35mm lens advice

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own pretty much all the lenses that I want (I own a few 50mm's which are my favorite) but the one focal legnth that I don't have oddly enough is a 35.
My 28mm Elmarit acts as a 35 on my M8 but I don't have a real 35 for my other cameras.

I'm starting to do some research but would like some advice.

..looking for a used lens and most likely pre-asph. I prefer fast lenses either summicron or summilux

I've read a lot about the focus issues with the 35....so I'd like some recommendations.

thanks in advance...

I own pretty much all the lenses that I want (I own a few 50mm's which are my favorite) but the one focal legnth that I don't have oddly enough is a 35.

My 28mm Elmarit acts as a 35 on my M8 but I don't have a real 35 for my other cameras.

I'm starting to do some research but would like some advice.

..looking for a used lens and most likely pre-asph. I prefer fast lenses either summicron or summilux

I've read a lot about the focus issues with the 35....so I'd like some recommendations.

thanks in advance...

Peterjob,

you can't go wrong with a 35 Summicron v1 or v2, v3, v4, a 35 summilux pre asph v2 , a 35 UC Hexanon Konica f2 . The  best deal would be  a Hexar AF 35 f/2 lens M modified by Miyazaki at the expense of a Hexar AF camera body.

Never paid attention or noticed shift focus issues on these mentioned lenses either on M digi bodies or film. 

My 2 cents, JM.

Depends on your budget too or course. The v2 and v3 summicrons being the cheapest. The v1 is collector driven, and the v4 still seems to be "bokeh-King" inflated. The pre asph summilux (v1 or v2) are still quite pricey too, and only focus to 1m rather than 0.7m for the summicrons.

Do you use filters? The summicrons mostly use 39mm filters, but others use series 7 in the hood.

Performance? Classic or modern(ish)? It pretty much follows introduction year.

Michael

• Like 1

I agree with both the above. I used a v2 Summicon (1969) for decades, and with M9 have tried Voigtlander, Zeiss, and a used 2.5 Summarit. I use the Summarit most now.

For a bargain, I really like the Voigtlander Nokton 35 f1.4 - the smallest 35 f1.4 today. It does have some focus shift on digital when stopping down, but in spite of that I've had mainly great results with it. The build, handling, and results are amazing for the price.

• Like 1

the Nokton are really great little lenses- they just sit perfectly on an M camera- perfect size and focus tab- and look awesome. I only sold mine because I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a V1 Summilux- the summilux is more dreamy that the CV

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

:

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I moved from a Summaron to a CV 35/2.5 (screwmount with a SM->adapter). Quite a difference, especially in contrast. The Summaron which I bought in 1968, and served me well for several decades, did a great job, but lacked the "pop" of more modern lenses. I tried briefly both the 35 Summilux and Summicron around 2006...both wonderful, but I believed for my purposes the CV would do the job and allow me some extra cash for other purposes. No disappointments on film bodies. I've briefly used it on my digital m4/3 (where it acts like a 70mm on full frame)...not quite as pleasing as on film. So, I'd say, expand your vision and consider all alternatives, including the Canon SM versions.

I have written this before, but it is worth repeating. I'm on my 3rd Summilux 35mm version 2, and to me it is like two lenses in one. Wide-open it has a wonderful glow, and stopped down to F2 or greater it is like the Summicron. Two-in-one is good for me.

• Like 4

35 Summicron ASPH.  

:) The difference between the ASPH and V1 or latter is like the taste of a Kosher pickle compared to some mass-produced vinegar cucumber. Kosher wins. The bokeh for ASPH is biter, eye offending.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Your perfect 35 is like your perfect red wine, it all depends....

I have owned a lot, not all but quite a few and when reducing my growing lens family, I kept three 35's over a number of other lenses

I love the 35 Summilux Aspherical (silly price so unless your wealthy or lucky please ignore), the Summicron mkIV and the Summaron f2.8. The other gems IMO are the 8 element V1 and the early Summilux 

I see you have an MM, buy the best condition Summaron, send it to Leica for a service and you won't be dissapointed 

• Like 2

I had a Summaron with goggles. Nice lens but the goggles were annoying to me so I bought a Skopar 2.5 as a 'stop gap' until I could get a Summicron, but I've never felt the need to change, it's a wonderful little lens! I did compare it to a Summicron ASPH and honestly, i couldn't see any difference in the photos (prints, not pixel peeping). 

If I was buying a Summicron I think I'd go for an earlier version - my favourite SLR lens is my Summicron R which dates from the mid 70's.

Any of the options will work, it's just a case of personal preference and budget to decide which is best for you. 

thanks for all the replies

Question....How can you tell the different versions of the 35 Summilux non-asph apart? Is it by year?

The serial numbers are notoriously tricky when it comes to Leica, particularly as one model transitions over to a newer design but according to the Wiki maintained on this site, pre-ASPH v.1 ends at 2167700, whilst v.2 begins at 2221201.

Hope this helps.

Edited by james.liam

the V1 summicron is blisteringly sharp- at least my goggled one is:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Ah, but it's not inconceivable, crows are very clever. I watched one with a stone in its beak, it went to the gutter on a roof and dropped the stone down the drain pipe. Then it flew down to where the pipe entered the ground and looked around. Just some blue sky research to satisfy its curiosity. 

Nice picture :)

• Like 1