Is the M9 sensor problem not on the M-E?

HenrikP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

As I know, the Leica M-E is a M9 in other cloth! So I guess that it has the same sensor problem as the M9, but a german dealer told me, that it was a sole M9 problem! Is that right?

Regards Henrik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Excellent news :)

The corrosion issue affects M-E cameras as well. I have a friend who has his M-E in for sensor replacement as we speak. The cracking sensor issue is different and those were mostly confined to early production M9 bodies. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes - I am not surprised to read that an M-E sensor can be corroded. My M9-P, manufactured in 2012 - four years after production started of the M9 - had to be returned to Germany for a replacement sensor in March 2015. That sensor was a first generation one, same as in the camera. That sensor itself had to be replaced in Febraury 2016, now with a second generation one. It seems likely that whatever the design / manufacturing defect that cursed some of the first generation sensors it was present throughout its production lifetime.

I would not be worried about the sensor in your M-E, however, since Leica has promised a free upgrade to a second generation sensor if corrosion develops. It could be argued that finding corrosion sooner rather than later means a timely upgrade to a worry free (?) sensor!

My M-E developed the corrosion issue after only 18 months of ownership.  

It absolutly can develop the corrosion issue.  I think that in the long term all m9 (m9, m9p, me, mm1) series sensors will develop the issue and need replacement. 

• 2 months later...