Help with Plustek 120 scanner for newbee

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a new Plustek 120 scanner and I am struggling to get started.

1. First of all I can't seem to find out how to load the film into the tray. I have done it the way I think it needs to be loaded but I have nothing written or something to watch to confirm that I have loaded it the correct way
  2. When I scan a neg it saves it as a TIF to my pictures folder but the TIF file is only 700 x 700
  3. I'm shooting 120 film

Any help would be much appreciated

Neil

What software Neil? I started with Vuescan, it plays with virtually any scanner and any OS. But lately have managed to make the copy of SilverFast (that came with the scanner) work, and enjoy it slightly better.

Point I make, each "works" differently, especially with respect to output size etc.

Gary

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What software Neil? I started with Vuescan, it plays with virtually any scanner and any OS. But lately have managed to make the copy of SilverFast (that came with the scanner) work, and enjoy it slightly better.

Point I make, each "works" differently, especially with respect to output size etc.

Gary

Gary I am using the Silverfast software that came with the scanner. I know I am hearing RTFM but its not quite as straight forward as that as there isn't a manual . What there is is a 3 small page do this do that but for example it says load the film into the scanner try......without mentioning how to f%$%$%g do that step. It has about 20 videos but again they are not in any sort of order and the titles don't exactly pop out and say HOW TO LOAD THE FILM TRAYS. or HOW TO SCAN MORE THAN ONE NEG AT A TIME.

I will get there mate. Im just my usual mr impatient and getting frustrated, but as always I will preserver and hopefully get so pictures up onto my website and the forum soon :) 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Thank you so so much Jeff.....man o man I googled the crap out of this scanner and saw nothing. What i have figured out up to now is how to batch scan 3 6 x 6 at a time and save them to a folder on my HD. As far as the software is concerned I will look at all the instructional videos when I have time and try and get my head wrapped around that.

Thank you again so much mate.........hopefully I will have some scans to post later today :)

Hang in there Neil, it will come to happen.

In respect of the loading the trays, can't help sorry, but hopefully Jeff has.

The output? I use either JPEG (for when I do a scan to make a contact sheet for my 35mm negs), or TIFF if scanning to output to the forum. Having a huge TIFF to fiddle with in CS6 seems to work for me, then I trim it and save it suitably for posting.

Keep fiddling,

Gary

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hang in there Neil, it will come to happen.

In respect of the loading the trays, can't help sorry, but hopefully Jeff has.

The output? I use either JPEG (for when I do a scan to make a contact sheet for my 35mm negs), or TIFF if scanning to output to the forum. Having a huge TIFF to fiddle with in CS6 seems to work for me, then I trim it and save it suitably for posting.

Keep fiddling,

Gary

Gary there are forum members that like to take the piss ( I've been in that catogory before) and there are forum members that geninially like to help and are very willing to pass on encouragement and advice. Both you and Jeff S fall into that last catogory. Thanks a lot

Nope, I fall into both, I like to take the piss as well, and you are a dead cert for getting it. You seem to have strong shoulders though, and take it well, a credit to you. And it helps the forum breathe a little I reckon.

But equally, I have struggled, still struggling in fact, with scanning, so am happy to help if I can. But let your guard down and I'll have a laugh as well. I think it should be like that, too many stiff people out there. loosen up a bit, and laugh. As long as it remains a laugh, not serious.

Scan something, anything, and see what you get, show us. Evidently (according to the knowledge base here) the scans should look flat and lifeless, with the magic appearing as a result of post-processing.

Show us what you have, preferably 6x6 Neil.

Gary

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I will post up later today. I'm getting ready for the 6 x 6 naughty model shoot tomorrow so need to take care of that shit first.

My wife went out yesterday and bought the stockings and crutch less nickers. The stockings were okay but the crutch less nickers were a nightmare....... I don't think I will wear those again :) :)

I will post up later today. I'm getting ready for the 6 x 6 naughty model shoot tomorrow so need to take care of that shit first.

My wife went out yesterday and bought the stockings and crutch less nickers. The stockings were okay but the crutch less nickers were a nightmare....... I don't think I will wear those again :) :)

Neil - are you going to upstage Gary Lineker's next appearance on Match of the Day?  ;)