Would this be a good buy

You can find real mint M4-P's for much less, so this cannot be an investment. An M4-2 for that price is more common. I think the seller thinks so and tries to get his return on investment now. 

Edited by otto.f

If you want to use it you can't keep it mint so forget this dream.

You may get away with adding a bit more wear and tear to a genuine worn black paint M3, M2, or M4 body (beware of fakes), but with cameras that don't age gracefully you haven't got a chance. The finish if the M4-P goes from matt to polished with handling and then grey's as the black top surface of the plating wears through, so even if you have it in a never-ready-case the camera will still eventually show wear. Also beware the word 'mint', it is misused by all but a very few dealers and by most private sellers, it should mean utterly pristine and never used, anything else is just 'used' but in varying stages of niceness.

• Like 1

Aperture are a well respected dealer but they've not described this camera correctly - you can see it's not Mint from the photos. EXC++ or Mint- perhaps.

If you just want to invest some money put it into an ISA. If you want a Leica to use then buy a nice (not mint) body for a good price and it will indeed most likely increase in value over time, but more importantly you won't be worried to use it and damage it's value.

• Like 3

It seems a nice camera but very expensive for a camera you are going to use.  Don't regard a Leica camera as an investment unless you are a serious collector and know exactly what to look for.  And do not use it but store it carefully in that case. 

• Like 1

This does look very nice, but the issue I see is you either use it, and it WILL get damaged, or you store it and keep it in the Mint -  condition it states.

Me? I'd buy a user camera (M6 as well) if you are going to use it. As Jaap says, there is a distinct difference between using and collecting.

Gary

Using and collecting are, generally, two different games. The concepts of using and keeping mint can contradict one another. You can, of course, try to do both. It is your choice if you own the camera. See here for the record of the Everest Edition at auction based on factual outcomes.

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M4-P-Everest.html

William

Using and collecting are, generally, two different games. The concepts of using and keeping mint can contradict one another. You can, of course, try to do both. It is your choice if you own the camera. See here for the record of the Everest Edition at auction based on factual outcomes.

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M4-P-Everest.html

William

Cheers for that, interesting reading! Given the exchange rate it would seem as you guys have pointed out that the m4-p is already at the top of what it's likely to achieve price wise.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I think I'm just gonna pick up the m6 and use it and try not to worry about value.

Again if you're going to use the camera then I think you're best off buying a more regular example and putting the money into another lens/es.

The M6 you have linked looks very nice, but you're paying quite a premium for it because it's mint/boxed. If you are going to use the camera you'll be wiping some of that value away (even if you use it very carefully!).

Each to their own but I think you should consider what you need most in terms of features (the M4 and M6 are quite different) and buy a good chrome body because chrome seldom shows much wear, and one or two of the more desirable lenses which will likely all increase in value over the years.

• Like 2

Personally I wouldn't call the M4-P a mediocre camera. I think it's actually a fantastic USERs camera. That being said, I think this is priced pretty high for what it is. The Everest edition is merely a stamp, there is no functional difference. I had one in fact, but when I sold mine, I got $850 for it and I was happy with that price. 

I would just buy a regular M4-P if that's the camera you want though, you can find one in clean condition for a considerably lower price.