Novoflex LET/NIK or LEM/NIK + M-Adapter-T?

profus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I miss ZF.2 135/f2 lens really much and I truly regret selling mine. It was hard to focus wide open on Nikon(s), but when you nailed it - it really shined!

The best portrait lens I've ever tried, that's for sure.

I expect it would be much easier to focus on SL - hence I want to buy it again.

And here comes the question:

Would it be better to use LET/NIK adapter ( Novoflex ) or their Nikon to M adapter stacked with M-T adapter? Or there's no significant difference?

This lens is a bit huge and heavy, might be better to only use singe adapter ( thinking here about mechanical force on the mount )?

BTW - anyone who tried ZF.2 lenses on SL with those adapters? Do they behave like M lenses with M-Adapter-T? Any features missing?

Thank you very much!

Appreciate any help & advice

Alex

Hi Alex,

I use the adapter combination with the Nikon 2/135mm DC  and have no problems. A different lens, but the same range.

So I think both ways is possible. And I prefer the combination because I can (always) leave the M to T on the camera.

So it does not matter and you can choose the one that pleases you most. A single adapter looks maybe cleaner and more "professional".

Stephan

By the way ZF.2 work painlessly on the SL. Exactly like R or Nikon lenses with focus ring. They are about the same weight as corresponding R lenses, so again no problem. For example I use the R 2.8/100, R 180, R 2.8/280 or the R 350 on the SL. The adapters easily hold the weight. They actually hold at the maximum the weight of the camera, as the big lenses have usually tripod mounts. Other forum users do so as well and they will readily agree that it is no problem.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Interesting. I just checked eBay and the adapter you refer to must be this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Nikon-lenses-to-Lecia-T-SL-TL-camera-LET-NIK-/201516610323?hash=item2eeb537313:g:VF4AAOSwGotWsX1j

It would be nice to know how well the focusing works if anyone tries it out.

I have this LET/NIK Novoflex adapter for my SL.  Like all Novoflex stuff, it ain't cheap but is very well-engineered.

Seems to work just fine with my Nikkors; I'm especially fond of using it with my 58mm Noct-Nikkor f1.2, which of course is pretty critical of accurate focus wide open, like my Noctilux f1. The SL is helpful in that respect!

SL601, 58mm Noct-Nikkor @ f1.2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

And another example, again with the SL601, Novoflex LET/NIK, and Noct-Nikkor, f5.6, ISO 6400:

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For M- and most R-lenses on the SL, the Leica adapters works well. There is, however, some corner vignetting with the 280mm APO f4 when using stacked adapters on SL. As pointed out and demonstrated by wildlightphoto (and others) in other SL-threads, the problem is caused by the restrictive opening of the M-adapter. 

A nice aspect with the Novoflex adapter (besides precise machining) is that the adapter is simply an open tube. Eventual corner issues occurring with stacked (Leica) adapters are therefore reduced/absent when using a Novoflex adapter. 

For this reason I may use a Novoflex adaptor with 280 APO f4 on SL. The same is the case with Canon 500mm FD f4 on SL.

A demonstration of close to vanishing edge effects with the latter is shown below (FF, ISO1600, virtually no PP and yes, the singing black bird is show for illustrative purposes, not as an example of a brilliant capture  ;) ). Controlled captures to isolate eventual corner effects with 280 APO f4 and Canon 500mm FD f4 on SL support that a Novoflex adapter yields less vignetting than a combination involving the Leica M adapter.

For M- and most R-lenses on the SL, the Leica adapters works well. There is, however, some corner vignetting with the 280mm APO f4 when using stacked adapters on SL. As pointed out and demonstrated by wildlightphoto (and others) in other SL-threads, the problem is caused by the restrictive opening of the M-adapter. 

Hi,

I use the R 2.8/280 without problems with stacked adapters. So it is strange that the R 4/280 should have a problem. I also use the R 4.8/350 without problems. As far as I know the problem exists only with the 400mm and 560mm lenses in their M-version. Ask Doug (wildlightphoto) about it.

Even the R 500mm mirror lens works painlessly with the stacked adapters. (It has some vignetting, but independent of the adapters used).

Stephan

Here a Nikon 2.8/17-35  (this is a puzzle, guess, is it with stacked adapters or with a single adapter ?)

But back to the topic of the thread, no known problems with Nikon lenses. But I have nothing that is longer than 300mm. If you do, you should maybe first check. (extenders are no problem, as they are quite close to the camera sensor).

The Leica 400mm and 560mm are old lenses that have a completely different construction than modern lenses, they are made of only three lenses at he front of the lens tube.. Modern lenses have a completely different construction, which is not prone to this problem.

Edited by steppenw0lf

The adapter I really would like is the one Sean Reid also asks for in his test of the SL - an R adapter with a built in motor allowing auto aperture stop down (AASD) with R-lenses. If this is doable, I don`t know.

The adapter I really would like is the one Sean Reid also asks for in his test of the SL - an R adapter with a built in motor allowing auto aperture stop down (AASD) with R-lenses. If this is doable, I don`t know.

Hello Ivar.

It is certainly doable. Would it be practical and look nice ? Maybe.

There are many dreams I have - let's start with a big win in the lottery. Then I had the money to hire somebody to construct it. Or I could try to "crowd-fund" it. (Like Meyer Görlitz did with the Trioplan lenses for the SL)

Stephan

There is certainly a solution if there are enough interested people willing to invest some money into it. That's the bright side of the internet. This is doable ...    Maybe have a look at kickstarter.com and see how popular this is nowadays.  

