28 Summaron redux?

Hayek

What a shame it's 28mm: a 35mm would have much greater appeal, given the focal length of the Q. Also it is a pity that Voigtländer seems to have discontinued its LTM adapters, as these were of excellent quality.

Edited by microview

I absolutely love the 35mm f2.8 summaron it's very small neat and light and outperforms most of the 35mm lenses at f5.6 just check the mtf's

Personally anything slower then f2.8 I struggle with tbh

What's wrong with an older summicron or new summarit for size and stopped down performance ?

A pointless lens to me !

The reasonably-reliable Leica Rumors website claims a new body-cap f/5.6 model is due out soon.

http://leicarumors.com/2016/05/10/leica-rumored-to-announce-a-new-summaron-m-28mm-f5-6-lens.aspx/#more-40367

Add closer focus and it would be a street-shooter's dream...

I don't see where LR is claiming anything of the sort. They are saying 'Leica is rumored...' but they don't say just who is rumoring and the language doesn't imply they (LR) are. Perhaps it's just CYA in case Leica doesn't come up with the product. I suppose a new lens would best mimic the optical and design styling of the old 1:5.6 or what's the point? On the other hand if that is of major importance then one can just fight it out on Ebay and get the real thing. Leica is having their forty days in the desert, like a lot of camera manufacturers.

s-a

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The reasonably-reliable Leica Rumors website claims a new body-cap f/5.6 model is due out soon.

http://leicarumors.com/2016/05/10/leica-rumored-to-announce-a-new-summaron-m-28mm-f5-6-lens.aspx/#more-40367

Add closer focus and it would be a street-shooter's dream...

Since the old Leitz Summaron 5.6-28 mm never has been built with M bayonet, why should Leica do it today?
The last lenses with lower initial aperture at 4.0 were Macro-Elmar 90mm and WATE 16-18-21mm.
Instead dreaming of lenses that will never approach to the market, buy a good clean old Summaron 5.6-28mm or have a look to used older 28er ltm-lenses of other brands, some of them are even small.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I should have consulted with the Legal Department before passing on the rumor. I promise a disclaimer next time. "Batteries not included", "YMMV" and "please take your daily haloperidol before replying"... ;)

Edited by Hayek

28mm focal length has seen something of a resurgent popularity. There's the new Otus 28 and the Q, of course but the Ricoh GR has always been 28 with a singular exception. There was a Nikon 28 mirrorless too that was recently discontinued. From what I read, the new M 28s are mild revisions to accommodate digital sensors. Would an M 28/5.6 (or f/4) with a perfectly flat field and able to resolve at groundbreaking levels be that ridiculous? Just speculation but maybe paired with a new 50/3.5 collapsible Elmar?

• Like 1

Update...Looks even less appealing: http://leicarumors.com/2016/05/15/more-info-on-the-upcoming-leica-summaron-m-28mm-f5-6-lens.aspx/#more-40481

The rumor notes that this is part of a line of new lenses that don't compete with existing one. Could a collapsible Elmar be in there somewhere??

(Remember...YMMV, batteries not included, take your Haldol before replying)

You mean, Leicarumours should invest their time in inventing rumours about more recent models instead of rumours about retro lenses?

Funny.

But they do have a decent track record with upcoming items. It would be a tad disappointing if they change nothing at all but the coatings

• Like 1

Just putting it together with the precision they have today can make all the difference. And do not underestimate the power of coatings!

There is no point in making it about performance, as it's not going to get much or any cheaper than the current 28/2.8 anyway.

They have a certain standard at Leica, and a little less glass is not going to change that. Diminishing returns and all.

I think it's great that they're offering an alternative to a performance-driven line-up, fresh out of the factory.

If anybody could make this work it's Leica. As many of us love stuff with 'character', why would they not embrace that.

Frankly i'm amazed that it took this long.

Edited by T*Sonnar

This rumour is consistent with some of the statements that have come from Leica recently about looking at older lens designs.

F5.6, especially with film, will probably seem a little slow but I might still be interested in this lens if it isn't priced for collectors.

Maybe Leica Camera AG should consider putting more of their limited resources into the promised Leica SL lenses and accessories before announcing and manufacturing a line of retro optics?

Personally I'm glad that they are not but I dare say that the people involved in these projects are not overlapping.

Even if priced accordingly, something like this isn't meant to be about budget. The cost of making any M-mount lens at all by the hands of Leica is likely at its maximum efficiency already with the Elmar and Summarits.

If you're simply looking for a compact 28mm solution with stunning performance, i'd spend a couple hundred more on the 2.8 Elmar if necessary.

Or even cheaper than that, as it is probably easy to find one used in mint condition. Not so easy for a classic surpassing most of our own ages.

Three of the original Summaron 28/5.6 L39 screw mount lenses are currently listed by European dealers (one UK, one Austria) all of which are probably cheaper (£600 to £800) than any assumed new price (£1500 minimum??) for the rumoured newly computed, retro-look, Leica 28mm pancake lens 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

F5.6, especially with film, will probably seem a little slow but I might still be interested in this lens if it isn't priced for collectors.

I've a Ricoh GR that's so excellent, I passed on a 28mm M lens altogether; ƒ/5.6-8 is probably where the bulk of the images were shot at.

The old 28/5.6, from what little I've seen in posted shots, wasn't particularly sharp at any aperture (correct me if I'm wrong).

But a modestly priced (~$1500/£1000) well-corrected, perfectly flat field, zero distortion body cap for street, event shooting in good light; even with a lower-contrast rendering? 

I think it would get a lot of attention.

Someone mentioned above that it is planned as part of a series of lenses that does;t compete with others; add a 35 Summaron ƒ3.5, maybe a new slower collapsible 50 Elmar and you have a great kit.

Edited by james.liam