Juvenile Barn Swallow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Barn Swallows have nested in my barn for years. They make mud nests that are interesting to view. One observation I have made is the opening to the nest is sized for the number of chicks they have. This nest had only one surviving chick so the opening is sized accordingly. You can see how the nest has been modified. Isn't nature grand !

VL 114

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Very interesting Bill, our Aussie swallows don't do this trick with their nests but (having Googled the question) I think they are not exactly the same bird as yours.

Ours are called Welcome swallows and we do have a cast of thousands.....they are not really all that welcome as they nest in the garage and plaster the car with their little calling cards, but I could never knock down their nests as some people do.

BTW that's a really nice photo too!

Glad you enjoyed the photo Dee.

I have two types of swallows in my area. Barn swallows and tree swallows.

Yes, they do make a mess of things but they help keep the insect population in check.

As for nest modifications to accommodate the number of chicks, you might find this image interesting. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That is utterly adorable! We have Barn swallows in this country too apparently, but not in southern NSW.

The Welcome swallows were so named because people approaching the Australian coast in the early days

of sailing ships would see the little birds cavorting above the waves before ever they sighted land and

would know that landfall could not be very far away.

• Like 1