The use of Q vs. m.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question for all you Q owners, who also has a M.

When are you using what, or do you always have both in the bag?

The reason for the question is that I'm considering buying a M, but am a little afraid that one will suddenly ends up as the step child.

Regards Henrik

Who think of a M-E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know how you shoot, but I think this is the first thing to answer regarding M vs. Q.

Personally, long ago I made a kind of 'separation' of fun, family, touristy photography and my more 'serious' attempts.

For instance, yesterday I walked the dog at the beach, and just for fun took the Q along, and got some fun, quick shots to share with family and friends. One lens (of course), no bag, no decisions about focal lengths, etc. and in this case I just keep the JPG's and they go into iPhoto, get shared, fini. I had no urge to carry along a few lenses in a bag.

For photographic travel, seeing architecture, landscapes, gardens and all the rest of such, a M with 21mm and 24mm is my choice to street shooting with 35mm and 40mm, followed by Capture One DNG conversion, etc. etc.

In terms of quality, with a sensor the same as the SL, the Q cannot be beat, it is becoming my favorite 'go to' camera, and it does everything I want.

Of course, the Q can make perfect 'serious' shots; the discussion between M vs. Q for me anyway centers only on whether the 28mm fixed lens of the Q will work in a situation, with or without cropping 35mm/50mm.

You just need them both; you will never regret having a Q   :p

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 3

Having shot with M cameras for twenty something years, just acquired a Q few months ago.  Am in a slightly different boat as my current M is the monochrome 246.  But when I want color, the Q is becoming my go to camera and also when not going out strictly for the purpose of taking photos.  My use of the Q is still evolving.  It is almost too easy to shoot with.  I find myself using it like I would a cheap point and shoot and not taking time to frame and compose, which it deserves,  my problem not the camera.  I just need to slow myself down and relax with it.  In contrast, the M keeps me very busy when I take it out.  The M for me is more enjoyable as a photographer for the shooting experience.  But I do love the outcome of the Q and how it works and feels.  

So, I guess my answer is you might find the M is more your go to camera when just going to take photos.  It is totally engulfing of my concentration, which I enjoy.  As an artist, it is like going into the "zone".  If were me, get a MM if you like monochrome for something different.  And, I always go out with only one camera and one lens now.  Carrying multiple lenses or cameras, not for me.  Each of my M lenses behaves very differently so it's too much to switch gears when concentrating on shots.  I choose either my Summicron 35 or 50, or the Noctilux 1.0 before I head out.  No reason to lug multiple cameras and lenses around.  Finally learned that lesson.

Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 6

After having the Q since the launch in June last year I just sold my M-P and all lenses (Only had two) last week. The kit was just gathering dust on the shelf, so I decided to sell. And  I haven´t looked back since. Only time will tell if it was a good or bad idea :D

• Like 2

I use both Q and M.   Most of the time both are with me and available for use.  I keep a 75mm lens on the M.   Which camera to use then becomes a question of which focal length I desire.   I tend to shoot the Q as if it were an M using aperture priority and manual focus.  I use the Q more often than the M because most of the time I prefer the 28mm field of view.

If I'm only going to take one camera with me the Q will be my choice.  Sometimes I want auto focus or macro mode or even full auto with face detect for those times I let someone else snap a picture.

I also have a DSLR -- it mostly stays home.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 3

A macular degeneration related eyesight problem caused me to decide to trade in my M240, plus Leica 35mm & 90mm lenses, & get the Q. I was troubled initially that the 28mm fixed focal length & other differences between these cameras would result in my taking fewer photos than before.  However just the opposite has occurred, & I am also using the Q even more than I did the M.  I can use the AF function when shooting casually, but still have the ability to use manual focus with the magnification & focus peaking aids for more serious work.  And the smaller form factor & lighter weight, but still in a style & function of the M, is not only very pleasing, but also makes for an easy to carry around all day system.  I could not be happier & find that I am missing my M less & less, while enjoying photography more & more.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You won't have to buy a 28 for your M!  That's a good start, right there.  Consider what an f2 M lens costs.

