Leica M (240) FW 2.0.3.0 Problems

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently updated to FW 2.0.3.0 and have been having intermittent and quite serious problems since doing so:

(1) Fails to reliably detect presence of the lens

This has three different manifestations:

(i) "unknown" lens in meta data

(ii) live view will not turn on - get an error message "No Lens Attached"

(iii) live view will turn off (because it fails to detect the lens)

I did not have this problem before I did the update. It is "fixed" by fiddling with the lens (moving it around), occasionally I have to actually take it off and put it back on again.

(2) I've also noticed that it takes much longer to "wake up" when it has powered off. It seems like it is slower reading from the SD card than it was.

So, 2 requests:

Firstly, has anyone else had this problem, if so, any fixes for it?

Secondly, I would prefer to go back to the previous FW version. I wasn't able to find it though (as the link the forum had posted redirects only to the latest release). Is there any list of ALL of the FW releases that Leica has put it out? I can't even remember the previous version (I think it was 2.0.2.5, in July, but I thought there was a FW release in November as well).

Thanks for any help,

William

Edited by bill-au

I encounter other issues after the upgrade to 2.0.3.0. After sending my camera in, Leica wrote me today that they will replace the shutter And another important information:

"Carry out software adjustment"

It seems like we would get a new firmware update soon.

However, If you have to fiddle with the lens to be detected, then it sounds like hardware issue than software (Firmware) issue. Do you have any other lenses to try with?

As for Firmware downgrade, I think that is not possible. The camera will ignore the lower Firmware on the SD card and won't even give you an update option. Nevertheless, I have the firmware on my storage and if it is possible I can send it to you.

• Like 1

Is there any list of ALL of the FW releases that Leica has put it out?

Thanks for any help,

William

FW_M240_1_1_0_2.FW

FW_M240_2_0_0_11.FW

FW_M240_2_0_0_12.FW

M_240-2.0.1.5.FW

M_240-2.0.1.7.FW

M_240-2.0.2.5.FW

M240_2030.FW

• Like 1

I recently updated to FW 2.0.3.0 and have been having intermittent and quite serious problems since doing so:

I did not have this problem before I did the update. It is "fixed" by fiddling with the lens (moving it around), occasionally I have to actually take it off and put it back on again.

(2) I've also noticed that it takes much longer to "wake up" when it has powered off. It seems like it is slower reading from the SD card than it was.

So, 2 requests:

Secondly, I would prefer to go back to the previous FW version. I wasn't able to find it though (as the link the forum had posted redirects only to the latest release). Is there any list of ALL of the FW releases that Leica has put it out? I can't even remember the previous version (I think it was 2.0.2.5, in July, but I thought there was a FW release in November as well).

Thanks for any help,

William

I can only offer the same old advice of 'do not keep your finger on the lens release button when mounting the lens, let it snap into place'. Keeping your finger on the release button allows the lens to go over-centre on the mount and the coding detents end up fractionally out of alignment and the rangefinder mechanism and frameline indicator to be out of position. Of course you may not be keeping your finger on the lens release button in which case the camera could have a fault, but all your descriptions point in this direction.

• Like 1

I can only offer the same old advice of 'do not keep your finger on the lens release button when mounting the lens, let it snap into place'. Keeping your finger on the release button allows the lens to go over-centre on the mount and the coding detents end up fractionally out of alignment and the rangefinder mechanism and frameline indicator to be out of position. Of course you may not be keeping your finger on the lens release button in which case the camera could have a fault, but all your descriptions point in this direction.

Yes, thanks, but I don't do that.

I actually think it is a software problem, as firstly it did just start happening after the FW update, I think even the day I did it.

I have also had the camera serviced at the end of last year. Also when the LV switches off, I just switch it on again, it goes on, then 50/50 either stays on, or if it goes off again I have to tweak the lens. It doesn't happen right after I change the lens, but just at random times, sometimes days after I have had a lens on. It happens with any lens, not a specific one.

I have also written to Leica and reported the problem, so will see what they say,

Thanks

William

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I have updated the firmware on my Leica M Type 240 to version 2.0.3.0, and now I can't delete files. I press delete, and nothing happens after I confirm with info button. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Found the solution myself - Set button confirms the deletion.

Andrey

Edited by andreyka

Hello!

I have updated the firmware on my Leica M Type 240 to version 2.0.3.0, and now I can't delete files. I press delete, and nothing happens after I confirm with info button. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Found the solution myself - Set button confirms the deletion.

Andrey

Thank you - I thought I was the ONLY person that had this same exact problem, unable to delete!!

Your solution - use SET button - deletes just fine.  Thanks.

Same firmware 2.0.3.0 as you.

Between the "check battery age" fiasco and then this "delete problem" I was unable to offer my M240 for sale.

Living in the dreary NorthWest I will shoot for the rest of the summer and come winter I will send back to Leica to fix.

So far the "Leica experience" has been a headache.

My Sony A7R II with Zeiss and Leica glass makes me much happier.

Love the Leica lens, hate the camera.

You cannot sell a camera because of operator error? That is a new one for me.

Maybe it would be a good idea to read the manual. The Set button has always been the delete confirmation. It seems illogical to attempt to use the Info button for the purpose.

BTW, before the firmware update I have seen plenty of M240 cameras sell on eBay, all with the Check Battery Age bug, and for good prices too.

Between the "check battery age" fiasco and then this "delete problem" I was unable to offer my M240 for sale.

Living in the dreary NorthWest I will shoot for the rest of the summer and come winter I will send back to Leica to fix.

You can fix the "check battery age fiasco" without sending the camera to Leica. Just install the new software. The fix is much easier and much more reliable than - say - the "lens cap makes dark frames" fiasko or the "shutter won't release when camera is turned off" debacle, which Leica has been notoriously reluctant to fix.

• Like 4

Can we please stay on topic here? This is not a bitch-at-Leica thread. This thread was begun with a specific problem of lens detection with a FW update, and I'd really prefer that posts stayed on that topic, rather than general concerns or issues with this (or any) M update. Thanks.

To the original topic, is this happening on all lenses?   If so, there may be a hardware issue.  This is not to my mind a generally reported problem with 2.030 which was directed, if I recall, to the erroneous battery message.  But I do not remember seeing anything like this with 2.025 either.  A good way to tell is to see if it happens with your lenses on another body with 2.030.  A dealer might be willing to help you.  Or maybe a member here if you let us know where you are.

Can we please stay on topic here? This is not a bitch-at-Leica thread. This thread was begun with a specific problem of lens detection with a FW update, and I'd really prefer that posts stayed on that topic, rather than general concerns or issues with this (or any) M update. Thanks.

Activate Joke  Detector ;)

I have the phenomenon that sometimes when I turn the liveview on, the screen remains dark. After switching off and on, it works again.

I doubt that this is a firmware bug,  far more cameras would have the issue in that case.

So, 2 requests:

Thanks for any help,

William

@ #1 This is usually caused by dirt on the lens detection LEDs window.

#2 You cannot go back in firmware, so finding it won't help you. Slow wakeup is usually caused by the SD card.

• Like 1