Autofocus Adapter Canon EF to Leica SL by Novoflex

LUF Admin

Do you think we will see adapters for other systems such as Nikon in the future?

The more I think of this, the better news this Canon adapter is. I will still be using M and SL lenses, but for the lenses which I will use rarely it is nice not having to dig extemely deeply into the pocket.

It has been pointed out that the filter is expensive, but Novoflex has probably had large outlays in Development cost they need to recover. The market will accept this price I think,

• Like 1

Does one get into the Leica system because of the sensor/camera or Leica lenses or both? I decided to move to Leica SL from Canon as I found Leica IQ extremely appealing, primarily due to their lenses and the colour rendition. I had tried M lenses with Fuji X mount and found that the colour rendition on Fuji was much better with Leica lens than with Fuji lens. I assumed that 3rd party lenses on a Leica camera body would not produce the best results. 

Now I will have to see pics taken with EF (L) lenses and Leica SL before I put my Canon lenses for sale.

True. And dont forget Novoflex is half the price of Leica for the same manufacturing quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How very true. Leica and Novoflex go back a long time. Some years (or decades ago) I was an active bird photographer and we all used the 5.6/400mm Novoflex follow focus lens. At one point of time you could also have the Telyt 6.8/400 (and the 560) with the Novoflex grip. Out of reach financially then, but still.

Edited by Ivar B

Does one get into the Leica system because of the sensor/camera or Leica lenses or both? I decided to move to Leica SL from Canon as I found Leica IQ extremely appealing, primarily due to their lenses and the colour rendition. I had tried M lenses with Fuji X mount and found that the colour rendition on Fuji was much better with Leica lens than with Fuji lens. I assumed that 3rd party lenses on a Leica camera body would not produce the best results. 

Now I will have to see pics taken with EF (L) lenses and Leica SL before I put my Canon lenses for sale.

I moved to the SL, because it was the best camera to resurrect my sleeping collection of R and M lenses.

There are many users with one or two Leica lenses (a minority of their lenses). Now they might feel that it is not such a commitment to buy a Leica SL.

But the entry price is still a high hurdle.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Great news.

This is just what I have been waiting for.

Can't wait to try 100-400mm, 1.4 ext, 70-200 2.8 and 85 1.2 on the SL.

I have been thinking about the 90-280mm lens but don't have the funds for that at the moment.

This adaptor will do in the mean time!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I moved to the SL, because it was the best camera to resurrect my sleeping collection of R and M lenses.

There are many users with one or two Leica lenses (a minority of their lenses). Now they might feel that it is not such a commitment to buy a Leica SL.

But the entry price is still a high hurdle.

The EOS-1 DX MKII is $6000.  The EOS-1 DC is $8,000.  I don't shoot sports, so I don't feel the need-for-speed of the MKII.  To me, the price of entry isn't all that high if you can use both the M, R and SL lenses on the same body, and shoot great video as well.

Great news.

This is just what I have been waiting for.

Can't wait to try 100-400mm, 1.4 ext, 70-200 2.8 and 85 1.2 on the SL.

I have been thinking about the 90-280mm lens but don't have the funds for that at the moment.

This adaptor will do in the mean time!

Yes, I would also like to use the 100-400, the last AF lens I bought. On the 5DS it's very fast and the IS very reliable.

But somehow I feel uneasy - what if the AF is dead slow ?

Using the SL 90-280 on the T was rather a disappointment, the AF slowed down to a listless crawl.

I'm more careful now and leave it to others to make the first experience...

By the way, imagine Leica had made an announcement together with Novoflex for this adapter, when the SL had been announced. Or a short time afterwards. I'm sure many comments about a pro camera with a single lens would have been completely different. With a better timing Leica could have spared themselves a lot of glee.

Edited by steppenw0lf

I use the SL because of both. And I would prefer to use Leica lenses if possible. But at the moment this gives me access to lenses I need on the camera body I prefer, that Leica are years from making. If and when Leica actually make those lenses then I will most likely replace the ones I have with the Leica versions. However I expect that Leica will not be rushing to make the 17 and 24mm TSE lenses or a high magnification macro lens. There's no announcement of a fast 85mm or an 11-24mm. Now I may be able to use either the 85L or Sigma 85mm Art, until Leica make one. I use Sony bodies because they work so well with my Canon tilt shift lenses. This will increase the usefulness of my SL and mean I need to carry the Sony less often. Now I just want a 40MP version of the SL and I can divest all my Sony gear completely.

The other thing is that Leica really wants to attract Canon users to the system. This adaptor allows that, with photographers being able to move across slowly and utilise their current lens investment. The new 1Dx2 is about $1.5K cheaper than the SL. That now makes the SL a viable choice for *some* Canon shooters looking for a high quality mirrorless body that takes EF lenses.

Most EF lenses aren't optimised for CDAF focusing so I don't expect focus to be like Canon's own, however this will get the SL noticed by a lot more photographers.

Gordon

I don't even mind if the auto focus isn't that good.  As long as I can reliably use manual focus and adjust aperture that's all I really need for my purposes.  Being able to use the 135 F2L, 300 F2.8L, and the 1.4x TC III on the SL would be a godsend.  

One "hub" camera to use with SL, T, S, M, R and EF lenses.  That's so appealing.

By the way, imagine Leica had made an announcement together with Novoflex for this adapter, when the SL had been announced. Or a short time afterwards. I'm sure many comments about a pro camera with a single lens would have been completely different. With a better timing Leica could have spared themselves a lot of glee.

True but perhaps they also wanted to avoid releasing the camera at the same time as the Sony A9...  Who knows what their motivations were?  With also their own S and R-adapters not released yet the question is inevitable though...

With this good news and the current arability of a third party AF (motorized) adapter for M lenses on Sony E mount means the days for us to see a leica or 3rd party developed AF (motorized) adapter for M & R lenses is getting closer!

Here a picture of the adapter:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

....But somehow I feel uneasy - what if the AF is dead slow ?

Using the SL 90-280 on the T was rather a disappointment, the AF slowed down to a listless crawl.

I'm more careful now and leave it to others to make the first experience...

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Strange - I assumed Leica T and Leica SL mounts are similar and AF on native lenses should be good on both?? Maybe something to do with APS-C and FF sensors?

..... I expect that Leica will not be rushing to make the 17 and 24mm TSE lenses or a high magnification macro lens

......Most EF lenses aren't optimised for CDAF focusing so I don't expect focus to be like Canon's own, however this will get the SL noticed by a lot more photographers.

Gordon

True,TS and high magnification macro lens users will benefit. 

1DX-2 for sports photography may be a better camera? 

CDAF - my experience has been that focus is sharper with LV. Not sure whether its related to mirror up in LV or whether CDAF is better than PDAF (via OVF). In fact, I found myself using a hood and LV to get sharper pictures with Canon - which tipped the scale in favour of SL.

I don't even mind if the auto focus isn't that good.  As long as I can reliably use manual focus and adjust aperture that's all I really need for my purposes.  Being able to use the 135 F2L, 300 F2.8L, and the 1.4x TC III on the SL would be a godsend.  

Just curious to know which subjects would you be shooting with 135f2 1.4x TC with MF on SL. I have the same gear, and looking for reasons to keep them.