This is just one place I know. There must be others, maybe better or worse, I have no clue about their quality.

What makes this dream adapter so expensive/difficult to construct is that it needs not only to fit mechanically, but also to "understand" the protocols of the SL camera (at least for aperture steering). I do not know how freely accessible they are.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

So it is strange that the R 4/280 should have a problem. I also use the R 4.8/350 without problems. As far as I know the problem exists only with the 400mm and 560mm lenses in their M-version. Ask Doug (wildlightphoto) about it.

As far as I recall - Doug sees the same - the deep corners turn dark when 280 APO f4 is used with stacked adapters on the SL. This holds irrespective of whether lens correction is turned on or off on SL (at least for the SL+280 combo that I have access to).

But I guess this is a deviation from the topic of the thread. Apologise for the deviation...

Hello Ivar.

It is certainly doable. Would it be practical and look nice ? Maybe.

There are many dreams I have - let's start with a big win in the lottery. Then I had the money to hire somebody to construct it. Or I could try to "crowd-fund" it. (Like Meyer Görlitz did with the Trioplan lenses for the SL)

Stephan

There is certainly a solution if there are enough interested people willing to invest some money into it. That's the bright side of the internet. This is doable ...    Maybe have a look at kickstarter.com and see how popular this is nowadays.  

This is just one place I know. There must be others, maybe better or worse, I have no clue about their quality.

I should think that this would not stress the development budget too much, and Leica have an obligation towards the R owners. I have by the way sold all my R lenses except the 6.8/400 where prices are so low you might as well keep the lens and I have kept a 2.8/45-90 for collection purposes. I would hate having to buy them back for more than the heavily doscounted prices I sold them for (including the 4/280). 

Personally, I have never felt Leica had any obligation to me to keep the R system lenses viable. I hoped they would, because they're excellent lenses and they cost a bunch, but I couldn't afford them when they were new anyway. The fact that the SL performs so well with them even with the double-adapter stack is a delight; I picked up a nice kit of them when prices were low. The prices are rising again since the SL was released, so my feeling that Leica does all they can within reason to keep their lenses viable was warranted, but I certainly wouldn't consider it their obligation. 

Putting aperture control into the R Adapter SL would be great, but it is somewhat complex. There's the mechanical bit of an actuator and feedback translation to the SL's electronics, and there are also timing issues. On the film cameras, the timing issues are linked to the mirror-shutter actuating mechanism; none of those mechanisms ever allowed the 11 fps that the SL is capable of. The SL needs to know when to fire the "open" command, and how quickly it can do so and achieve full closure of the iris properly for its elevated performance capabilities. And of course they want to support reading the ROM. Et cetera.

I'm sure Leica has gotten the feedback from many that an auto-aperture capable adapter is desired. Whether they can do it, and at what price, remains to be seen. It would be of little practical use if the cost of the adapter made it an unprofitable thing to produce—no one would buy it. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Would it be better to use LET/NIK adapter ( Novoflex ) or their Nikon to M adapter stacked with M-T adapter? Or there's no significant difference?

Hi,

maybe you remember the field report Jono Slack published. For many this was the start to the SL adventure.

I like his pictures very much and he made them with stacked adapters. (for the R lenses).

Since then I do not worry anymore when the R to L adapter will come.

Stephan

That means for me there is no significant difference (just in price). And I use what is readily available.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

I should think that the Leica T mount is still patent protected. Since Novoflex producers adapters, they must presumably have made an agreement with Leica. A helping hand from a fairly large fellow German producer to a tiny one, perhaps?

I should think that the Leica T mount is still patent protected. Since Novoflex producers adapters, they must presumably have made an agreement with Leica. A helping hand from a fairly large fellow German producer to a tiny one, perhaps?

Novoflex are only producing mechanical adapters for the SL. They are far away from your dream adapter.

Other companies produce already AF adapters for the Sony mirrorless. So they succeeded in making their adapters "understand" the alpha protocols. Here the step is maybe smaller.

Edited by steppenw0lf

The Leica 400mm and 560mm are old lenses that have a completely different construction than modern lenses, they are made of only three lenses at the front of the lens tube.. Modern lenses have a completely different construction, which is not prone to this problem.

The 400mm and 560mm f/5.6 and f/6.8 Telyts have two elements, not three.  The Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L is a much more recent design with internal focus (granted, it's not a 23-element 17-group lens like the 90-280 APO), a completely different design, and it exposes the M-mount's corner shade problem.

I uses both stacked and F to T mount adapter on my SL. I think my F to T mount is Kipon. Anyhow, generally, I prefer stacked adapter so can keep M to T mount adapter on the body and just change whatever lenses I have. However, for Zeiss 135/2 and 15/2.8, I prefer to use F to T mount adapter just because of the weight of the lenses and figure that I feel more comfortable that way. Personally I did not really see any

difference between using either.

• Like 1

Interesting. I just checked eBay and the adapter you refer to must be this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Nikon-lenses-to-Lecia-T-SL-TL-camera-LET-NIK-/201516610323?hash=item2eeb537313:g:VF4AAOSwGotWsX1j

It would be nice to know how well the focusing works if anyone tries it out.

Yep, but as I see it, you can buy it cheaper:

http://www.amazon.de/Novoflex-Objektivadapter-Adapterring-Blendenring-Objektiv/dp/B00QA40NZM?tag=lufviglink-21

Also - the price @ official Novoflex site is 169 € ( LET/NIK adapter )