Will we ever see a Leica wide angle 15mm F/2.8 for the M?

Eastgreenlander

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know there are design challenges, the M having a short distance from the mount to the sensor but why not? I know one could buy a Zeiss 15mm distagon F/2.8 nikon mount and put it on the M via an adapter. But I would love see a Leica M F/2.8 15mm. Ever going to happen? Would you be interested in such a lens?

Zeiss Distagon-ZM 2.8/15 T*

This is one of the most beautifully made lenses I have owned.  The only issue with it is red edge on colour M digitals.  If you don't want to fluff about with Cornerfix, on the Monochrom it's fantastic.  There are times when the higher contrast and colour rendition of Zeiss lenses makes a pleasant change from Leica lenses.

The depth of field is so huge, in practice, you don't need to focus this lens at all (it isn't RF coupled, so you need to look at the focusing scale on the lens) - even at 2.8, you just set a hyperfocal distance, and you'll get pretty much everything in focus.  I should add that it has about 2 stops of vignetting, so I use mine with the supplied centre-weighted ND filter.

Everytime I think of selling this lens, I can't bear to part with it.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Zeiss Distagon-ZM 2.8/15 T*

This is one of the most beautifully made lenses I have owned.  The only issue with it is red edge on colour M digitals.  If you don't want to fluff about with Cornerfix, on the Monochrom it's fantastic.  There are times when the higher contrast and colour rendition of Zeiss lenses makes a pleasant change from Leica lenses.

The depth of field is so huge, in practice, you don't need to focus this lens at all (it isn't RF coupled, so you need to look at the focusing scale on the lens) - even at 2.8, you just set a hyperfocal distance, and you'll get pretty much everything in focus.  I should add that it has about 2 stops of vignetting, so I use mine with the supplied centre-weighted ND filter.

Everytime I think of selling this lens, I can't bear to part with it.

Cheers

John

John the problem is I need F2.8 to aurora borealis and night images here in Greenland. Love to do Aurora images. Put on a the centre-weighted ND filter and the lens do not work as a F2.8 any more, more like a F4?(thats what I´ve read). The color edge fringes would not look nice either and for landscape BW is not for me. 

I suspect if Leica was to put out a ultra wide angle F/2.8, it would be on the SL system but one can surely hope they would release one for the M too. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens will work without the ND filter, but then you just need to back off the vignetting in post processing.  The red edge isn't that strong, but it is there - with Aurora Borealis, I can see that eliminating the red edge without affecting the image would be tricky.

My widest Leica lens is the 21 Summilux, and I would also welcome a wider offering from Leica.  I would probably prefer it in the SL mount, though.  One of my favourite Nikon lenses was the AF-S Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8G ED zoom.  I rather hope Leica will develop some really nice, fast wides for the SL ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Ever tried Super-Elmarit-R 15/2.8 or 15/3.5 on the M?

No, but it could be a good lens on the SL.

Do you have one?

Edit - There's a new Elmarit-R 15/2.8 on offer in the Classifieds, for €5,000.00  :o

Edited by IkarusJohn