Summicron R 50mm Leitz Canada

corine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,
I have a Summicron R 50mm Leitz Canada with the following serial number: 2913050. It has an incorporated hood.

- Which year, version does it belong to?
- What is its thread? I want to use it on a Sony a7s II camera and I need ND filters on it.
- But I found the following adapter that has an incorporated variable ND filters:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041731-REG/fotodiox_vzlx_thrtl_eos_nex_pro_vizelx_nd_throttle_adpter.html
And I want to use it with my Novoflex eos to leica R lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/220121-REG/Novoflex_EOS_LER_Leica_R_to_Canon_EOS.html
Did anybody tried that, and what is your feedback?

Thank you for your time to investigate my questions.

Hello Corine,

Welcome to the Forum.

The number you wrote above is from the 1978 production year.

The Wiki at the top of this page says that it is a 50mm lens but lists it as rangefinder, not a reflex, lens.

You have entered the World of Leitz/Leica in which there are sometimes serial number inconsistencies.

Is it possible that you might have a picture of the lens?

Is the aperture adjustment near the part of the lens near the body or near the end away from the body?

By the way: You came to the right place to ask these questions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hello,
Here are 2 pictures:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is not a rangefinder lens.

Thank you Micheal

Hello Corine,

Welcome to the Forum.

The number you wrote above is from the 1978 production year.

The Wiki at the top of this page says that it is a 50mm lens but lists it as rangefinder, not a reflex, lens.

You have entered the World of Leitz/Leica in which there are sometimes serial number inconsistencies.

Is it possible that you might have a picture of the lens?

Is the aperture adjustment near the part of the lens near the body or near the end away from the body?

By the way: You came to the right place to ask these questions.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Corine,

This lens is pretty much the same lens optically as the current 50mm F2 "M" lens (Not the Apo.). You should find it quite acceptable for any photography you do. Any comments you hear about the "M" lens equivalent pretty much hold for your lens.

Enjoy it.

Hello Locutus,

Welcome to the Forum.

Best Regards Both,

Michael

• Like 2

And it's a Mandler lens, which is a guarantee for ohh, ahh, responses from your public without them knowing why this photo is just that special

Ha! thx for the info. As per the photo/video, well the eye is also crucial to produce ohs and ahs!

• Like 1

I have the same lens (well, different serial number, obviously!) from the same year and place of manufacture.

A couple of years ago I found the following text online somewhere or another and saved it to my notebook - apologies for not knowing the source but hopefully it's a useful summary:

The worlds best 50mm standard lens, the Leica 50mm Summicron-R f/2.0 (no 11 215) was designed by Dr Walter Mandler in 1976 and produced until 2009. It is larger, but essentially the same as the similarly designed Summicron-M (version IV, no 11 826) that is still in production as the rather economical standard lens ($2,295) for the Leica M. The Leica 50mm Summicron-R f/2.0 has one big advantage going for it: The most narrow focus range is 47 cm which get you real close and create a whole new range of selective focus and sparkling bokeh.
  • Like 1

Ha! thx for the info. As per the photo/video, well the eye is also crucial to produce ohs and ahs!

You are right, of course. But just try once: a capture in B&W on film with some Nikon or Canon lens with that year of construction, try to print it, look at the blacks, try to dodge them and lighten them up a little. You'll see how rich the blacks remain in the Leica captures

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, thats the one for Leica R series SLR's.

It is a pretty nice 50mm and well worth using. Contrasty, reasonably sharp at f/2 already and gets damn sharp when stopping down. It should work well in digital too.

Hi,

yes, it works very nicely on the SL. It is actually my "normal lens" since February. But I like all the Summicrons (35, 50, 90) very much because they are smaller than the Summiluxes. The SL with this lens is a very attractive combination. They give you the feeling of the good old Leica days again. (The SL feels a bit like the R4, though it is bigger)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1