APO-Vario-Elmarit 24-90 frozen

hydet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Uh oh.  My beloved APO-Vario-Elmarit 24-90 lens has frozen at 85mm.  It did this a few days ago, but loosened up when I took it off the camera.  There were no signs of scratches or disturbance on the barrel.  This time it won't budge.  I have had the lens since since November and have logged tens of thousands of shots in all sorts of wet and trashy conditions, but it has never been dropped or banged (unlike some of my other Leica lenses), so this is a little odd.  Still, it has been a wonderful lens, behaved flawlessly, solid as a rock, and I would go out and buy another tomorrow if it were not repairable.  Luckily, my work is mostly at night so I rely on the M lenses more than the slower zoom.  Off it goes to Leica.  

tim

• Like 1

Oh, my.  No, I missed that whole "discussion."  I may give the front a little jiggle, but the lens is going back to Leica either way as I don't want a repeat while on a shoot.  NB:  I have NO complaints about Leica's quality control and agree that any piece of equipment--especially when they are used daily over a period of time--can fail.  Thank you, dgktkr.  

tim

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, ROCKMT said:

Thank you - my 24-90SL lens froze at 85. I jiggled the front element and works just fine. i will not bother to send it in unless

it happens again frequently 

It happenes more and more one it starts,  I didn't want to be months without the lens by sending it to Germany .

What I did is take apart the lens and discovered that there are 2 screws that get loose. this screws hold the internal lens assembly in place. 

any case when I reassemble the lens was as good as new.

I am not suggesting you should do it yourself. probably voids warranty

here are some step by step:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/02/a-peak-inside-the-leica-vario-elmarit-sl-24-90mm-f2-8-4-asph/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!