I Miss My M9, but not sure what to do

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings and thanks to this forum for assisting me as I initially began my Leica journey years ago.

I've owned the M7 & M9, two fine cameras.  Each was paired with the 50mm Summicron.  I was perfectly happy and anticipated adding a 28mm to my bag.  

What changed was my grandson's birth.  I found that I was losing shots that I would have liked to capture - my grandson was often in poor light, and moving rapidly.  I admit to being a novice with the Leica and not having lots of experience with manual focusing, but even when I setup for maximum depth of field I still failed to get the shots I wanted.  In frustration I returned to more familiar grounds - a Nikon F6 and 28/50 primes.  

My successful shot ratio improved, but I failed to realize how much more difficult it had become to get film developed professionally. I also realized that I'd become accustomed to "chimping" and my finished photos looked different from what I thought I had captured.  I realized that I was used to framing with the Rangefinder system, not the more "what you see is what you get" view of the SLR.  

That, and a paucity of high quality "slide" film, led me back to digital with the addition of a Nikon D5500, 35mm f/1.8 prime and a 55-200 zoom (yes, not a typo).  I find that this setup surprisingly gets most of the shots I planned to take, but what's missing is the fun of "taking pictures".  The camera feel can't begin to compare to the Leica and the overall "joy of ownership" feel is missing.  With the Leica I'd just shoot to enjoy myself - with the Nikon I shoot to capture a family event/moment.  Clearly that's the point, but something feels like it's missing.  I should add that I've also used a Hasselblad 501CM for years, and sold that about the same time I bought the Leica gear.  I find I miss both the Hasselblad and the Leica, realize that the Nikon suits my needs, but fails to inspire.

That's lead me to consider the new Q (I feel 28mm may be too limiting for me), M262,  a used M240 or waiting for whatever Leica may offer later this year.  My question, finally, is:  "What Leica setup would you suggest for "joy of photography" moments?"   My target images include landscape and nature shots, less people moments, and few fast moving targets.  Think visiting churches in Europe where flash and noise are not appreciated, or images of the beautiful areas of Tuscany or seashores, and occasional candid shots where I'm capturing emotion or interesting perspectives.  BTW, I'm far less skilled that most of the people on this forum -- my interest is as a hobby, trying to enjoy the "ZEN" of photography. 

I've read all the review sites, most forums, and remain more confused than ever with the conflicting information I've read.

Your thoughts are most welcome.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by lencap
  • Like 1

Just get a used 240, it is a bit more versatile than the M9 and more mature. I would advise to get away from trying to avoid to focus  by stopping down and practise a lot. Once you have mastered the technique ( and there are dozens of threads here to help you) you'll find it is a pleasure to use a rangefinder for the type of work you describe.

@:lencap, welcome to the forum. I understand your situation which has similarities to my own. I used to use a Nikon MF film camera. MF always seemed so natural. Film, and all its chemicals, became anathema so I wanted digital. After trying several AF cameras they really lacked the thrill of choosing one's focus point and creating a photograph rather than a snapshot. I bought an M240. What a joy to use!

6 reasons to buy anything: Security, Performance, Appearance, Convenience, Economy, and Durability. (SPACED) (Sales people take note!)

S - Leica is a secure company. The cameras are safe and the M240 can be used in wet weather.

P - IMO, it would be hard to get a better image with a 35mm format camera?

A - Looks good. Personally I prefer the M-P 240 which is why I changed from the M to the M-P after a year. Personal choice. Some love the red dot. I love anonymity.

C - Much more intuitive menu arrangements than Japanese cameras. One switch for on and away you go.

E - Expensive original outlay but excellent resale value. As jaapv says, get a used one. I recommend keeping an eye on the ones available via this forum's market place (which for some reason is on the English menu in German so it's not hard to spot).

D - Durability is better than just about any product I can think of. How many other camera makers have such a history?

Hope this helps, and good luck.

My question, finally, is:  "What Leica setup would you suggest for "joy of photography" moments?"   My target images include landscape and nature shots, less people moments, and few fast moving targets...... -- my interest is as a hobby, trying to enjoy the "ZEN" of photography. 

I'm not sure that equipment which would invoke "joy of photography moments" is necessarily the same as that which can cope with your "grandson in poor light and moving rapidly". To be honest I find Leica Rangefinders are what I like using most, but I'd use a very different, autofocus camera for personal shots of a youngster in the conditions that you describe. I'd suggest buying whichever rangefinder/lens combination that you can afford for the 'zen factor', plus either a point and shoot (could be a Leica) or a cheapish dSLR and zoom for the family album shots. Many will tell you that a rangefinder can do both, which is probably true enough if you practice sufficiently and have loads of time, but if you simply want viable shots of your grandson then there are cheap and effective solutions which will work fine. There is no ultimate camera which will do everything - the trick is to realise this and accept it and use the tools appropriate for the job on hand.

Your thoughts are most welcome.  Thank you in advance.

If I were you, I'd buy the M262 (or used M240) and a 35mm Summicron.  And practice a lot.  Simple as that.

Edited by zlatkob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the comments.  Just to be clear, I intend to keep my Nikon D5500 for those times when I absolutely must have the ability to capture my rapidly moving grandson in critical situations.  Despite that, I'd still like to have an "art" camera for times when I can just shoot and enjoy.

So far, it seems as if the suggestions cluster around M240/262 with a 35/50, and either a Summicron or Summilux.  Personally I preferred the Summicron for the smaller size and better ability to see my subject without having part of the lens block my view.  I will admit though that I don't have a lot of experience with the 35mm lens.  I always found the 28/50 gave me more flexibility.  Perhaps it's because I don't really shoot "street photography", and rarely have a photo setting where I can't move back a bit with the 50.  For tight rooms/settings I found the 28 gave me more "room" to compose without worry about fitting everything in.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

I can second that the d-lux is fantastic camera, not just for family snapshots... and it complements the M well.

I use a combination of M(240) and D-lux (109). The D-lux/Lx100 works great.The IQ is very good, obviously the M is better.  I use the D-lux when portability is at stake, and when I know I need it for  zoom and unpredictable, fast moving objects that are better with AF. It is also very good in very low light.  Otherwise, I use an M (240). The Summicron 35 mm Asph is a great lens, and focus is not an issue. I pair it with a 75 Summicron, but focusing 75 requires more practice than 35. A 50 is probably a sweet compromise, and you know the lens. 

I would advise this combo over a Leica Q. You can probably get a LX100/d-lux, plus used M(240) +35/50 for a very decent price now.

PS. Just saw your post, if you are keeping your camera, then M(240)-35 is my recommendation. There is a Safari on the ebay link below this forum for 7200+ (not mine).  That is what I started with, never looked back.

Edited by Adam

The Summicron 35 is by far my preferred lens for its rendering, however I cannot offhand think of any 35 mm lens by any maker that will disappoint. Have a look at the Elmarit M 28/2.8 asph though. A very nice small lens, combine with a 50 of your choice and you will be in your favorite range.

Lencap I find your comments amusing being somewhat akin to my own thoughts but from a slightly different perspective. I have been a Nikon DSLR owner for many years now and still own and use all four cameras ranging from a D70 through to a D750 full frame, but I finally realised a lifetime's ambition (yes some 50+ years of wanting) and bought my M240 last year. I simply love taking pictures with my Leica primarily for its relative simplicity, compactness, rangefinder and quality. My budget didn't stretch to Leica lenses at the time and I also yearned for a more 'traditional' look, so I ended up with a CV 1.4/35 and a Sonnar 1.5/50 ZM both of which are serving me well as I hope will my Elmarit 2.8/90 that is winging its way to me as I write. The Leica setup does however have its limitations which is why I keep my Nikons that serve me better at air shows, wild life shoots and the like.

Maybe, as my rangefinder technique improves I will embrace the other genre, but at the moment it is horses for courses and I couldn't be happier. The Leica is however the first I consider for any shoot before reality kicks in.

Put the $5K in your grandson's college fund and don't look back.  Spending the time with family and having a photographic tool that is invisible to capturing the moment sounds perfect to me.

You're planning to keep your Nikon for children pics, you prefer 28mm and 50mm primes and you miss your Leica Ms if i understand well. Why not buying a digital M with a 50mm and a 28mm lens then? You could choose a Summicron 50, that you already like, an Elmarit 28/2.8 asph which is one of the very best and smallest 28's available, and an M9, M240 or M262 body depending upon your budget. Nothing original i guess but that's what i would do, save that my two-lens kit would be 35+75 instead of 28+50 personally. YMMV.

The Nikon is entirely capable of getting you decent travel/scenic shots.  I have 2 M240s and a dozen or more M lenses but when I go to visit my grandkids I take only a late-model Canon Rebel with 18-55 and 55-250 zooms and a 50/1.8 and use it for everything.

So inasmuch as you're planning on keeping it anyway, I would wait a few months.  If Leica comes out with a new M model, in the beginning it will most likely have all the features of an M240 (LCD, LV, EVF, Video etc), and yet you will see a boatload of M262 and M-D's along with MP-240's and M240's being dumped on the used market.  There will be fine pickings.