262 – does anyone use a grip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must say I had scorned the idea of camera add-ons to facilitate usage, but when I bought the Q I found it added hugely to handling the camera to have the Leica grip – not too much of a bother to unscrew to access SD card/battery either. Now I have just purchased an M262 (not the M-D I hasten to add :rolleyes: ) to some extent because of its lower weight than a 240. (I had the latter but found it too heavy to enjoy that much, after an earlier time with an M9.) The grip would of course reduce that weight saving, but I'd love to hear what you feel, if you have added the plain grip to your M model. I know the multi-function grip cannot work with the 262, according to Jim Arnold's review, except as a basic add-on.

Edited by microview

No, I just don't see the camera lacking in terms of holdability. It's not like I'm going to be mounting a 70-200mm f2.8. Lenses like the 28mm f2.8 or 75mm f2 don't require extra body leverage to use.

I have a thumbs-up as a result of it being included when I purchased a used M9-P. Tried it a little while before removing it. No interest using it on the M262.

• Like 2

i feel that the grip for M9 isnt suitable for small hands, as the grip doesnt go all the way up to the top of the top plate, and consequently for a small hand there is too mich of a spread between the index and middle fingers (the former placed on the shutter release, and the latter holding the grip). bigger hands should be fine tho. 

the M9 grip does allow comfortable holding when shooting 'from the hip', with the thumb on the shutter release and the other fingers on the grip. 

i settled on a thumb-up and a leather case. the thumb-up allows me much better grip using the thumb, where i let most of the weight of the camera-lens combo rest; and the case provides more comfortable (softer) grip for the other fingers. 

Also i may be wrong but i do seem to find that the case helps dampen the shutter sound a little bit more, esp. when using discreet mode. 

Edited by Rus

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well: I did spend that sum after all and am pleased with the outcome. It definitely helps the ergonomics of the camera regardless of lens size. Of course it does also reinstate that c.100g weight saving between M240 and M262 :huh:  but it's no more complicated to unscrew base/grip than to dig out the base ring and twist to free the standard base. All in all worth adding (and looks rather good too). Thanks to those who responded to the thread. observations were positive.

I'm in the grip camp, though I've gone RRS as occasionally the camera can find itself on a tripod. Replaces the bottom plate.  Definitely adds heft, but I abhor gangly straps on cameras far more than the added weight  (although I'll admit that on the M I have an uber wispy one stolen from a dozen year old powershot to provide a little extra security).   Others dont seem to mind, but I find the shape and leatherette composition of the M problematic. I pull the camera from the bag as needed. Straps whipping around all that expensive glass doesn't cut it AFAIC. The grip makes dragging the camera out a safer, more secure action that with a naked M.  I also find it allows a bit more stability while shooting worth maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 stop of shutter speed. YMMV, really a personal preference, but it woks for me. 

I have the M240... i have the Arte Di Mano case. i love it, original purpose was to protect the camera , now my case takes the bumps and bruises. the case has two options for built in grips, i have the "bump" version and feel its jusr what i was looking for . i also have the thumbs up. between the case and the thumbs up i have easily picked up a full stop - maybe more