SL sent to Germany for repair, any way to track status?

Ranma13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, I sent an SL to New Jersey to repair a mark on the sensor. I sent in the camera early March 2016, and they forwarded it to Germany for repair. I've since heard moot from Leica, and their reply to my most recent inquiry e-mail said that they were updating their SAP system, so there will be delay in their response. I'm getting kind of worried since there's no way to check the status and no estimation on when I can expect it back. I would hate for the camera to disappear into a black hole for 6 months or more. Given that the repair is on the sensor itself, it would likely be either a replacement unit or a major repair job, so I'd like some confirmation that it wasn't forgotten in some corner of Leica's repair facility.

I was wondering, aside from e-mailing Leica New Jersey, is there another way I can check on the status of my camera repair? I did receive a repair number, but there doesn't seem to be any way I can use it.

Hello all, I sent an SL to New Jersey to repair a mark on the sensor. I sent in the camera early March 2016, and they forwarded it to Germany for repair. I've since heard moot from Leica, and their reply to my most recent inquiry e-mail said that they were updating their SAP system, so there will be delay in their response. I'm getting kind of worried since there's no way to check the status and no estimation on when I can expect it back. I would hate for the camera to disappear into a black hole for 6 months or more. Given that the repair is on the sensor itself, it would likely be either a replacement unit or a major repair job, so I'd like some confirmation that it wasn't forgotten in some corner of Leica's repair facility.

I was wondering, aside from e-mailing Leica New Jersey, is there another way I can check on the status of my camera repair? I did receive a repair number, but there doesn't seem to be any way I can use it.

Hi.

Try to fill in your repair no. on this site.

http://repair.leica-camera.com/service/repairtracking/

Thanks, I've tried that site already. My repair order number starts with a V, and the site says that it's an invalid repair number. When I try to enter the number without the V, I get "No repairorder available".

Being a polite "squeaky wheel" might yield more results.

Being obnoxious never brings out the best in people from whom one is trying to gain cooperation.

But I hope your SL gets sorted.

Ranma,  I have heard about the recent system upgrade at Leica and its resulting meltdown in distribution about one month ago. On top of that, Leica is not really organized for customer service unless you are a "rock star" photographer, :)...  at least in my experience of many years. My impression is that Leica's enterprise information system was designed just about the time that Walter Mandler retired.

But I do think you have an alternate course of action. Presuming you purchased your SL from a USA Leica dealer and the "sensor mark" is a defect not caused by you, I would try calling Roger Horn directly in New Jersey to ask for a solution. Your body should have been replaced by now, given that the sensor repair was not accomplished quickly. You might need to phone several times, leaving a polite message, until Mr. Horn or one of his delegates contacts you. I do expect that once Leica USA management realizes that you have been left dangling, they will offer some solution directly or via your dealer. Too bad your dealer seems useless after having taken his cut  :angry: .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being a polite "squeaky wheel" might yield more results.

Being obnoxious never brings out the best in people from whom one is trying to gain cooperation.

But I hope your SL gets sorted.

yes perhaps you're right.....persistent and polite might have been a better choice of words on my part, but I can understand Ranma13's frustration on having laid out a considerable amount of money to purchase the SF then to have those many weeks without the camera whilst they repair the faults.

But Leica has always been the same in regards how long they take to address repairs and warranty issues, sadly it comes with the territory.

yes perhaps you're right.....persistent and polite might have been a better choice of words on my part, but I can understand Ranma13's frustration on having laid out a considerable amount of money to purchase the SF then to have those many weeks without the camera whilst they repair the faults.

But Leica has always been the same in regards how long they take to address repairs and warranty issues, sadly it comes with the territory.

Yes, I agree. Not acceptable. As I say, I hope the OP's camera is sorted and pronto....

Ranma,  I have heard about the recent system upgrade at Leica and its resulting meltdown in distribution about one month ago. On top of that, Leica is not really organized for customer service unless you are a "rock star" photographer, :)...  at least in my experience of many years. My impression is that Leica's enterprise information system was designed just about the time that Walter Mandler retired.

But I do think you have an alternate course of action. Presuming you purchased your SL from a USA Leica dealer and the "sensor mark" is a defect not caused by you, I would try calling Roger Horn directly in New Jersey to ask for a solution. Your body should have been replaced by now, given that the sensor repair was not accomplished quickly. You might need to phone several times, leaving a polite message, until Mr. Horn or one of his delegates contacts you. I do expect that once Leica USA management realizes that you have been left dangling, they will offer some solution directly or via your dealer. Too bad your dealer seems useless after having taken his cut  :angry: .

I am living in Europe, and have visit Wetzlar several times when I have had any problems with my cameras . I have always got a perfect and fast service, and I am not famous in any skills.

