D-Lux Typ 109 Dust Issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello forum friends,

I bought my wife the typ 109 to replace our d-lux 6, which we had for a few years. Within 2 weeks of ownership there is a large dust spot on the sensor that ruins many images (I am talking large). There is no editing that can resolve many of our family shots. For us, the point of this camera is a family do it all camera that my wife or any family member, waitress, or rando can use to take pictures of us.  I own a Monochrom, M7, and M-P240 and a plethora of M lenses so I am no stranger to dust and am not a dustaphobe.

My question though is if this is an inherent issue with this camera? We have had many point and shoots without these issues so I am wondering if we just got un-lucky.

I searched the forums but didn't find much. Thanks!

BTW, I sent it to Allendale for cleaning. I will update to let you all know how long it takes.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my posts recently have centered around service but oh well...Left two voice messages with the service manager and sent two emails trying to track down any information as to the lead time for my camera repair. I cannot even get verification that they received my camera because I can't get a hold of anyone. 

They did turn around my Monochrom in 2 weeks recently, which was awesome, so I will be patient for a little!

I purchased a 109 a few weeks ago and noticed a large dust spot in the viewfinder and the same spot in the LCD, which means it was likely on the sensor. I immediately returned it to the dealer (Adorama) who sent a replacement overnight at no charge. The new one is dust free, even after some use in a dusty environment. I'm hoping it stays that way. Keep us posted on your repair experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to the Manager of Leica NJ on Friday of last week and on Monday. He assured me that my camera would have the sensor cleaned and shipped over night for delivery today. I took him at his word as he is the manager but guess what, no camera today. This is week 5, which I think is crazy. This is a brand new camera that was only used 2-3 times around the house. 

Extremely frustrating. They have horrible customer service. I may just sell my M-P, Monochrom, D-lux, and lenses and start using a different brand that gives a crap about customer service. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I talked to the Manager of Leica NJ on Friday of last week and on Monday. He assured me that my camera would have the sensor cleaned and shipped over night for delivery today. I took him at his word as he is the manager but guess what, no camera today. This is week 5, which I think is crazy. This is a brand new camera that was only used 2-3 times around the house. 

Extremely frustrating. They have horrible customer service. I may just sell my M-P, Monochrom, D-lux, and lenses and start using a different brand that gives a crap about customer service. 

dkmoore, 

Sorry all for the bump in this 2 month old thread / dkmoore - what is the most recent on this issue you had / I am a bit disheartened to hear about this service level issue as I just purchased my 109 / and a big reason is just an entry point into the Leica ecosystem / brand really - as we all know the 109's internals are Pano / but I did not want to step up to the X-Series which is about twice as much.... and the D-Lux (Typ 109) does give me what I wanted as a carry all / street camera - as I am also a concert shooter with Nikon as well as a Canon shooter but just love the whole back story with Leica ... but spending about 300 more - over and above the cost of the Pano model / part of that would be a vision of superior service even if it is not a "M" model it still carries the Leica brand in which your story is concerning / spending over a grand on a camera seems to warrant the upper class support and service (much the same my BMW when it is taken in for service / I receive the VIP experience VS my Toyota Truck is on the lower end as to be expected.   

Cheers, 

Dave

Hello,

I had a little rant earlier in this post but I have to say that Leica stepped up twice recently and made right on their shortcomings. The positive is that I haven't ever had to return a lens or camera after service was completed.

Also, they will turn around repairs and service quickly if you stay on them.

This isn't the type of VIP experience you are referencing and that I would expect from a luxury brand. The saving grace is that the products are very good and shouldn't need much service.

Hope this helps! I really enjoy the D-lux and its easy of use when I don't feel like carrying around my M cameras. Great IQ in a small package.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I had a little rant earlier in this post but I have to say that Leica stepped up twice recently and made right on their shortcomings. The positive is that I haven't ever had to return a lens or camera after service was completed.

Also, they will turn around repairs and service quickly if you stay on them.

This isn't the type of VIP experience you are referencing and that I would expect from a luxury brand. The saving grace is that the products are very good and shouldn't need much service.

Hope this helps! I really enjoy the D-lux and its easy of use when I don't feel like carrying around my M cameras. Great IQ in a small package.

Thanks DKMoore, 

Good info / I have received my Typ 109 and I am quite happy - nice street camera as you mentioned when you do not want to or need to carry around our larger cams. I think I have noticed when extended out fully 70mm or so / sharpness tends to fall off a bit / but understanding too this is a 4/3rds sensor and I was not expecting to give my what my full frame cams give me / also intent too / as with most images if just a little off in sharpness / normally can pull it back in in Post using LR - But love the classic vintage style / look and feel - but to be honest / today will be my first day to really look at the images.... Also I have yet to research where a Leica Service Center is here on the west coast / who know's my experience may be different if I ever need them / but will be looking to bring it in for general check up / cleaning every year or two.

Take care!

Dave 

Unfortunately Leica NJ is the only Leica branded repair center in the US. There are plenty of technicians all around the US that can work on Leica film cameras and some that can work on most if not all of the lenses. 

If something does go wrong with the D-Lux you will need to send to Allendale, NJ.

Dustin

• 1 month later...

I would like to add my story to this saga.

I purchased a new Leica 109 back in June - during the short time since purchase I found it to be an excellent camera - with one exception. Within a month or so the camera began having "dust issues" that required sending it back to Leica USA for warranty work. Leica USA confirmed receiving the camera on August 30.

Since receiving that confirmation, I have received zero further communication from Leica USA. I have made repeated polite calls, and sent repeated polite e-mail inquiries, to no avail. Bill Weier never picks up his phone, nor does he respond to my inquiries made by phone or by e-mail. Roxana Lynch never answers her phone and her voice mail inbox is always full, meaning I cannot leave a message. The receptionist at Customer Care never answers the phone and voice inquiries left with her have not elicited a response. I did reach Carmen Vargas -- who was listed as a person to call for repair service when I registered my camera -- and she immediately said I had reached the wrong department and passed my call off to Roxana Lynch (see above).

By any standard this is abysmal customer service and unworthy of a company like Leica. 

UPDATE: Interestingly, the day after I made the post above, I received a telephone call from Customer Care, telling me that my repaired camera would be shipped out to me later that same day. My camera arrived today and, insofar as I can tell, the warranty issue has been resolved.

While I appreciate having my camera back and I try to resist being cynical, I find the timing proximity between my post here and the call I received from Customer Care to be less than coincidental.

I have found that Leica USA has good people and those people do good work -- I appreciate what they have done for me on those few occasions when I've needed their support. However, I really wonder why Leica USA cannot do a better job keeping its [generally] loyal customers better informed about the status of the expensive equipment we entrust to their care.

During the 44 days that lapsed between Leica USA's confirmation of receipt and the call telling me it was on the way back I had no other communication whatsoever from Leica USA, nor was I able to speak directly with anyone at Leica USA during that time. Not knowing anything is much worse than receiving bad news. That does not seem an appropriate way to maintain, much less build, customer loyalty.

Still, I've very happy to have my camera back - thank you Leica USA.

Edited by RPS