Sometimes patience is rewarded ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After searching for one of these for 2 years a mint example with all its bits and in full working order was listed last week ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

… only 2.3 megapixels but it's a real beauty … a Leica D-Lux c.2003.  

30000 SNs allocated but they're so scarce it's likely not that many were actually manufactured. 

The first Pana-Leica made and by virtue of its classic Barnack shape one of the most charismatic.

Looking forward to using it and posting a few of the results.

Best wishes 

dunk

• Like 3

Nice find Dunk.

I still have my Digilux 4.3 which I bought new last century. Occasionally I get it out for a touch of nostalgia.

Gary

The Digilux 4.3 is also a charismatic camera - I have one complete with the dedicated slide copier and macro adapter. Still looking for a 1999 Digilux Zoom and 1998 Leica Digilux - but have the Fuji version of the former. 

dunk

That's an interesting find. It is certainly an attractive design (has a whiff of the later Contax T cameras) but, as a camera to use, it is presumably now just a curiosity for collectors? I recall considering buying one at the time but, even then, felt that the attractive design and build quality was let down by an underwhelming spec. There was some promotional material with 'fashion' photos by Bryan Adams associated with this camera and, I think, a limited edition book too.

That's an interesting find. It is certainly an attractive design (has a whiff of the later Contax T cameras) but, as a camera to use, it is presumably now just a curiosity for collectors? I recall considering buying one at the time but, even then, felt that the attractive design and build quality was let down by an underwhelming spec. There was some promotional material with 'fashion' photos by Bryan Adams associated with this camera and, I think, a limited edition book too.

Probably one of the few early digital compacts which can be classified as a 'collectable' and a curiosity for occasional use. Leica certainly went to town with its packaging and body design but as with any digital compact from that era it was soon superseded by higher spec. models. Whether such cameras become more popular with collectors remains to be seen - much depends on the longevity of the electronics - but it has satisfied my quest for a bit of Leica history. The timeless Barnack shape continued with the later 'X' series.

dunk

• Like 1

The Digilux 4.3 is also a charismatic camera - I have one complete with the dedicated slide copier and macro adapter. Still looking for a 1999 Digilux Zoom and 1998 Leica Digilux - but have the Fuji version of the former. 

dunk

Me too think, time to time, to buy one of those "digital Leica of past Century"... ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice example as mine bought mint some years ago in England

• Like 1

I'm surprised the batteries (2 were supplied with each camera) still take a charge. My example was new in 2004 after the previous owner's 2003 original was replaced under warranty due to an overexposure problem; Leica Milton Keynes' "replacement camera" paperwork was in the box. 

dunk

Blessed are the ones who...get shilled into collecting old DIGITAL cameras, that contain innumerable sources of failure and ?any? replacement parts supply, which is the reason they may not being serviced any more for how many years now?

I appologize for the blasphemical paraphrase of the Sermon on the Mount.

I have my Canon 1Ds and my M8 in weekly use (during the holiday in daily use) but neither would I buy another one nor would I dare sell one (to a friend or on ebay - no difference).

I'm very, very happy to have these two cameras, but I consider every year they work a gift.

Being a very little bit (by comparison to others) of a LTM collector and having a very big cabinet with variuos film cameras and lenses, not only do I understand the mentality and the joy, but I also share it.

To extend this passion into the digital age, just because it is a Leica, is something for each one to decide - after having collected information from Leica about maintenance and repair, as a suggestion.

Some of them are timeless design classics, worthy of a place in a museum - like non-functioning Braun Regie audio-components (or my old Narga and Uher-reporter recorders, that I haven't plugged in for decades). A pleasure to admire their look :)

Edited by tri

Notwithstanding the Sermon above, thought I'd shoot a pic of the one I mentioned Dunk.

Gary

• Like 3

While I agree with part of Tri's sermon, and most of what he states is correct, it takes away the warm and fuzzy feeling we all seem to get with things Leica.

This particular Digilux was my first real foray into Digital, and sold/given to me by an old friend now long gone. (I also have his beautiful Leicaflex SL black).

It took countless product shots for us when I sold on e bay for him, and the images were great then. Now? well time has marched on, and it really is a relic.

No different to what I look at in the mirror each day though, we all age.

Love to see your pics Dunk, it's as you say, history.

Gary

This thread made me look up Apple Newton worldwide on ebay just now.

Gave my full set at the turn of the millenium to my godchild.

Learned two years ago at the New Year's Eve party, that he left it behind, when he went to university and that his parents simply dumped it, when they moved house.

Who's a prophet to know what becomes collectibles? At least it would not have required much storage space.

I had to go deep into my box room (UK Terminology) - I bet if I charged the batteries up they would work..  

• Like 1

The first PanaLeica was the Digilux 1 from 2002 IINW. The famous "digital reportage camera" my avatar's holding since then. Brochure: attachicon.gifLeicaD1_brochure_opt.pdf

Yes you're right - I was planning to correct my previous statement. The actual Leica lenses used in the Digilux 1 and D-Lux 1 were fitted to the Panasonic /Matsushita DMC LC5 and F7 cameras in 2001 - the LC5 chassis was 'Leica-fied' and became the Digilux 1 and the F7 with a new 'Barnack Leica ' shaped body shell became the D-Lux 1. 

dunk

• Like 1

Notwithstanding the Sermon above, thought I'd shoot a pic of the one I mentioned Dunk.

Gary

The first one

• Like 2

Thanks for posting … Made by Fuji 1998/99 … 1.5 megapixels & fixed 7.6mm (35mm FF equiv) f3.2 lens. I'm looking for one  - whether there is one in working order remains to be seen :)

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire