Does the M D have a meter built into the viewfinder?

The M-D has a built-in meter, if that's what you mean.

Beyond that, the M-D has 2 metering modes, aperture priority or manual. In terms of LED symbology, what you see superimposed on the (optical, of course) VF depends on which of those 2 modes you have selected. You can download the M-D user manual via the Leica website for further clarification.

Edited by jcraf

The M-D has a built-in meter, if that's what you mean.

Beyond that, the M-D has 2 metering modes, aperture priority or manual. In terms of LED symbology, what you see superimposed on the (optical, of course) VF depends on which of those 2 modes you have selected. You can download the M-D user manual via the Leica website for further clarification.

Ah, Thanks! I'm very interested in the MD but the price is just too much at this point. Love the idea of no LCD even though it's getting hammered by others.

Is the meter the same as the film bodies and other digital bodies? A simple |> o <| LED system?

It seems strange to invite a community of Leica rangefinder users to call me old-fashioned.. but I prefer analogue match-needle metering. With match-needle, you get an indication of whether you're in the right ballpark and moving in the right direction; with LED, you could be under/over by 1 stop or 10 stops and you wouldn't know...

It seems strange to invite a community of Leica rangefinder users to call me old-fashioned.. but I prefer analogue match-needle metering. With match-needle, you get an indication of whether you're in the right ballpark and moving in the right direction; with LED, you could be under/over by 1 stop or 10 stops and you wouldn't know...

That depends on the match needle system. Some cameras show you the same range with a match needle as the three-diode display shows: -1 or more under, the range from -1 to +1, +1 or more over. Two nice things about the LED system is that it has no mechanical moving parts that can get sticky and it is easy to see regardless of the ambient lighting. 

Nothing wrong with preferring one over the other, but in the end you get what the manufacturer thought was best anyway. 

(I've only seen this on a couple of cameras, but to me it's a piece of genius and I don't know why every camera doesn't have it: presuming you are using manual exposure mode on a camera with an electronically regulated shutter, press a button and the metering circuit is enabled, and the appropriate metered shutter speed is auto-selected for the aperture that you've set, the display shows the 0 or null point. Now you can manually just tweak the exposure up or down from there with either aperture or shutter control. I can't remember which camera worked this way, perhaps the Pentax K10D or Ricoh GXR-M, but it worked beautifully.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is the meter the same as the film bodies and other digital bodies? A simple |> o <| LED system?

Yes, in manual exposure mode; it's the same three-LED system as the M6TTL and later had.

In auto exposure mode, the LED shows the shutter speed in the steady state, the +/-EC setting while you're setting it, and a little dot illuminates when you have EC enabled in the steady state afterwards. It's the same as for the other digital Ms; maybe the M7? (I've never used an M7.)

Love the idea of no LCD even though it's getting hammered by others.

You can put a wide piece of black tape on your screen and buttons and try how it feels. I did, it was quite interesting. I will never buy the MD :)