The autofocus is the main reason I got the Q, to go along with my Ms.  Other things about it are good too, but the autofocus was the key, for me, especially for low light situations.   The Q is also good in other situations, and can be used with zone focusing much like an M, it's a great camera overall.  But to me it compliments an M because of the auto features.  

The M would give you the ability to use other focal length lenses--I use a 35mm a lot, but others are useful too of course.  I mostly use an M Monochrom which is something else as well from the Q.

I have Q and used much more than M. M i am using mainly for 50 mm lens (sometimes 75 for portraits). But overall if/when Leica introduce a Q with 50 mm lens I will trade M for it. If you are not familiar with RF focusing than M is not an option...

• Like 2

The Q gives me much better separation between film and digital. :D  

I appreciate my M7 and film a lot more and I still have the Q for when I want digital, AF etc etc......

I think slowing it down when I go back to the M7 makes me shoot fim better than I ever have. When I want to speed up I have the Q.

I like having a clear distinction between the two and sometimes a hard choice to make.  :unsure:

• Like 3

Ill semi-quote myself from another thread :)

I own both the Q and M240.

The Q:

This is the camera i would slap a SF40 flash on and shoot a birthday party with, the AF is supernice for fast paced situations, the M can sometimes be cumbersome in those.

It's also the camera i tend to use for low-light shooting, It is about two stops better in terms of ISO noise than the M240 because of the more modern sensor and processor.

Even though i tend to travel with both cameras, the Q is a very very capable travel companion, It's light weight, inconspicuous (with a black dot) and silent, the macro mode is also handy. In other words it's very multidisciplinary. 

I tend to choose between the Q and M depending on mood mostly, the Q if i need AF, Low-Light or macro, the M if i want that process + different focal lengths. The IQ in normal light is equal in my eyes.

Also worth to mention it's a 28 Summilux with an attached camera thats perfectly calibrated for less money than a 28 Summilux-M  ;)

The M:

First of all. you HAVE to test a M over a couple of days before committing to buy. The rangefinder manual focus experience is unique, and perhaps it's not for you at all. I personally love it to bits. I had a M a week over easter from a dealer with a test-drive campaign before i jumped in and got one. 

I shoot my M when i want to shoot a rangefinder basically, and when i need the versatility of multiple focal lengths.

I Also often use the M with a 50 Lux in tandem with the Q, 28mm+50mm is nice. When i run the M solo, i usually have the 35 Lux on it. 

the M-E is quite ancient and with very poor ISO capabilities in comparison with the Q (or other modern cameras) Its awesome up to about ISO 800 though :)

You buy an M for the way it works, the rangefinder, and you have to love that way, If not, get something else. The M will just be an expensive experiment of grief. hehe.

I think they compliment each other well, they have quite different strengths :)

• Like 3

Guest jvansmit

After having the Q since the launch in June last year I just sold my M-P and all lenses (Only had two) last week. The kit was just gathering dust on the shelf, so I decided to sell. And  I haven´t looked back since. Only time will tell if it was a good or bad idea :D

ditto :)

I've had my Q since launch, and increasingly found that I was leaving my monochrom at home most of the time. I sold all my remaining M equipment a few weeks ago, and haven't had any regrets since. 

(I did buy a back-up second-hand RX1Rii while my Q was being fixed earlier this year. That was a major (and expensive!) mistake. While it has outstanding IQ, the RX1Rii operability is incredibly frustrating after using Leicas for many years.)

• Like 1

I am back again to the conundrum of which Leica to buy.

About 12 months ago,  tried the M240 for 2 days with the 35mm f2.0 lens. This was my first Rangefinder experience and I felt I got the grip of it and really, really enjoyed using it. 

