Leica Q & Capture One

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

My yearly subscription to Lightroom is ending and I want to switch to Capture One. I'm also anticipating a Leica Q purchase for this summer.

However I cannot find if C1 supports the crop modes of the Leica Q, i.e if the DNGs get automatically cropped to the selected modes, like Lightroom. Does anybody use C1 ? How does it work ?

In addition how do you find C1 color rendition of this specific camera ? You can post some examples.

Thanks!

Romain

Hi chron, 

The DNG's in Capture One 9 have exactly the same crop as applied in camera.

Color rendition of generated JPG's is excellent in C1, and initial DNG conversion far better than LR, which for me always seems to bring everything into a flat color rendition.

However, that being said, I have fallen in love recently with Irident Developer only for DNG conversion- it might be the best of all depedning on your taste, but it has no archival or extended possibilites like LR or C1

C1 as a total package is really excellent and a perfect alternative for the subcription/cloud based LR which I refuse to use anymore on principle.

Edited by sumolux

Hi all,

My yearly subscription to Lightroom is ending and I want to switch to Capture One. I'm also anticipating a Leica Q purchase for this summer.

However I cannot find if C1 supports the crop modes of the Leica Q, i.e if the DNGs get automatically cropped to the selected modes, like Lightroom. Does anybody use C1 ? How does it work ?

In addition how do you find C1 color rendition of this specific camera ? You can post some examples.

Thanks!

Romain

A standalone perpetual licence for LR will be supplied with your new Leica Q. It's free.  

The cropped image in the viewfinder is recorded as a JPEG according to which focal length you choose. (28, 35, 50), but the associated DNG remains uncropped.  If you then need the DNG to correctly represent your JPEG, then you need to crop it in your editor.

There is possibly a firmware upgrade yet to be issued and it might include changes to how DNG and JPG files are displayed and saved.  

Hope that helps.

Hi,

i just downloaded a photo taken in 35mm mode.

Loading it in Lightroom shows the correct cropped photo (with the possibility to uncrop it) but capture one shows the 28mm version.

am I doing something wrong?

cheers

No, only Lightroom crop to 35mm. Capture one doesn't.

Then I don't quite know exactly how you are doing it?

I am using Capture One 9 (version: 9.1.2.16) and the DNG imports exactly as shot.....

I double checked this a few days ago when the OP posted.

Edited by sumolux

Hmm...I checked again- and I am indeed wrong about this.

In the preview pane before importing, it shows the cropped DNG, and I assumed this cropped image would be imported the same way.

Yet it doesn't, as you said. Here is how it looked with a badly exposed shot of a window within a circa 35mm crop; after importing it gives just the 28mm view. Thanks for the correction to my muddle !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yep the import window is showing the embedded preview inside the dng which is correctly rendered.

I made a feature request via p1 support and they responded very quickly. In fact this crop mode is a standard feature of the DNG specification and is supported by Lightroom or iridient developer.

If you are interested, you can also send a message to the support. It would support our case ;) and p1 really takes its customers seriously.

Cheers

R

• 2 weeks later...

I came back to using LR shortly after acquiring my Q (primarily for its DAM capabilities) & everything went smoothly until I added a second external drive for photos only & moved my LR photos (but not Catalog) over to the external drive.  It now is giving me fits so I am starting to think about Capture One based on the good things I hear about it from folks in my camera club whose opinions I value.  So I will be interested to hear more about how it works out for you (OP) with the Q, & any pertinent experiences in moving to using it.  I read something online about lack of support by C1 for DNG file format but don't know really what that was all about.  Good luck with it.

@beez

I'd prefer it to do the crop automatically, as LR does, because if not, it renders the crop modes useless for DNGs. You have to remember for each photo what was the initial intended framing (or look at the associated jpeg). It is just a waste of time. I agree it is just convenience.

@Peter

Capture One is actually lacking a lot in terms of DNG support: it does not respect the intended rendering pipeline, the embedded color profile, the develop adjustments (of the DNG specs, not talking about LR adjustments), the lens corrections AND the crops! However they are using their own pipeline, color and lens profiles and I also appreciate the rendition more than the other RAW developers (I have been test driving both regularly for the past 5 years).

@Jed

Basically, be very careful if you converted your RAWs to DNGs without embedding the original RAW files. Other than that, it works like a charm, renders beautifully, and the latest version put it very close of LR in terms of DAM. This program also evolve quickly and the support listen to their customers. Just know that for the Leica Q, auto-cropping to the selected mode is not supported yet!

I came back to using LR shortly after acquiring my Q (primarily for its DAM capabilities) & everything went smoothly until I added a second external drive for photos only & moved my LR photos (but not Catalog) over to the external drive.  It now is giving me fits so I am starting to think about Capture One based on the good things I hear about it from folks in my camera club whose opinions I value.  So I will be interested to hear more about how it works out for you (OP) with the Q, & any pertinent experiences in moving to using it.  I read something online about lack of support by C1 for DNG file format but don't know really what that was all about.  Good luck with it.

LR doesn't care where you store your files so long as you tell it where they are. So using an external drive is possible so long as it is online. Make a habit of synchronising relevant folders.

A standalone perpetual licence for LR will be supplied with your new Leica Q. It's free.  

The cropped image in the viewfinder is recorded as a JPEG according to which focal length you choose. (28, 35, 50), but the associated DNG remains uncropped.  If you then need the DNG to correctly represent your JPEG, then you need to crop it in your editor.

There is possibly a firmware upgrade yet to be issued and it might include changes to how DNG and JPG files are displayed and saved.  

Hope that helps.

Evidently, this is no longer the case:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/261523-adobe-lightroom/

So, suddenly there is a lot more to recommend Capture One.

• Like 1