M-P shutter curtain stays open even after turning off the camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes I notice that the shutter curtain is open, while I am changing the lens. It scares the hell out of me. Does this has anything to do with the setting in LV (EVF) mode, while the camera is turned off though? To solve the problem, I attach the 35/2 lens, turn on the camera, turn off the LV and the shutter curtain closes. This has happened a few times.

I am on the latest firmware 2.0.3.0.

Thanks for any ideas in advance!

I have noticed this same behavior on my M-P. I'm having some other live view issues, partially that I'm noticing that turning off LV is not closing the shutter. It's staying open and then I can't take photos using the RF. Upgraded to the latest firmware about a month ago, starting to regret having done that. 

Just checked my M (not M-P).

Just using LV, EVF not attached, the shutter closes after switching off LV.

Just using LV, EVF attached but not used, the shutter closes after switching off LV.

With the EVF attached, the sequence "switch on LV, switch on EVF, switch off EVF" results in the shutter closing and no display on the rear screen or EVF.

BUT

With the EVF attached, the sequence "switch on LV, switch on EVF, press LV button" returns you to the rear screen LV display, even though logically you'd expect pressing the LV button to switch off LV.

OP: is this your scenario?

I have no idea if this is intentional behaviour or if there is some reasoning behind it, but it does not seem intuitive to me.

Completely puzzled. Why shouldn't you be able to take photos using the RF? It is not as if it is inoperable with the camera in LV mode. Just look through the viewfinder, focus and shoot.

Or do you mean the shutter button becomes inoperable.

Just checked my M (not M-P).

Just using LV, EVF not attached, the shutter closes after switching off LV.

Just using LV, EVF attached but not used, the shutter closes after switching off LV.

With the EVF attached, the sequence "switch on LV, switch on EVF, switch off EVF" results in the shutter closing and no display on the rear screen or EVF.

BUT

With the EVF attached, the sequence "switch on LV, switch on EVF, press LV button" returns you to the rear screen LV display, even though logically you'd expect pressing the LV button to switch off LV.

OP: is this your scenario?

I have no idea if this is intentional behaviour or if there is some reasoning behind it, but it does not seem intuitive to me.

There is more that is not completely thought through. In EVF mode, the camera should return to the screen automatically when "play" is pressed. Now you have to press the EVF button additionally.

Btw, the camera should go to EVF immediately when the button on the EVF is pressed, the pressing of the LV button is redundant.

@Infrandom, I needed to upgrade the last firmware due to the warning "Check your Battery Age" and frozen shutter button. And yes, that happens here too, that it doesn't matter, what else I do with LV and EVF, the shutter button becomes frozen. I just turn the camera off and try with changing the lens, turning on and off LV and then the shutter can be released.

@LocalHero1853, Yes, it is the same scenario here. Frustrating!

@Jaapv, the shutter button freezes sometimes and I scratch my head. The odd thing is that the shutter speed in View Finder freezes too. In other words, it shows the same value, no matter which way I am looking at. And I am always set on A-Mode; the shutter speed should change when I change direction.

@muri, I wish that would have been the issue but my light metering set is on classic.

I am new to RF and often don't know if it is me or the camera or the setting?

There is more that is not completely thought through. In EVF mode, the camera should return to the screen automatically when "play" is pressed. Now you have to press the EVF button additionally.

Btw, the camera should go to EVF immediately when the button on the EVF is pressed, the pressing of the LV button is redundant.

I actually like the fact that "play" button press plays in the EVF if it is on. Since I am looking through EVF anyway (that's why I have EVF ON), I will prefer image playback in EVF.

To OP:

I have never seen open shutter in my M240 during lens change. I switch off the camera in between lens change and hardly use LV (in those times I use EVF and not rear LCD).

I wonder your situation has to do something with the metering mode? I use classic which uses the shutter blade for metering and not LV.

Edited by jmahto

@Peter, I did also took the battery off and put back in once but it didn't solve the problem. Changing the lens did help.

@Jayant, No the metering is set to classic. I am a newbie to RF so I will be using default setting for a while until I figure out the tricks.

OK, I just read the user manual, figured out the metering and switched to Advanced Metering. Will see how that goes.

