Leica T and 11/23 wide angle

I find it a well behaved lens in all light conditions. Colour is faithful and It’s sharp. In my opinion it is the best of the T zooms. Here’s a sample:

Leica T/11-23 ASPH at full zoom

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Volbeat.

I went ahead and purchased one.

Rob

I love mine. Ideally I'd like brighter than f/3.5 but you can't argue with the quality.

This from Edinburgh's Princes Street Gardens at 11mm.

And this at full zoom of the Gatehouse to Linlithgow Palace

• Like 1

I'd be interested to hear what you think Rob.

I am awaiting another T, should see it in a few days.

The lens selection is giving me cause for pain though and while my initial thoughts were just to use the M lenses I have, I'm now considering the native T lenses.

My previous T had the 18-56, and it was a small light convenient package. I'm tempted to get the 23mm and retain that small light form factor, but am also considering the T 11-23.

I like wide, so maybe this is an option. It would be nice to be able to see them, touch them, try them, but it's not easy or even possible here so I just need to take the plunge.

Gary

Gary,

I, too, like wide so decided on the 11-23 being my first. 

I had previously owned a T and had the 18-56, but ended up selling camera and lens, as the T was an original (no software update) and the 18-56 was a bit slower than I'd preferred. For my preferences now, I'd go with the 23 mm. rather than the 18-56 as it makes a very nice small package and gives one the low light performance.  I have a Leica Q, so will probably pass on the 23 mm. and opt for the 35 1.4 because of the excellent reviews, the low light performance, and the 50 mm. equivalence. 

I've thought - for me - the ideal T package would be the 18-56, the 55-135mm and the 35 1.4 or the 23 mm.  If one wants a particularly small package and is not inclined to spend the extra money on the 35 1.4 I'd go w the 23 mm.  And, I'd rather have the 55-135mm rather than the 18-56 mm.

Please let me know which direction you opt to go in.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Here's one from the 11-23

• Like 3

Hi Gary,

Nice to see you back here.

The 11-23 is an excellent lens. It spans a focal range where M lenses can't really compete because of the crop factor.

My most use combo is the 11-23 and a Summilux-M 35 FLE.

I passed on the Summicron 23 because of the amount of CA... and the size of the hood. When I want something small and light my preferred lens is an Elmarit-M 28 Asph. And it is sharper than the Summicron.

There are some shots taken with the 11-23 in this page: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/226003-post-your-t-shots-here/page-46

Hope this will give you some food for thoughts.

Jean-Pierre

• Like 1

Gary,
I reread my original post to you and need to correct it: My ideal package for the T would be the 11-23, (not the 18-56), 35mm (or 23 mm)  and the 55-135!

Sorry for any confusion!

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 3

I agree with Rob (ropo54) and have the 11-23 and the 55-135 with the 35mm on my shopping list. I didn't like the 18-56 when I tried it in Jessops and feel that the 23mm offers little extra for me over my X2.

Once I have that 35mm it could be the first time in a long time that I have the exact set-up I want.

I´ve started with the T & 18-56 (sold my X Vario for this combo) and continued with the 23 mm (selling my X1 at the moment for that on eBay). T & 23 is a small and light package and I got used to that focal length with the X1.

Unfortunately ;)  I couldn´t resist and bought additionally the 11-23 and the 55-135 from a LUF member just a few days ago. These 2 lenses complete the focal range. I´m still thinking about the 35 1.4 but before buying that I need to save some money to fill my empty bank account :rolleyes:

And I´m looking forward to what Photokina may bring us (a new T?)

• Like 1

I´ve started with the T & 18-56 (sold my X Vario for this combo) and continued with the 23 mm (selling my X1 at the moment for that on eBay). T & 23 is a small and light package and I got used to that focal length with the X1.

Unfortunately ;)  I couldn´t resist and bought additionally the 11-23 and the 55-135 from a LUF member just a few days ago. These 2 lenses complete the focal range. I´m still thinking about the 35 1.4 but before buying that I need to save some money to fill my empty bank account :rolleyes:

And I´m looking forward to what Photokina may bring us (a new T?)

As to the 35 1.4, it's size is moderately big so that the 23mm makes a much better travel companion. I used to have a X type 113 and liked it a lot.

I'm on the fence on the 35 1.4 but only because of price. I presume the eventual T2 will almost certainly not be full frame (or why would they have developed the 35 1.4?) so I suppose there will be a future demand for it. 

The 11-23mm is the best wide zoom I have owned and I have owned a lot of brands.  The rendering is special and it is very sharp.  It works great on interiors and building exteriors and just about anything else.

• Like 1