E6 Chemistry - good for how long?

chrism

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going to try out proper E6 development (I say 'proper' as my first attempt to develop slide film with a B&W developer, re-exposure to light, and then conventional C-41 development was less than a resounding success. Note to self: sometimes the experts know what they are doing.)

So I have a one quart kit in the fridge, and I haven't diluted anything as yet. I have 8 rolls of Velvia 100 in the freezer—yes, I mean rolls—120 film. Naturally, great success with this might mean some 35mm slide film going into my M2. I haven't used slide film for decades and I need to use them up and get them developed and done. For some perverse reason I have decided to do this with the camera I call my medium format Instamatic, a Fuji GA645. The first roll was nearly finished today, so seven more to go. My question is this: what are your experiences of the longevity of an E6 home kit once it has been mixed up? May I develop each as I go along, or must I expose all and then develop them in the course of a couple of days? I have room in my chemistry fridge (I know, a bit sad isn't it?) for the diluted solutions if that will prolong their active lives.

Chris

I haven't developed E-6 for a while, but I would get the kits that would develop 12 rolls of 120 or 35mm 36 exposure.  For 35mm, I would develop 12 rolls at one sitting so that freshness of the chemistry was not an issue; I used a four roll tank for 35mm.  It would take most of the dayto do 12 rolls.  For 120, I would do six rolls at a time using two 120 developing reels.  I would do 12 rolls over the course of 2-3 days so that the chems would not become weak kneed from age.

I cannot recall how long E-6 chems are good for once they are mixed; it seems like it was six weeks, but it may have been four.  If you check the instructions that come with your E-6 chemistry kit, it should give that you information.  If not, check the information on the chemistry manufacturer's website.

I agree, about six weeks, so you should manage to shoot 8 rolls ;-)

You can get aerosols of inert gas to replace the air in your storage bottles but I wouldn't bother. Like C41 chemistry there isn't a big cliff that the chemicals fall off when they start to degrade, just keep an eye on quality by comparing your first film with the last after you've got to six weeks, you may be able to extend it a touch.

Steve

• Like 1

A good illustration of my problem, Andy. The thread you linked to says:

I have to use all the concentrate within 24 hours (once opened) by mixing up into solutions and putting into storage bottles as the 1st developer only lasts a day or 2 at most

follow the manufacturers advice.

If you'll use up all the concentrate within 3 to 6 months from the first time you open it, you will be safe (this is from my practical experience).

Don't worry it will be fine to mix up in small small amounts 250-500ml the concentrate lasts well, 10 months if you use Protectan.

We have estimates ranging from "a day or two" to "10 months" and it seems that some of these refer to the unmixed concentrate when small portions of it are diluted, rather than the diluted working solutions.  A 1 quart kit doesn't have enough concentrate to mix up small batches, so some of these quotes don't apply. The one pint kits have the capacity to develop all the slide film I have, but when made up still don't make enough volume to cover a single reel of 120 film. That's why I had to wait for the 1 quart kits to come back into stock. I have decided to mix up my 1 quart kit and develop two films simultaneously on a single reel as I use them. With a small amount of effort I can do that in three weeks. If the chemicals go bad I will give a warning here.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Up front, I will say that I use one month as my limit for mixed working solutions of color chemistry (C-41 Flexicolor). I don't do one-shot, so my 1-litre/1-quart bottles are full until I dump them after 8 rolls or so. (8 120 rolls = 8 135-36).

The main problem with aging chemicals (in any photo process) is oxidation. Color chemicals are just more susceptible since they contain more organic (e.g. food-like) compounds, especially in the color developer dye components. Heat** will also "cook" those same organics, so storage below 60F/15C - but ABOVE FREEZING!! - will help extend life. So will dark storage.

(Or, in short, treat them like fine wines ;) )

One way to forestall oxidation is to use collapsible bottles, whereby one can "squeeze out" the air in partially filled bottles and reduce the available oxygen in contact with the chemical solution surface.

Cubitainers, with a stiff cardboard box and a collapsible soft plastic liner, are good (ambient air pressure collapses the liner as you draw out chemistry, matching the bottle volume to the chemical volume automatically) - but likely too large for your needs http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/bottles/75076p.jpg

Accordion storage bottles are a better bet for small volumes. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318712-REG/Kaiser_204198_Accordion_Storage_Bottle.html

_______

**That being said, I worked at newspapers in the 1980s that used Wing-Lynch E6 processors, which were often left "on" at normal processing temperatures (100°F) for several days without problems. But our volume was large enough that we changed the chemicals once a week or more, so the high temps were not an issue. We used them up before they aged.

Edited by adan

I have the chemicals in accordion bottles in my chemistry fridge. The first two films came through beautifully. Thanks for all the answers. I'll try to get it all used up in a month.

Chris