Autofocus Adapter Canon EF to Leica SL by Novoflex

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is really interesting. I did not find any information on the web of Novoflex as of now, but I believe it was said that 30 lenses or so would be compatible.

Has anyone seen this list?

Probably almost everything is in, but I would primarily be interested in one of Canons tele lenses or tele-zooms. I believe they are very good optically and one could perhaps save some money compared to the 90-280 or other SL lenses to come.

Canon lenses are indeed very good and not quite as expensive as Leica, but the Leica offerings are even better.

Novoflex cannot have made this without the connivance of Leica. They are hitting back for all those R lenses on 5D-s :D

I wonder whether this will pull a few 1D users in.

i hope Leica is watching this . If Novoflex can do something like the "Techart for leica M auto adaptor to Sony A7II's"  to SL , we - the M and R lens users could benefit from of having auto focus as well. Some of us are getting old with poor eyesight  :rolleyes: ..

Please don't leave  us high and dry , and be envious of Canon lens users :rolleyes:  

Before anyone of us has used the adapter, we have to be careful not to expect too much.

It is the first generation of a product. Maybe not everything will be perfect from the beginning. It is not clear how well the AF will work. Other suppliers had problems and needed several generations to get decent speed. (Sony adapters are at generation 4).

Regarding the Otus lenses: They can be ordered with Nikon mount. Then they have an aperture ring. (called ZF.2)

This is maybe still the better option as they are not AF anyway.

• Like 2

i hope Leica is watching this . If Novoflex can do something like the "Techart for leica M auto adaptor to Sony A7II's"  to SL , we - the M and R lens users could benefit from of having auto focus as well. Some of us are getting old with poor eyesight  :rolleyes: ..

Please don't leave  us high and dry , and be envious of Canon lens users :rolleyes:  

Such an adapter would be nice, but for the high-end lenses not really desireable. The most-expensive lenses have floating elements to get better corrections e.g. in the close focusing range. The adapter mentioned is just shifting the lens, that means the floating elements are not properly used. So you would buy an expensively-corrected lens, just to override this correction.

For older or less complex lenses this is of course good enough, but not for the best quality lenses. Also for macro it is not really usable (the moving range is simply too short).

I have also a lot of R lenses and had a close look at this adapter, but found it not really helpful, unfortunately. E.g. it made no sense for the R 1.4/35 with floating elements. And it was unusable with the Apo Macro 100, that also has floating elements. Also not usable with most long tele lenses.

So I think a non-AF lens will always be so, but the SL offers 3x/10x  finder enlargement and focus-peaking to get over that small problem.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Such an adapter would be nice, but for the high-end lenses not really desireable. The most-expensive lenses have floating elements to get better corrections e.g. in the close focusing range. The adapter mentioned is just shifting the lens, that means the floating elements are not properly used. So you would buy an expensively-corrected lens, just to override this correction.

For older or less complex lenses this is of course good enough, but not for the best quality lenses. Also for macro it is not really usable (the moving range is simply too short).

I have also a lot of R lenses and had a close look at this adapter, but found it not really helpful, unfortunately. E.g. it made no sense for the R 1.4/35 with floating elements. And it was unusable with the Apo Macro 100, that also has floating elements. Also not usable with most long tele lenses.

So I think a non-AF lens will always be so, but the SL offers 3x/10x  finder enlargement and focus-peaking to get over that small problem.

For teles or lenses with floating elements you need to previously focus roughly with the lens ring and let the adapter do the final focus adjust. Not so fast as native AF, but with a bit of practice is easy to estimate the distance, or use magnified view.

For teles or lenses with floating elements you need to previously focus roughly with the lens ring and let the adapter do the final focus adjust. Not so fast as native AF, but with a bit of practice is easy to estimate the distance, or use magnified view.

Yes, I know. Still it is not good enough. So I rather use the SL with 3x/10x finder increment and focus-peaking.    ;)

Edited by steppenw0lf

Given that the connections between the adapter and SL are electronic, I'm surprised there's no IS.  Canon stabilization is in the lens, so one would think it's just another electronic connection to contend with. I'd hope another 3rd party developer will release an adapter with IS.  That said, this product release confirms for me that I'll be purchasing an SL. Love my M and lenses, and my Canon bodies are getting tired.  I'm very proficient at rangefinder focusing, but am not married to it. Being able to use M and Canon lenses with a common body makes the financial pain of transition much less of an issue. The real jewel of this transition are the M lenses and the quality they afford.  The Canon lenses (zooms), are a short term bridge solution.

Like Ivar, I would like to see the list of lenses supported for AF and for auto Aperture (maybe the two lists are the same, maybe not). I have a couple of lenses I like on the Canon.

I would be equally interested in an AF and auto aperture for Nikon lenses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can now pick up bird photography using Canon lenses that Leica is lacking behind in this aspects of FL range :)

Yes, however, I have found that bird photography works best with manual focus, and then you have the magnificent range of Leica Apo lenses, up to 800 mm (and 1600 with the APO extender 2x) It must be a dream to use them on the SL, I wish I could afford an APO Modul System...:(

• Like 1

This adapter was certainly made with the full agreement from Leica.

Remember what Stephan Schulz, Head of Leica Product Management Professional Camera Systems was saying in LFI (November 2015) (and I quote) :

... We expect that adaptors for other systems will appear on the market soon. A number of mechanical adaptors is already available and we are convinced that there will also be electronic solutions for the autofocus available in due course. ...

• Like 2

Yes, however, I have found that bird photography works best with manual focus, and then you have the magnificent range of Leica Apo lenses, up to 800 mm (and 1600 with the APO extender 2x) It must be a dream to use them on the SL, I wish I could afford an APO Modul System... :(

In my experience sensor stabilization will make magnified focus with long (i.e., birding) lenses much more usable.

This adapter was certainly made with the full agreement from Leica.

Remember what Stephan Schulz, Head of Leica Product Management Professional Camera Systems was saying in LFI (November 2015) (and I quote) :

... We expect that adaptors for other systems will appear on the market soon. A number of mechanical adaptors is already available and we are convinced that there will also be electronic solutions for the autofocus available in due course. ...

Make no mistake, Leica is very serious about the SL system.  I expect a great future for this camera.

In my experience sensor stabilization will make magnified focus with long (i.e., birding) lenses much more usable.

Make no mistake, Leica is very serious about the SL system.  I expect a great future for this camera.

Stabilistion, yes, I agree fully. However, I'm not sure that it is supported by this adapter.

Maybe price does not matter for most of you, but I find 500 euro for a simple adapter quite a big sum. (about 600-700 dollars)

An adapter for the price of a camera. (Or is it cheap compared to the Leica M to T adapter ?)

And maybe later you need to buy a second version that also supports IS ?

I feel a bit "ripped", what do you think about it ? 

Edited by steppenw0lf

Maybe price does not matter for most of you, but I find 500 euro for a simple adapter quite a big sum. (about 600-700 dollars)

And maybe later you need to buy a second version that also supports IS ?

I feel a bit "ripped", what do you think about it ? 

Is the adapter "simple", though?

For me, I will probably stick with the simple adaptors (but I have none for EOS, only for FD, Nikon F, C/Y and Olympus OM) as my EOS lenses are effective on my digital canon and this solves the multiple focal length primes on different bodies dilemna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the adapter "simple", though?

No moving mechanical parts or no motor. I see red dots in front of my eyes if I imagine the price for a Leica R to SL adapter with a motor to move the aperture ....        :p

Edited by steppenw0lf