35 Summarit-M lens hood loose 'Solution'

Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, after selling my 35 Summilux ASPH to fund an M9 I had replaced it with the Summarit-M 35 and really enjoy the lens for it's size and its IQ is very good indeed, however the lens hood is a screw type and is very loose on my copy.

I have found a solution if anyone is interested. Apply some PTFE tape (Plumbers Mate) and screw the hood on.. 

I have contacted Leica Mayfair about this and Jimmy claims the hood should have a small rubber ring that secures the hood when screwed on, similar to the 24mm f3.4 lens. I have checked the box and no such ring is present or on the hood or lens itself, I can only assume it is either not included or mine was missing, either way Jimmy said he will sort it out but until then I have sorted it using the PTFE tape.

Anyone else had any such issues with their Summarit lenses? I want to maybe get the 75mm too but do not wish for similar problems or having to carry a spare reel of PTFE tape around :)

I use this tape for my soft release. After losing a soft release on a trail and miraculously finding it I needed something to secure it from vibrating off. I simply put a tiny piece on the threads of the soft release and it's locks well.

My 75 Summarit hood has no issues, 1st version.

I use this tape for my soft release. After losing a soft release on a trail and miraculously finding it I needed something to secure it from vibrating off. I simply put a tiny piece on the threads of the soft release and it's locks well.

My 75 Summarit hood has no issues, 1st version.

Do you think this would work with a diopter as well?