My own Dark/wetroom

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to build an Wet/Darkroom for developing and printing my own B&W and also wet printing my color negs.

My question is what do I need to buy to get myself started printing 20 x 24. When I say get started I mean, I know the basics of wet printing, I just would like to know recommendations for Enlargers, lenses, timers, etc etc.

The dark room will be approximately 200 sq/ft. Kind of L-shaped.

I want to put together one list and hopefully get everything from B&H so that I can ship it all together :)

I don't want to buy top shelf if its not necessary, and I defiantly don't want to buy crap. If you have your own Darkroom and do your own printing please share your recommendations.

appreciate in advance.

Neil

We love your defiance of crap Neil! And we love your gung ho attitude.

Check out the blog posts from http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com. He has a couple of sections on building darkrooms and his experiences with them.

As for equipmemt ... All depends on how long before you go to 5x4" cameras. And if you say that will never happen ... Its only because you will stop farting around and go straight to 10x8". :).

You need an enlarger, a focus aid, 3 trays larger than 20x24, a print washer, dryer (maybe flattener depending on if you go to paper or RC paper), red lights, curtains, black out materials, paper safe, jars, bottles, measuring containers, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neil,

I know you are hell-bent on buying new, from B&H, all in one package, and I guess that suits your style.

Me? There are bargains galore on a local (NZ) auction site, enlargers, as well as the many items you need. (trays, easel, tongs, dev tanks, focus finders, etc). I'd be buying piece-meal as and how it came along.

Is there anything comparable locally in your area? Buying used has definite advantages, cost being a major one. Enlarger lenses are something you may want to "acquire" used, there are some definite bargains, for example the Apo Rodagons that I have.

Either way, have fun.

Gary

I wouldn't buy an enlarger new or even used from B&H or any of the big stores. I'd buy that from Ebay.

I'd buy all of the other stuff from B&H because the prices aren't that different than ebay or they aren't that bad.

Trays, tongs, safelight...all are pretty cheap from B&H.

Timer?

I'd buy from Ebay or even go the metronome route.

I'd go ebay for enlarger lenses too.

It doesn't take much to get geared up to print.

You are definitely one of a kind my friend....one of a kind.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Advance notice: 10x8 enlargers get quite big when fully grown:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

The enlarger choice depends on the range of negative sizes. A solid, used bargain for 35mm to 6x6 was the old Omega B22XL, which had an extra long column. I used one for decades, and printed 20x24 from 35mm. At the local Leica dealer (1960s in college) I also printed with their Focomat IIc for comparison, and they were impressed with the results from my cheap Omega. The Omega was a condenser enlarger, so tends to be higher contrast and sharper grain than the more diffuse Focomat. The B22 was a staple in newsroom labs, and the market flooded with used ones a while back.

Now I have a Focomat 1b and Focomat V35 as well, and the autofocus is convenient, but I still find the condenser B22 makes contrast adjustment easier for me - I guess 50 year old habits have an effect.

• 2 weeks later...

35 mm and larger format enlargers are different beasts.    Buying a LF one for 35 mm is like buying a formula 1 to get groceries.   They take up way too much space to no advantage.

Leica enlargers were the best 35 mm one made.  However old now and difficult to maintain.   early lenses were junk.  Later ones excellent.

Buy something simple like a B22 Omega.  No electronics.   Check bulb availability and buy 24 now.  Use a voltage reducer to preserve.

Like all old technology,  maintenance is a problem so keep it simple.

Cheap kit ones are not worth the varnish on the base.  

I am going to build an Wet/Darkroom for developing and printing my own B&W and also wet printing my color negs.

My question is what do I need to buy to get myself started printing 20 x 24. When I say get started I mean, I know the basics of wet printing, I just would like to know recommendations for Enlargers, lenses, timers, etc etc.

The dark room will be approximately 200 sq/ft. Kind of L-shaped.

I want to put together one list and hopefully get everything from B&H so that I can ship it all together :)

I don't want to buy top shelf if its not necessary, and I defiantly don't want to buy crap. If you have your own Darkroom and do your own printing please share your recommendations.

appreciate in advance.

Neil

Printing colour negatives will drive you around the bend. There used to be psychiatrists specializing in the  resulting mental defects. At the very least you will need : a colour head, a set of Kodak viewing filters, a colour meter, a constant temperature chemicals storage and a multitimer. And/or a Jobo machine. Plus effective ventilation. Be prepared for a steep learning curve.

• Like 3

As for equipmemt ... All depends on how long before you go to 5x4" cameras. And if you say that will never happen ... Its only because you will stop farting around and go straight to 10x8". :).

ooh! Buy mine!

saltzman_30-WAB.jpg

• Like 1

Let me guess .., about 7.5 feet tall and weighs 120kg (265lbs)?

Mine is 15 foot tall (they vary) which includes the two very rare 14" diameter condensers, not shown in the photo, ~1200 pounds (544 kilo?) For scale, the table is about waist high; I'm 5' 10".

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Ouch! Thanks for the clarification. I was only a factor of two and five out ... Which explains why my my wife always crashed the car when i said "back it up by 12 inches".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hey Neil, you've gone quiet on us. How's it all going?

James I am still here...............I haven't had a chance to get back to Thailand to get things moving forward and it looks like it could be September before that happens, but its still in my plans and will happen whenever I get back home :)

The best thing to buy for any wet darkroom is an editing suite, ...................... also known as a daylight balanced light source and a large waste bin.

But good luck, if I had the space and I'd be on Ebay quick as a flash.