I think the delay in service are coursed by NJ office. It looks also for me, that the repair no. is the local NJ number, and not the repair no, from Wetzlar.

I've since heard moot from Leica, and their reply to my most recent inquiry e-mail said that they were updating their SAP system, so there will be delay in their response.

It sounds like you got this form e-mail or one very similar to it, which after the signature gives a phone number and extension for people following up on repairs. There's also a fax number at the bottom:

Dear Leica Customer,

This automatically generated email is to confirm receipt of your request or inquiry.  We will make every effort to promptly reply to your email in the order it was received.  Please be advised that there will be a delay in responding due to the slow integration of new business software throughout the company.  Thank you for your support and consideration.

Best regards,

Leica Technical Support

Customers following up on a repair order or otherwise in need of contacting the Leica Service Department can do so via repair@leicacamerausa.com or

(800) 222-0118 ext.9930

Leica Camera Inc.

1 Pearl Court, Unit A / Allendale, NJ 07401 / USA

www.leica-camera.com

Telephone: (+1) 800-222-0118 / Fax (+1) 201-995-1684

I received the following reply from Bill Weier:

There will be a delay in our response. The Customer Care Department is in training for our new computer system; SAP. We will respond as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience.

and the following reply from Jim Nooney:

DUE TO CONTINUING SAP TRAINING THERE WILL BE A DELAY IN REPSONDING TO EMAILS RECEIVED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

I think I will wait until the end of the month before trying to contact them again. That way it'll be a nice even 3 months since I sent the camera in. I've heard about the long turnaround times and lack of visibility with Leica repairs, but it's hard to appreciate how frustrating it is until it happens to you personally.

Any company that starts telling you, in a customer relations message, the brand name of its enterprise management system has lost the plot and needs a corporate culture rethink.

These responses should, honestly, start "Due to our management failings..........."

Edited by LocalHero1953

IMO the OP should contact the highest possible level in Wetzlar. This is quite unacceptable. Even the smallest company knows to assign a staff member and laptop to handle incoming customer communications in a time of administrative transition.

IMO the OP should contact the highest possible level in Wetzlar. This is quite unacceptable. Even the smallest company knows to assign a staff member and laptop to handle incoming customer communications in a time of administrative transition.

Jaap, although I completely agree with your reaction and suggestion, I can also say that replies to USA customers from Wetzlar are really no different than from NJ in my experience...  usually not helpful, whether repairs or technical information.

FWIW, a couple of months ago, I wrote Wetzlar (after NJ failed to reply) asking about the serial number on a lens that did not match with the forum wiki table. I got a reply saying that I must be confused because the sn I sent was for an APO Telyt 135mm produced in 2003, rather than the 2008 Noctilux f/1 I had purchased. So, I sent an image of the lens! Leica wrote back that it could not explain what had happened, seemingly oblivious to why anyone would be curious about the provenance of Leica equipment.

Well, that is something different. As any Leica historian will attest, the factory records of numbers, years and types are convoluted, to put it mildly. I am not surprised that an individual inquiry was not answered satisfactory. The point in this thread, however, is that it was answered by Germany, unlike NJ.

I find this shocking. I have lived through two enterprise management systems changes at work: the idea of telling your customers "sorry we can't work for you" during this time would have been the stuff of comedy.

You can only do it (A) if you have no competition ( B ) you have a low opinion of your customers and ( C ) you are making too much money from those customers, so can forego the lost income. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

That "SAP training" has been going on for at least a month.  I had Leica's US CS person (I seriously think he's the only one) simply stop responding to me about an issue with my APO 50.  He was supposed to find out if it had the flare correction done and then vanished.

I know for a fact people from Leica USA and Leica AG lurk on this forum.  If one of them happens to read this then I dare them to answer this question:  It seems spending $14,000 for a body and lens isn't enough to warrant decent customer service.  How much do you need to further raise your prices in order to make that happen?  Please let me know so I can plan next year's budget accordingly.

/rant

edit - I toned it down a bit.  This is a sore topic with me, particularly right now.  Leica is very heavy handed with their marketing. They are constantly selling, marketing, pushing new products, pushing workshops, etc.  I get that their business is to sell.  BUT, they cast themselves into the role of being a "premium" or "luxury" brand.  This really rubs me the wrong way because Leica USA's customer support is so lackluster.  They're in the world's biggest hurry to sell you the next new thing at a high price but they have little to no interest in post sales support.  That's the earmark of a hustler, not a craftsman.

Edited by Joshua Lowe

Especially as this is in stark contrast to the mentality one encounters at CS Wetzlar. Leica USA appears to be somewhat independent from the main company, but I can imagine frowns at Headquarters over matters like this.