much more natural than having to bend my finger into the shutter button. The ones that are convex on the top are best for my needs.

• Like 1

I had an Abrahamsson large convex softie on my now departed film MP; I liked it and used it for several years before I finally lost it (have yet to replace it).

A word of warning about softies, though:  I talked with Sherry Krauter about them.  She said they were okay to use, as long as you are very mindful and careful with your M while the softie is mounted on it.  Impact from either dropping the camera top side down or dropping something onto the softie smashing it down causes an "astounding amount of damage to the inner workings of the camera" (her description).  Sherry has had to repair a couple of softie impact damaged M cameras and it is apparently a nightmare for both her and the paying customer to set things right with the kind of carnage that a smashed in softie causes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one for my M240 and I have one for my film Ms but I find that it makes my shutter release notchy feeling (where I don't recall it always being like that). I've since stopped using them and I seem to be no worse for the wear. I like the idea of them, but I don't feel compelled to use them.

I do not like it on a digital M. It provokes "jabbing" the release. If you rest your finger on the release collar a small muscle twitch will release the shutter, keeping i the camera perfectly still.

I agree 100% with the above.

When I tried a soft-release I found I was almost 'searching' for the top of the release button instead of just letting the tip of my finger rest in the 'cup' and giving it the slight squeeze required to trip the shutter. YMMV, of course.

In any event I always keep my shutter on the "Discr. & Soft" setting and have discovered it's perfectly reasonable to shoot at as little as 1/4 sec with no noticeable camera shake (50mm lens).

Pip.

Edited by pippy

I have just installed a soft release on my M8. For me, the improvement was immediate. The sensation of pressing through the pre-release movement and sensing the definite point of shutter actuation is more pronounced. I find it a benefit worth the money

• Like 1

The expressed Abrahamsson mini is a blessing when wearing gloves or a prosthetic. I would think the former would appeal to anyone in cold climates.

Oh, I think a hotshoe mini-umbrella might be good for friends in England.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1