She's Back

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This racoon has been visiting our back garden for the last three years, scooping up bird seed that falls from the feeder. A couple of days ago I had the kitchen window open and when I opened a can of cat food she caught the scent and came to investigate. I got the distinct feeling she would have much preferred the cat food to the bird seed.

VL114

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

So did she get some cat food? Perhaps as a reward for looking so darned cute and hopeful and being such a poser.

You are going to say no aren't you because if fed she would turn into a nuisance and a beggar.......ok!

Feeding raccoons is not a good idea.   They are not domesticated animals and can be quite destructive.   We had raccoons destroy an outside shed where trash was stored before pickup.   The wood was eaten or clawed  through, the doors forced opened and, needless to say, the trash strewn everywhere.  They are smart and aggressive.  We had three of them trapped and relocated before they could do more damage and the trapper had to use a secret formula to entice them.   He would not reveal it other than to say it involved marshmallows.  Raccoons also carry rabies and even though the look cute, are not something children should go near.

But nice photo, nevertheless.

Feeding raccoons is not a good idea.   They are not domesticated animals and can be quite destructive.   We had raccoons destroy an outside shed where trash was stored before pickup.   The wood was eaten or clawed  through, the doors forced opened and, needless to say, the trash strewn everywhere.  They are smart and aggressive.  We had three of them trapped and relocated before they could do more damage and the trapper had to use a secret formula to entice them.   He would not reveal it other than to say it involved marshmallows.  Raccoons also carry rabies and even though the look cute, are not something children should go near.

But nice photo, nevertheless.

Wow, raccoon 101...and no cat food for her!....we do not have raccoons in Australia, nor do we have rabies, which was one of the reasons for all the fuss over the dog smuggling episode

involving the Depp family's seemingly innocent little dogs, somewhat amusingly styled "the war on terriers". 

Edited by platypus

The forum keeps cutting my post in half. Grrrrrt

Albert, no need to Grrrrr...as I'm sure you know posts may be edited immediately after posting by clicking on the edit button which appears in pale grey lettering bottom right of the post box.

As far as I have been able to ascertain this option is valid for around an hour after posting something. But, as I said, I'm sure you already know this........ :)

Raccoons are a fact of life in my community. They inhabit the city sewer system and come out, usually at night, to search for food. In my many years living here, they've kept entirely to themselves and never made any attempt to access our garbage containers or any other places on our property that would cause problems. That's probably because there are so many easy food sources like the area beneath bird feeders.

That said, I know they can be rabies carriers and would never try to "tame" them by giving them food. My preference is for them to retain a healthy fear of humans. Still, I'm happy to see them roaming around in the gardens because, as Dee pointed out, they're so darned cute.

• Like 1

There needs to be a balance and that's not easy to strike in places where wild animals have been forced to adapt to living on the margins of human habitation, although over many generations some species have become very good at it.

We have a drastic situation affecting Koala bears in many parts of Australia due to the rapacious clearing of their bush habitat for housing development as our cities expand. Unfortunately they haven't got a hope of adapting, as your raccoons have done,

so we are going to be responsible for wiping out whole colonies. 

Edited by platypus

Racoons are adorable, intelligent and shockingly dexterous (they can pick simple locks with ease).  However, they quickly lose all their natural charm when they nest in your attic.  Or, as one did at my father's house, fall down the inside of your chimney and rummage around the inside of your family room (at 3 am) while trying to figure out how to escape.  That one did about $5000 damage.  Still, they are fun to watch and to photograph.

Nice shot.

Mark

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

A happy raccoon story.

Many years ago we had a raccoon family come & live in our house for years. We lived in an old early 19th Century farm house that my grandparents bought at the end of the Depression. Just before World War II.

The raccoons found a very small opening in the outside wall & came inside into the space between the ceiling of the ground floor & the floor of the next floor up. They arrived 1 autumn & stayed until the following Spring. Sometimes on their way across the porch roof to their aforementioned entrance they would stop at our bedroom window & watch us for a while. They came & went as they pleased all Winter & well into the Spring. They left in the Spring & were gone until the Fall when they returned for another stay. They did this for many years & there was never any problem. The raccons were our fellow house mates keeping warm as the Weather got colder. Just like us.

When the raccoons moved into this space in between the 2 floors they chose to live under our son's bed in his room. I think that the reason they did this was that his room was the warmest room in the house because it was the room over the furnace which was 2 floors below him.

I think the raccoon family liked to live under his bed because his bed was a mattress on the floor surrounded by pillows & blankets on the floor. The blankets & pillows surrounding his bed were for his friends who liked to come to visit & also frequently liked to stay the night. His room was always ready for his friends to be there. Raccoons & all.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1