I attach a few photographs i took that day. They are not great but I was happy as these were my first few Rangefinder photos. 

However, I did not purchase it for one and only one reason: The weight. My wrists were aching at the end of 2 day trial and not just because I used it too much. It was a very very heavy camera for street photography. I shoot mainly street and family / holiday photographs. I ended up purchasing a used Vario X and its weight was so much better.  The low light performance is not so good due to the slower lens. 

I also tried the Leica Q for about 20 minutes in and outside the Leica Mayfair store and found it to be super quick to focus. It was very light. The photos looked very good but did not wow me. Maybe the 28mm field of view did not suit me, not sure.

Anyway, I have been reading the reviews of the M 262 and understand it is lighter than the 240. I am getting used ones for around £3400, which is the price of the Q. On top of this, I will need to buy M lens. 

Could those who have both, or have used both these cameras ( Q and 262/240) help me understand better if Leica Q will suffice my need of a lighter camera with good low light photography, whilst providing me with almost equally good results as the M262 (with a similar lens, for more cost), given that I will be the photographer for either. 

Edited by srivastava

I am back again to the conundrum of which Leica to buy.

About 12 months ago,  tried the M240 for 2 days with the 35mm f2.0 lens. This was my first Rangefinder experience and I felt I got the grip of it and really, really enjoyed using it. 

I attach a few photographs i took that day. They are not great but I was happy as these were my first few Rangefinder photos. 

However, I did not purchase it for one and only one reason: The weight. My wrists were aching at the end of 2 day trial and not just because I used it too much. It was a very very heavy camera for street photography. I shoot mainly street and family / holiday photographs. I ended up purchasing a used Vario X and its weight was so much better.  The low light performance is not so good due to the slower lens. 

I also tried the Leica Q for about 20 minutes in and outside the Leica Mayfair store and found it to be super quick to focus. It was very light. The photos looked very good but did not wow me. Maybe the 28mm field of view did not suit me, not sure.

Anyway, I have been reading the reviews of the M 262 and understand it is lighter than the 240. I am getting used ones for around £3400, which is the price of the Q. On top of this, I will need to buy M lens. 

Could those who have both, or have used both these cameras ( Q and 262/240) help me understand better if Leica Q will suffice my need of a lighter camera with good low light photography, whilst providing me with almost equally good results as the M262 (with a similar lens, for more cost), given that I will be the photographer for either. 

The 262 is only marginally lighter than the 240, so if the 240 was too heavy for you it wouldn't be much better for you and the 262 comes with limitations.  My question is which M lens did you use? If they stuck a Summilux 50 on it, that is far far heavier than a Summicron 50, for example.  If I go out for a long day of shooting, prefer one of my Summicrons.  And I am only good for couple hours with a Noctilux.  That can make a significant difference in comfort.  Either way, the M is a heavy camera as are most professional camera systems.  The Q is a breath of fresh air in the weight department.  I don't think you could go wrong with a Q.  A joy to shoot with, and great results.  The only downside is being stuck with one lens if it is your primary camera.  

Edited by billinghambaglady

• 4 years later...
On 5/28/2016 at 6:37 PM, matlep said:

What did time tell? 

Three years ago, as an 80 year-old "early adopter" I purchased a Q. Fell in love with it! My M-10, the newest in a long line of M's, T's, D's, and V's (and some screw mounts) began to spend more time in the bag, and that disturbed me. A trip to Indonesia (pandemic cancelled) made me re-evaluate the M-10 as back-up. Declining eyesight and arthritis led me to a lighter, auto-focus solution of Q2 plus CL (w/18-56). They have been a perfect pair for me with nearly identical controls and superb quality, and a bit of zoom when I need it.

It was hard to part with my M-10, but I needed to match my changing skills and capabilities with the Leica cameras available and the continued marketability of "pre-owned" Leica cameras enabled me to do that, as it has for years of "upgrades".

• Like 2