Shutter stuck half opened after sensor cleaning

Giulio Zanni

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I opened the shutter of my 246 to clean the sensor and when I swicthed off the camera the shutter got stuck half opened. After triggering multiple shots it eventaully resumed it normal functioning. I then re-opened the shutter to finish with the sensor cleaning and when I switched off the camera it got stuck again half opened. Again after triggering multiple shots it resumed it normal functioning. It seems that the camera fires normally and that the problem appears only in sensor cleaning mode. Shall I send it in for service?

Also, about sensor cleaning, I have used for many years and with many cameras the visible dust sensor swab wet solution for oil with success. I consumed a full pack of swabs to clean the sensor of my 246 but it is still dirty.

Giulio

Edited by giulioz

Guilo that is certainly not normal behaviour for your shutter of course. I am only guessing based on what you described. Is it possible that some foreign object or residue has remained from the sensor glass cleaning?
Whatever the cause of this problem, I suggest that you should have the camera serviced as the shutter could possibly be further damaged if you keep operating it now.

If it is only doing it in sensor cleaning mode and the exposures are otherwise accurate it doesn't sound to me like a fundamental shutter problem but a software glitch. But do make sure you try it at all speeds including B and in Live View mode. After fully convincing myself it really was only in cleaning mode I'd carry on using the camera and think about a service if it is coming towards the end of the warranty period.

As for the cleaning problem I use two types of fluid, the first pass I use one for oil and then finish off the cleaning with a regular Eclipse fluid, usually two swabs is enough and I only do this for new cameras or if it has been used in the rain or humid conditions when you can get sticky dust landing on the sensor. At other times for regular maintenance I use an EyeLead sticky wand.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

You say that you had great trouble cleaning the sensor. Did any cleaning fluid get into the electronics behind the sensor? That might cause weird and unexplainable errors.

• 1 month later...