Why buy other than Leica lens for a Leica M system???!!

leicahg

My work would be just as good as Cartier Bresson's - if I could warp time. genetics and a personality transplant. Ain't gonna happen.

But this does suggest - what if Leica re-created a HBC memorial lens of the same design? Of course, Leica would have to brand it special, lest resourceful buyers find the same for sale almost everywhere for a pittance.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I can single out the following ZM as being optically superb: ZM 15/2.8,18/4, 21/2.8, 25/2.8, 35/1.4, 35/2, 35/2.8, 50/2, 85/4, 85/2.

Of the lenses mentioned I know only the 25mm. 

I agree that the results it produces are very nice, even a bit artistic.

But funny enough it is optically not a very strong lens - take a little time and search for tests. It is only strong in the center and quite week towards the edges/corners. Much weaker than expected.

But maybe this is exactly the reason why it produces these "charming" photos. This was also said about the old Leica 50mm (70s or 80s).

The modern Leica 24 or 28 lenses are typically optically clearly better (quality is more even across the whole picture area), but not as charming. (maybe simply too clean). Especially the latest constructions, e.g. the Elmar-M 3.8/24 . (If you do not believe it, test it, or at least read the MTF graphs).

This does not mean one or the other is better. It simply depends upon your style and personal preferences.

(I use actually neither one nor the other, but a pre-asph construction from the 90s and am very happy with the results). 

Edited by steppenw0lf

Of the lenses mentioned I know only the 25mm.

I agree that the results it produces are very nice, even a bit artistic.

But funny enough it is optically not a very strong lens - take a little time and search for tests. It is only strong in the center and quite week towards the edges/corners. Much weaker than expected.

But maybe this is exactly the reason why it produces these "charming" photos. This was also said about the old Leica 50mm (70s or 80s).

The modern Leica 24 or 28 lenses are typically optically clearly better (quality is more even across the whole picture area), but not as charming. (maybe simply too clean). Especially the latest constructions, e.g. the Elmar-M 3.8/24 . (If you do not believe it, test it, or at least read the MTF graphs).

This does not mean one or the other is better. It simply depends upon your style and personal preferences.

(I use actually neither one nor the other, but a pre-asph construction from the 90s and am very happy with the results).

I have been using the ZM 25 for many years. Like most older Zeiss lenses, it is optimized for infinity where it performs impeccably across the frame. Lacking aspherical and floating elements, it performs more artistically up close, as you put it so well. It is true that the newer Leica wides are better corrected for close ups.

Mind Bending" I'm trying to decide on a 28mm for my Safari -- Elmarit or?

Don't take this the wrong way, please.

You shoot too close for the 35 you have. Back up or don't crop so much. The decide if you finally want a 28.

• Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way, please.

You shoot too close for the 35 you have. Back up or don't crop so much. The decide if you finally want a 28.

Can you explain please?

Given the camera to subject is distance the same.....28 and 35 are different focal lengths with different points of view.

35 leans more toward "normal" .......28 is a wide angle........ Am I looking at this wrong?

I shoot with a 35 a lot and like this point of view ......but sometimes  I want a photo that has a wide angle feel

a bit off topic:

if I choose to carry one lens its either a 35 ...or maybe a 50 depending on my mood

my opinion for a  balanced 3 lens kit would be: 28  50 90

I am curious as to how others view lens choice?

As for using lenses other than Leica on the M ....I'd rather have the right focal length for the photo

than worry about splitting hairs on contrast, sharpness etc (within reason)........the Zeiss 28 is a fine choice.

In full disclosure I don't have a 28 for my Leica kit  currently

Edited by ECohen

Can you explain please?

Given the camera to subject is distance the same.....28 and 35 are different focal lengths with different points of view.

35 leans more toward "normal" .......28 is a wide angle........ Am I looking at this wrong?

I shoot with a 35 a lot and like this point of view ......but sometimes I want a photo that has a wide angle feel

a bit off topic:

if I choose to carry one lens its either a 35 ...or maybe a 50 depending on my mood

my opinion for a balanced 3 lens kit would be: 28 50 90

I am curious as to how others view lens choice?

As for using lenses other than Leica on the M ....I'd rather have the right focal length for the photo

than worry about splitting hairs on contrast, sharpness etc (within reason)........the Zeiss 28 is a fine choice.

In full disclosure I don't have a 28 for my Leica kit currently

The only way I can explain is to look at some of his pictures. He shoots, what I would consider, a little close and some of the subjects are cropped or the frame in total is too "cropped". This is entirely my opinion.

50 = normal

35 = wide normal

28 = wide

Edited by jdlaing

Look thru the photo section here on LUF. Try Technology and Industrial.

Well I understand your theory, we are going on a road trip and I wanted a wider angle for scenic views.. I'll save my $'s..

(I tend to Crop more when showing my images on the Forum)..

Edited by Manoleica

Well I understand your theory, we are going on a road trip and I wanted a wider angle for scenic views.. I'll save my $'s..

(I tend to Crop more when showing my images on the Forum)..

I understand fully. The 35 does an outstanding job on scenic views. Try it before you go to make sure it works for you.