The new 28 Summicron vs the old 28 Summicron

jonoslack

• 1 month later...

Hi there - this was posted and answered in the 35 summicron thread . . so I thought I'd repost it here

Supposed Shortcomings of the old 28 Summicron:

1. rather extreme curvature of field, especially at infinity, which makes it tough to get the corners and centre in focus at the same time

2. soft corners at wider apertures on digital cameras (not so sure about film)

3. crappy fall of and stamp on lens hood (which is also huge).

Supposed ameliorated aspects of the new 28 Summicron

1. Much less curvature of field

2. improved optical formula and thus MTF figures

3. Screw in lens hood which doesn't fall off and get stamped on

. . .  and if you want to see the effects of this you can look here at the blog post: 

http://www.l-camera-...summicron-asph/

I hope that helps

I think you left out another problem with the old Summicron 28mm asp that is not related to the optical performance but the the use of the lens. It is the hood. To me the hood of this lens is one of the worse designs to come out of Leica Camera AG. The hood on the new 28 is a great improvement. It is not plastic like the old hood and it is integral to the lens and follows the hood design on the newer 21mm and 35mm lens. Also the hoods cover is much more secure than the old cap that easily fell off and was lost.

In my short time with the new lens, the hood was a definite improvement except for one aspect: when removing the lens from the camera, if partly grasping it by the hood, which is a natural tendency, IMO, the hood will start to unscrew. I noticed the same when I demoed the new 35 Cron at a Leica store. It also happens with my 21 SEM, 21 Lux and 28 Lux. The inelegant solution is a piece of tape. Since it's happening to me with all these lenses, I must be at fault and imagine Leica envisioned the correct way to remove these lenses is by grasping nearer to the lens mount....