But still don't understand what has metering or LV usage anything to do with shutter curtain freezing? I had it one more time now. I believe it has to do with auto power off mode. It freezes always after some idle time.

I can replicate the freeze, albeit in a slightly different way which simulates user error.

Camera to EVF, remove the lens without switching off. The shutter curtain drops immediately and the camera is frozen.  To revive: switch off, pull battery, switch on (camera still frozen) and remove the EVF.

OK, That is a different scenario. In my case the curtain doesn't drop but stays open. The shutter button freezes and then turn off, turn on main power and turn off LV and it begin to works again.

The shutter button freezes also when it falls in sleep mode in LV/EVF mode and open shutter curtain.

I tried taking lens off while LV was on for coded as well as non-coded lens but could not replicate shutter remaining open. Each time shutter closed, the moment lens was turned enough in the mount to disconnect. I have a feeling that it may be something to do with the sensor to detect whether lens is off.

@Jayant, It happens the same here. Taking off the lens while LV is on closes the shutter curtain immediately.

Now I have narrow the problem down to only when after some idle time in Power Off Mode the curtain stays open, even after turning off the camera. Could you please try that and see if that happens with your camera too?

@Jayant, It happens the same here. Taking off the lens while LV is on closes the shutter curtain immediately.

Now I have narrow the problem down to only when after some idle time in Power Off Mode the curtain stays open, even after turning off the camera. Could you please try that and see if that happens with your camera too?

Can you please give me the exact steps since I didn't follow what do you mean by "idle time in Power Off mode". Do you mean, 1) switch on LV, 2) wait for auto power off and then try it? Let me know and I will try in the evening.

Yes, 1) Turn on the camera and LV and leave the camera until it goes to Power Off mode. 2) Then wake up the camera by pressing shutter button. 3) Press the LV button and see if it closes or opens.

a. If you don't hear anything from the curtain, then it is the same behaviour as mine, namely the curtain is open.

b. If the shutter curtain is closed, then I have a bad lemon.

Thanks for simulating this for me!

Edited by Leicabuff

Just now tried it. This is what I did. No EVF. Only LV on rear LCD.

Un-Coded lens

1) Press LV to switch ON

2) The LV switches off after some time and shutter closes.

3) tap shutter and LV comes on automatically. Shutter opens.

4) Press LV and it switches off (since it is toggle)

Coded lens and automatic lens detection:

- Same behavior as above....

*BUT* I had one hand coded lens which camera was not able to read consistently. The lens detection comes and goes at random time. For this lens whenever camera didn't detect lens, the LV will switch off and I have to press LV again to bring it on. Even in this, I never had a case when shutter remains on and camera goes off. I think there is a mechanism built in so that if camera switches off when LV also goes off.

I also noticed something interesting. If the lens detection is manual and if you are in LV then you can remove the lens and shutter remains open. However, if it is coded lens with automatic lens detection then the LV goes off the moment camera detects that lens is being removed.

I have a feeling that your camera behavior has something to do with lens detection mechanism.

Edited by jmahto

@Jayant, Thanks for your efforts!

First I took the EVF out of the process, but it behaved the same after 2 minutes power off mode and shutter curtain stayed open.

Then I went to the menu and RESET all setting. So I guess it changed back to factory setting! Nothing changed and curtain stayed open.

Then I thought let's changed the lens. I have 3 new lenses. I noticed the issue with 35/2. I replaced it then with 90/2 lens. It worked according to your test for about four different scenario with LV on going to Power Off Mode and with LV off going to Power Off Mode. Each time the curtain clicked after two minutes Power Off mode and closed. Yay I thought.

But as soon as I introduced the overpriced EVF to the process, it began to behave the same way as it was before, namely the curtain stays open in Power Off Mode. And after waking up the camera by pushing the shutter button down, nothing happens. Everything is frozen. Then I press the LV button on, take a photo; turn off LV and the shutter closes. I have to turn on and off a few times until it works.

So here is the conclusion so far: In LV on the curtain stays open when the camera falls in Power Off Mode. Waking up the camera leads to frozen shutter button. Turning LV on and off resolves the problem. If the camera is in use and never falls in Power Off Mode, the issue doesn't occur. Adding EVF mess up the shutter curtain.

I will try later with my third lens. If the camera behaves the same, then I have to sent it to service rep.