Printing A2 size for portfolio binder....What media to use

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but anyway I have just ordered a couple of leather portfolio binders and plan to print off my best collect and place then into the binder. My question is what paper/canvas would be best for placing a A2 picture into a binder............I'm thinking something that can easily lie flat for a long period of time.

Mods please move this if its in the wrong forum ?

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Gerry

The problem is I have many types of media at home canvas/fine art papers/Luster etc etc that II use to hang pictures on a wall in a frame.................... I have never printed anything to place in a binder kind of book. Also most of my media is on a roll and I am thinking that is probably not the way to go??

Neil

If its a portfolio then my own approach would be to choose the paper that matches the image you want to make for each individual image, ie the same choice as you would make to put it on the wall.

If its a series of related images I would put the whole group on the same paper.

But if its bound as a book I would expect to use the same paper for all images on the book.

Gerry

Does the binder include 'sleeves' for each print?  Made of what? Configured how?  (Portfolio cases, which hold loose prints,  are different than binders.)

The image, print characteristics and your tastes should dictate the paper.   The binder shouldn't intrude; rather it should complement your intent, print size, etc.  Cart before horse?

BTW, there are rolling devices to appropriately flatter roll paper....  https://www.itsupplies.com/D-Roller-Paper-De-Curler

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does the binder include 'sleeves' for each print? Made of what? Configured how? (Portfolio cases, which hold loose prints, are different than binders.)

The image, print characteristics and your tastes should dictate the paper. The binder shouldn't intrude; rather it should complement your intent, print size, etc. Cart before horse?

BTW, there are rolling devices to appropriately flatter roll paper.... https://www.itsupplies.com/D-Roller-Paper-De-Curler

Jeff

Jeff

I'm getting 3 of these made. 2 for A2 size prints and one for 17" square prints. See below;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Does the binder include 'sleeves' for each print?  Made of what? Configured how?  (Portfolio cases, which hold loose prints,  are different than binders.)

The image, print characteristics and your tastes should dictate the paper.   The binder shouldn't intrude; rather it should complement your intent, print size, etc.  Cart before horse?

BTW, there are rolling devices to appropriately flatter roll paper....  https://www.itsupplies.com/D-Roller-Paper-De-Curler

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the link to the D-Roller.........I've just ordered one :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

235$ - a bargain

unbelivably they have free shipping to Malaysia as well. Hopefully it arrives before Christmas [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting 3 of these made. 2 for A2 size prints and one for 17" square prints. See below;

A key for me before buying any portfolio binder is the sleeves themselves.  Some transmit light and texture well, some not.  It's similar to deciding what type of glass to use to frame a print.....some may protect well, but destroy the look and feel of the print itself.  You'll have to see for yourself.  There are many ways to show a portfolio, including sleeveless options....and, these days, even electronically.  Lots of choices.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jeff my mate got some done professionally and they look fantastic (unbelievably expensive). He opted for the no sleeve design and thats the way I want to go. I just plan to have some silk tissue paper in-between each print.....I got a D-Roller and will do all the printing myself on roll paper rather than canvas and probably use Luster for the color prints and semi-matt for the B&W prints.

Once I get home I will play with the papers that I already have and see if I can come up with a happy medium for B&W and one for color

Neil

• Like 1

The D-Roller has a sheet of plastic which is rolled up with the print and the manufacturer boasts that this plastic has no curl memory so always unrolls flat. Why is this a good thing? Does simply rolling a print back not eliminate the curl?

Leica uses colorful marketing and charges crazy prices.  But we still buy the stuff....cause it works and presumably adds value equal to or greater than the price paid.

Lots of folks prefer less expensive solutions, and many prefer DIY, including building their own cameras.

Choices.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...