Why buy other than Leica lens for a Leica M system???!!

leicahg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone please post a link to the entry form? Can I have more than one wish? What do you mean by "original"? Does it need to be Leica related? Does it need to be material wish? When will the winner be announced? Can I do anything to influence the decision? Do I ask too many questions?

pardon, too many (last one was to much) questions at one time. Seems You're not qualified to take part in the competition.

Next decade perhaps....

and to all others: Elmar 4/90 from CL-times is a real bargain and secret tip to all, who want a compact & high performing portrait lens!

Thomas

• Like 1

Well, to get down to specifics, the 35mm Zeiss f1.4 gives Leica's 35mm FLE a good run for its money and the 15mm Voigtlander has no Leica equivalent. Leica lenses have a price premium, but that does not mean that they are not the best for your camera, if £€$¥ is no object. 

• Like 1

ON THE SUBJECT OF A 90mm LENS.

I too was looking for a low cost lens and I can recommend the 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M.

Mine was made in 2000 and cost the same, used, mint and boxed as a new Zeiss 90mm f4.

It produces lovely sharp images, is small and not too heavy.

You may be able to get earlier models even cheaper, they started production 1990.

• Like 1

I have both the Tele-Tessar and the Elmarit-M; I find I prefer to take the Zeiss because it weighs less and the results are equally good. The Elmarit-M wins out only because it is one stop faster.

• Like 1

With all do respect to other brands........I thought the essence of enjoying a Leica M system is when you use Leica lenses AND NOT other brands....thinking that Leica M lenses are specifically calibrated to match the best result for the system, BUT my QUESTION is Can we get BETTER result and Image Quality with non Leica / other brand lenses?? Please share your best experience by indicating lens(es)

With the insane amount of miscalibrated lenses and cameras coming out of the factory it's fair to say that Leica lenses are not specifically calibrated, many times.

Chosing Leica lenses is the way to go just because it's the way it's meant to be. It's a system created by Leica.

This is why I love this form...thanks Peter for the smile.

Naah, we meet here to decide what new Leica gear to buy weeks/months (years?) after the latest new stuff we've got.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I regularly use Voigtlander lenses with great satisfaction and very good results. I think that any picture must be judged singularly, so I do not really mind if the lens I'm using is a Leica or other brands. I much more care about the focal length I need to take a given picture.

• Like 5

I need a 21mm about .5% of the time, bought a used Zeiss.  Similarly a 75mm, went with Voightlander.  Both are more than acceptable.  On the other hand my go to lens is a 1980's 50mm Summi ver 4.  It produces 'my look'.

There are people than insist on matching luggage for their Ferrari.  Brand loyalty is silly

• Like 2

Naah, we meet here to decide what new Leica gear to buy weeks/months (years?) after the latest new stuff we've got.

You've got that right! And we all share the photography obsession....I fight GAS a lot, I rationalize it because I have had the hobby 50 years.

I need a 21mm about .5% of the time, bought a used Zeiss.  Similarly a 75mm, went with Voightlander.  Both are more than acceptable.  On the other hand my go to lens is a 1980's 50mm Summi ver 4.  It produces 'my look'.

There are people than insist on matching luggage for their Ferrari.  Brand loyalty is silly

I am also amused that many of us are on the same page.....I too use a 21mm only a little bit ...... I went with the Voightlander 

I was hoping for someone ....or many of you to say "portrait lens...  get an XYZ  the characteristics are this or that .....so unique". Or try that because......

What I'm learning is there are many great 90's for the M...and all of the current lenses are great Leica, Zeiss and Voightlander

In my View Camera  days there  were so many different lenses that had all different characteristics  Commercial Ektars /Dagors/ Super Angulons/Fuji /Nikon....etc.
You would cherry pick the different brands and get a collection of great glass.
And although the 35mm Summicron is my primary go to lens ...I could live with  just that lens ( I think?)     It's my joy to have no limits and build a "kit" 

​One thing I like about Leica...that I've see so far... is the characteristic of warmth and a "striking" contrast.......which I really love ....... sorry I cant better describe "striking".

My CV21 is cooler compare to the new Leica lenses I own...Is Zeiss warm or cool?
I also miss the local camera shop theres no where near me to try equipment ...the downside of mail order. 

Another question regarding used ....How far back would you go 5 years 10 ...15?  Have Leicas coatings changed over the years?  Are all the Elmarits good?
And who are the reputable places for used in the US? I'm not an Ebay fan.Finding a properly calibrated rangefinder lens mail-order scares me.

Forgive my naive questions ...I'm new to used Leica
Edited by ECohen

I am also amused that many of us are on the same page.....I too use a 21mm only a little bit ...... I went with the Voightlander 

Not a reason in and of itself to go with one or another. Personally, I use my 21 less than the others but wanted all my lenses to be at the same performance level; if you hold just a few really great ones, the weaker player will show itself. Why I chose the 21 SEM. 

