Autofocus Adapter Canon EF to Leica SL by Novoflex

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I personally have little need for 300mm or longer but I would agree with your assessment.

If the S may be any indication the longest lens is 180mm and this is after 3 bodies and almost 8 years of availability...

Even assuming (and hoping) that the SL finds wider acceptance than the S I would be surprised if we see a 300mm lens during the first 5 years...

The S is more of a scalpel to the swiss army knife of the SL. I have both an S and a pentax 645Z. The longest lens I have bought for the Pentax is 200mm because that's where a MF camera mostly fits in. I could buy a 600mm for it but I don't for the same reason I'd buy something other than the SL for sports.

I expect Leica are looking to the SL to be their biggest system camera. Significantly bigger than the S.

I think the reason we won't get a 300mm 2.8 is simply that we already have a 280mm f4. It'll keep the majority quite happy and there's simply more demand for 50's, 35's wide zooms' macros etc. Leica will want to make the system attract the masses first and then flesh it out with specialty lenses. I'm quite sure that Leica would be looking at Canikony and seeing what they're selling most of to help them gauge what's next on the road map. I would also think that the Novoflex adaptor(s) (the Nikon one is coming at PK) are a lesson learned from Sony and the original A7. I wonder whether Sony would have had the traction had the Metabones adaptor, which Sony gave away for free with each body in Oz, not been available.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

The S is more of a scalpel to the swiss army knife of the SL. I have both an S and a pentax 645Z. The longest lens I have bought for the Pentax is 200mm because that's where a MF camera mostly fits in. I could buy a 600mm for it but I don't for the same reason I'd buy something other than the SL for sports.

I expect Leica are looking to the SL to be their biggest system camera. Significantly bigger than the S.

I think the reason we won't get a 300mm 2.8 is simply that we already have a 280mm f4. It'll keep the majority quite happy and there's simply more demand for 50's, 35's wide zooms' macros etc. Leica will want to make the system attract the masses first and then flesh it out with specialty lenses. I'm quite sure that Leica would be looking at Canikony and seeing what they're selling most of to help them gauge what's next on the road map. I would also think that the Novoflex adaptor(s) (the Nikon one is coming at PK) are a lesson learned from Sony and the original A7. I wonder whether Sony would have had the traction had the Metabones adaptor, which Sony gave away for free with each body in Oz, not been available.

Gordon

... and I do not expect or want a Leica 300/2.8 lens ... I do have the EV 280/4 ... what I want is a Leica SL 600/4 but that will never happen anyway so I'm resorted back to my 1D4+300+2x working solution and may buy a Canon 600/4 if I still need such reach.

... and I do not expect or want a Leica 300/2.8 lens ... I do have the EV 280/4 ... what I want is a Leica SL 600/4 but that will never happen anyway so I'm resorted back to my 1D4+300+2x working solution and may buy a Canon 600/4 if I still need such reach.

Or an 80D plus 1,4x plus 300mm? Or an 80D plus a 400mm 2.8?

Not necessarily *better* but a bit smaller and lighter.

Gordon

Can we expect an update to the adapter anytime soon? Perhaps to improve AF speed on some lenses and (fingers crossed) IS support?

Who knows? Updates will come via firmware updates to the camera. Anything is possible. Metabones adaptors got better with updates. Maybe the Novoflex one works the same way. Especially with lens compatibility.

Gordon