Adobe Lightroom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just learned from Leica U.S. that for all cameras shipped after Apr. 1 the scope of delivery is a 90-day trial of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC.  I was unaware of this fact until now and have consumed several hours investigating where I may be erring in my attemps to download and install the perpetual version of Lightroom.  I have also spent a couple hours participating in frustrating chats with Adobe a without achieving a resolution.

It would have been helpful to know this information before wasting time; I've already got a subscription to CC and don't need another.  While this fact wouldn't have altered my decision to purchase the camera, the addition of Lightroom is certainly a sweetener.  

Arrggghhh!

Joe.

Glad you posted this as I have LR6 already installed on my Mac that came with an M240 I got last year, but I've been having some stability issues with it that didn't get resolved when I just upgraded it to LR6.6.  So I was thinking that with the separate LR license I got from my purchase of a Q in mid April, I might just go ahead & uninstall my present LR & then download a new one with the second license.  Probably if I had tried to do this I would have found myself with only a 90 day license from the Q instead of the perpetual one that came with the first camera.  Whew, that was close!

A brief followup to my post of yesterday:  I received confirmation from Leica Camera AG, in Germany, that the desktop version of Lightroom is no longer included with Leica cameras.

Here's an extract from their email response:

"Thank you for your E-mail.  Please keep in mind, that Lightroom 6 is no longer part of the delivery for all Leica cameras which were manufactured after 1st  of April, 2016 .... That’s why you’ve received the 90 day trial Creative Cloud Photographic Plan."

The email went on to extoll the virtues of CC.

Perhaps this information can prevent others going down the rabbit hole, as I did.

Best,

Joe.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

t I've been having some stability issues with it that didn't get resolved when I just upgraded it to LR6.6. 

So how did you achieve the upgrade to 6.6? I am not the only person with LR6 (.0) perpetual who finds when checking for updates we get the message: program 'fully up to date'. (Actually I have gone back to LR% as 6 seems to take so long to open up on my Mac!) And apart from auto-eject of SD card there's not much new with 6 versus 5.)

Edited by microview

So how did you achieve the upgrade to 6.6? I am not the only person with LR6 (.0) perpetual who finds when checking for updates we get the message: program 'fully up to date'. (Actually I have gone back to LR% as 6 seems to take so long to open up on my Mac!) And apart from auto-eject of SD card there's not much new with 6 versus 5.)

My upgrade from 6.5 to 6.6 was simply done via "Help>Updates".

The 6.6 upgrade expands the "Transform" palette by including multiple manual functions (rotate, aspect, scale, offset ...).

This happened to me until I updated to the newest version of the Adobe Apllication Manager.  Alternatively, you could try this link https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

As in above, I did it through the Help>Update routine.  But you might have to follow the instructions for updating the CC version, which accepted & updated my perpetual license for LR6 version.

The 6.6 upgrade expands the "Transform" palette by including multiple manual functions (rotate, aspect, scale, offset ...).

Perpetual users do not receive new features like CC users.....they get basic changes like camera/lens updates, etc.  Features added after initial LR6, e.g., de-haze, localized black/whites, etc apply to CC only, not standalone LR 6 owners.....that will have to wait for LR 7, assuming there even is a standalone version, which I'm beginning to doubt.

Jeff

Perpetual users do not receive new features like CC users.....they get basic changes like camera/lens updates, etc.  Features added after initial LR6, e.g., de-haze, localized black/whites, etc apply to CC only, not standalone LR 6 owners.....that will have to wait for LR 7, assuming there even is a standalone version, which I'm beginning to doubt.

Jeff

That's why I was surprised, as a perpetual user, to see the newer "Transform" palette.

However, there were indeed none of the other additional features (de-haze, localised black/whites ...)

That's why I was surprised, as a perpetual user, to see the newer "Transform" palette.

However, there were indeed none of the other additional features (de-haze, localised black/whites ...)

I suspect that since the manual perspective controls were already in place, this was considered a 'fix' of sorts, rather than a new tool.  But, yes, any enhancements for perpetual users are unusual.

Jeff