I was hoping for someone ....or many of you to say "portrait lens...  get an XYZ  the characteristics are this or that .....so unique". Or try that because......

What I'm learning is there are many great 90's for the M...and all of the current lenses are great Leica, Zeiss and Voightlander

Great to have options but 90 is a tough FL on an M (for me, at least). Erwin Puts speaks very highly of the Voigtländer 90 APO. One of the best buys around. KEH seems to have a used one in stock most of the time.

I also miss the local camera shop theres no where near me to try equipment ...the downside of mail order. 

B&H, Adorama and Photo Village are a quick subway ride away. Add them to your next NYC visit.

Another question regarding used ....How far back would you go 5 years 10 ...15?  

Each era has its stars. The 50 Rigid & 35 Summicron 8-element are both over 50 years old and still remarkable. 

Have Leicas coatings changed over the years?  

Yes.

Are all the Elmarits good?

Would you marry all the people you've ever dated?

And who are the reputable places for used in the US? I'm not an Ebay fan.

Popflash(CA) and Igor Camera (OH) are both very reputable; they grade honestly and price quite competitively. KEH (GA) is solid as well but a bigger operation. Adorama and B&H are likewise larger; prices tend to be higher but they stand by their grading and the items sold.

Finding a properly calibrated rangefinder lens mail-order scares me.

You can buy one new, out of the box and still have issues. The 50 Summilux I once bought new, front-focused.

Forgive my naive questions ...I'm new to used Leica

We all have to start somewhere.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

I bought into Leica to use Leica lenses, tried a few CV early on because I needed some screw mount 12,15, 25.   Optically not too bad on film, garbage on Leica M9. Mechanically they are bottom of the barrel.   Have not not anything but Leica since,

Been tempted with Zeiss,  but then I hear about the wobble, no good way to code, etc so I simply did not try.  Already have enough paper weights.  I even found a website on how to repair the loose inner screws of a 21 2.8  zeiss for Nikon.  That builds confidence.   Well they all come from the same factory.

My Nikon system is all Nikon except for some remounted R lenses.    

If Nikon had a complete rebirth of the RF system and I was not already into Leica,   I might have considered it.   So what did they offer, just a lens or two and you hunt for old collectables.  Not for me.

​Another question regarding used ....How far back would you go 5 years 10 ...15? 

It all depends on what you're looking for.  Having just added the 21 SEM, I have now have three modern lens, five vintage ones, the earliest is from 1956, the latest 2015.  By volume, my most used lens is from 1969. Some prefer the character of older glass, others can't stand the imperfections. Some folks want a consistent look across their glass, personally I want a more diverse palette. 

It all depends on what you're looking for.  Having just added the 21 SEM, I have now have three modern lens, five vintage ones, the earliest is from 1956, the latest 2015.  By volume, my most used lens is from 1969. Some prefer the character of older glass, others can't stand the imperfections. Some folks want a consistent look across their glass, personally I want a more diverse palette. 

I prefer a diverse palette as well...When I was a working photographer, I needed a consistent look in all focal lengths.....being a hobbits now allows me more flexibility

I know what many of the new Leica lenses characteristics look like ..... todays lenses are very sharp and the contrast accentuates  that sharpness.

What are some  the characteristics of some of Leicas great older lenses?....Is the color still on the warm side? Will they work well with the M240 since they were originally designed for film?

This conversation started because Im looking for a portrait lens and was looking for a 90 that was more forgiving... but not because its a soft crappy lens.

One with character.....character created by its design. Yes I know I can bring out that quality in Photoshop.....but I wanted a great lens to start with.

I like this forum ...ya 'll let me vent 

Im looking for a portrait lens and was looking for a 90 that was more forgiving... but not because its a soft crappy lens.

One with character.....character created by its design. Yes I know I can bring out that quality in Photoshop.....but I wanted a great lens to start with.

How about the Trioplan 100/2.8 http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/kickstarter_trioplan/

I prefer a diverse palette as well...When I was a working photographer, I needed a consistent look in all focal lengths.....being a hobbits now allows me more flexibility

I know what many of the new Leica lenses characteristics look like ..... todays lenses are very sharp and the contrast accentuates  that sharpness.

What are some  the characteristics of some of Leicas great older lenses?....Is the color still on the warm side? Will they work well with the M240 since they were originally designed for film?

You should check the two topics leading the M lens forum; namely, images with "old lenses on the Monochrom" and "a view through older glass" using color sensors. Broad collections of images taken with a great many older lenses, some dating from the 1930's. It will help you decide.

• Like 1

all the commonly cited reasons aside, an extra thing quite often make me choose (some of) the Leica lenses over others is the focusing tab... :p

Edited by Rus