Nr. Of exposures?

HenrikP

Neither of the two ways of checking shutter count on the M9, i.e Service Mode, and M9info, would give you a true shutter count for M9s that have undergone new-type sensor replacement. 

My M9 had close to 80k shutter actuations before it was sent to Wetzlar for repair. It came back with the new-gen sensor and fm 1.204. I checked the shutter count in the service mode and realised that it had been reset. 

Now I'm on 11k +. Just checked shutter count with both service mode and M9info., and both are showing that same number, whereas in fact the shutter has been activated over 30k times (I bought the camera with a 40k + shutter count, used it till 60k before sending it back for fixing shutter problem. Worked it to 80k before sending it back again for circuit board problem)

Edited by Rus

Neither of the two ways of checking shutter count on the M9, i.e Service Mode, and M9info, would give you a true shutter count for M9s that have undergone new-type sensor replacement. 

The button dance as posted by The Locust (post #6 in the shutter actuations post in the third post in THIS thread) works for me.

Essentially;

Switch the camera on.

Hold the delete button as you press up/up/down/down/down/down/left/left/left/right/right. Release delete button and press Info.

If you get the screen which starts Firmware Info scroll down one to Body Debug Data, press the Set button and scroll down, the total shutter actuations reading is the 12th down the list; i.e. one below what can be seen on the opening page.

My camera had a sensor replacement in Dec 2015 but the shutter count wasn't reset.

Philip.

• Like 1

My camera had a sensor replacement in Dec 2015 but the shutter count wasn't reset.

Philip.

Interesting info, thx Philip. May I ask if the replaced sensor you had on your M9 was the new gen sensor (and by implication your camera is also running FW 1.204)? 

If so, then it is very interesting indeed that some M9s have their shutter count reset while others don't. I wonder why the difference...

Oh btw did you have the sensor replacement in Wetzlar or NJ? 

My M9 had close to 80k shutter actuations before it was sent to Wetzlar for repair. It came back with the new-gen sensor and fm 1.204. I checked the shutter count in the service mode and realised that it had been reset. 

Now I'm on 11k +. Just checked shutter count with both service mode and M9info., and both are showing that same number, whereas in fact the shutter has been activated over 30k times (I bought the camera with a 40k + shutter count, used it till 60k before sending it back for fixing shutter problem. Worked it to 80k before sending it back again for circuit board problem)

Why would it if the shutter hasn't been replaced? There is a difference between shutter count and sensor images captures.

Interesting info, thx Philip. May I ask if the replaced sensor you had on your M9 was the new gen sensor (and by implication your camera is also running FW 1.204)? 

If so, then it is very interesting indeed that some M9s have their shutter count reset while others don't. I wonder why the difference...

Oh btw did you have the sensor replacement in Wetzlar or NJ? 

Now I'm a bit confused myself...

The sensor was replaced on behalf of "Leica Camera Ltd, Mayfair, London" before I bought the camera.

The repair was carried out by the Customer Care dept. in Wetzlar. I've just checked the paperwork and there is no mention of which gen. sensor was used; all it says is "Exchange sensor. Adjust sensor (and so on for the full CLA)".

The weird thing is it is running FW 1.202. and not 1.204.

Hmmm.......

Now I'm a bit confused myself...

The sensor was replaced on behalf of "Leica Camera Ltd, Mayfair, London" before I bought the camera.

The repair was carried out by the Customer Care dept. in Wetzlar. I've just checked the paperwork and there is no mention of which gen. sensor was used; all it says is "Exchange sensor. Adjust sensor (and so on for the full CLA)".

The weird thing is it is running FW 1.202. and not 1.204.

Hmmm.......

I see. Thx for the details.

I think that most probably means that it wasn't replaced with the new-gen sensor, as that requires fw 1.204 to run. The sensor replacement done to your camera was replacing a (corroded or cracked) sensor with another one of the same type, possibly before replacement with new-gen sensor started. 

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

Why would it if the shutter hasn't been replaced? There is a difference between shutter count and sensor images captures.

I guess that's a good point, on the difference between shutter count and sensor captures.

I'm sure, though, that the shutter curtains on my M9 after sensor replacement was still the same one, as it has long had a small mark on it... Maybe what gets recorded and shown by both the service mode and the M9info is, strictly speaking, actually the number of sensor captures, although usually it should be just the same as the number of shutter actuations.:)

I guess that's a good point, on the difference between shutter count and sensor captures.

I'm sure, though, that the shutter curtains on my M9 after sensor replacement was still the same one, as it has long had a small mark on it... Maybe what gets recorded and shown by both the service mode and the M9info is, strictly speaking, actually the number of sensor captures, although usually it should be just the same as the number of shutter actuations. :)

I think the service mode would be more accurate that M-9 Info. Cleaning mode would be an example of a shutter actuation without image capture.

Edited by jdlaing

I think that most probably means that it wasn't replaced with the new-gen sensor, as that requires fw 1.204 to run. The sensor replacement done to your camera was replacing a (corroded or cracked) sensor with another one of the same type, possibly before replacement with new-gen sensor started. 

Thank you for the prompt, Rus.

Following on from your comments I checked with Leica and you are quite correct; the sensor replacement was at the tail-end of the 'original' sensor period. I have been reassured that the new 'old' sensor will still be honoured by the Leica agreement so I'm happy.

Philip.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...