Pakon - a new love affair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a great tip!

I will try this one next time instead of bumping the reels into my hand over the sink.

I use a negative squeegee. I dip it in the PhotoFlo solution to wet it before I use it and I have never had any problems with scratching. Also, a great tip a good friend gave me was: run a hot shower before processing in the bathroom and let the room cool down again. This will make any dust settle.

Edited by BerndReini

I use a negative squeegee. I dip it in the PhotoFlo solution to wet it before I use it and I have never had any problems with scratching. Also, a great tip a good friend gave me was: run a hot shower before processing in the bathroom and let the room cool down again. This will make any dust settle.

Yes Bernd, the hot shower before developing technique is what I use to reduce dust.

The squeegee is something I tried in the beginning (I also did a film wash in Photoflo at that time).

I streamlined my development workflow over the years though and found that luckily with our water I don't have to Photoflo the film and water stains are mostly not an issue.

The Salad dryer is a great thing, as it doesn't add to my current workflow but actually replaces one step with a seemingly easier one.

- now it is spool film in dark bag and load development canisters (I use 4 JoBo double spool canisters for 135 + 120)

- develop with D-76 1:1

- fix with Kodak rapid fixer

- wash with Ilford method

- salad spin

- hang to dry

- cut, archive sleeve and weight for a few days

- scan (quick pre scan at ~1600dpi)

- edit

- final high res scan of keepers

I would love to do the prescan of 135 with a Pakon scanner but these are forbiddingly expensive to get to China mainland, so I just use my Konica Minolta scanners instead which makes for a slower and more laborious process (scanning in 6-frame negative strips).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<I would love to do the prescan of 135 with a Pakon scanner but these are forbiddingly expensive to get to China mainland>

Isn't there a guy in Guangzhou on Alibaba (or one of those sites) who is selling a couple of these?

Edited by russell

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Someone should definitely make a modern version of the Pakon. It would sell a lot!

All these Plusteks and Epsons are good.. BUT they require a lot of work, file fiddling and pre and post processing, and the process is comparatively extremely slow compared to just popping a roll through the Pakon in 5mins and have acceptable scans with great colors...

The Plusteks and Epsons are good for archival or big-print scans... But how often do we need that? Really?

Give me a modern version of the Pakon and I'd buy it instantly.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 2

Someone should definitely make a modern version of the Pakon. It would sell a lot!

All these Plusteks and Epsons are good.. BUT they require a lot of work, file fiddling and pre and post processing, and the process is comparatively extremely slow compared to just popping a roll through the Pakon in 5mins and have acceptable scans with great colors...

The Plusteks and Epsons are good for archival or big-print scans... But how often do we need that? Really?

Give me a modern version of the Pakon and I'd buy it instantly.

Yes! (and double yes if it did 120 also.)

Edited by rpavich
  • Like 1

Yes! (and double yes if it did 120 also.)

So I'll guess you would use 120 for potentially better quality images, but would still be happy with low quality output? Really for home scanning the speed issue should read 'can't be bothered to do any more'.

So I'll guess you would use 120 for potentially better quality images, but would still be happy with low quality output? Really for home scanning the speed issue should read 'can't be bothered to do any more'.

Nope. You continually make the same mistake in each thread you see the work Pakon in.

Not low quality, low file size.

We are not lazy, we don't hate work, we don't settle for crap output because of speed...nope..none of those.

If you hate Pakons...then bravo! Mazel Tov!...more power to you...you can skip buying one, we happen to love them...that's all.

Edited by rpavich
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...