Before to own a MM, anything need to be aware....

chimray

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Price now is coming down a bit and consider to buy one as review a lot of nice MM photo in the web..

But since this MM also expensive, can those MM owners share why they love MM ? and will you guy spend a lot of times for those post processing (like LR or Silver flex ? ) 

thanks !

• Like 1

I own the typ 246 and find that I just need a little twick to the files. I am doing landscape and people photography and the camera has all I need, including live view, possibility to add the external EVF for critical focus etc. I am not interested in colour, so the MM was the obvious straight choice for me. The tonal range of the files is excellent.

It will take a bit to discover your favorite workflow and settings, but after that it is pretty straightforward. However - be very, very careful with the clarity slider.

I'm talking about the MM1, but the MM2 should be the same; it produces horrible halos. Sharpening should be applied with a velvet touch as well. Actually I prefer the MM1 results in general.

• Like 1

I personally didn't realise that you often need colour filters to get proper drama into the clouds. Take the cost of those into account for your lenses. Look at those Leica released recently. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some things to be aware of, is easy to blow highlights.  Most people with the monochrome, I have the 246, underexpose and then adjust in post processing.  It takes some getting used to but the results are great!  And, I find am really loving my older lenses, pre-Asph, on this camera more than the more modern lenses.  That may just be personal taste, but if you have some of the Mandler designed lenses, hang onto them.

• Like 2

I'm talking about the MM1, but the MM2 should be the same; it produces horrible halos. Sharpening should be applied with a velvet touch as well. Actually I prefer the MM1 results in general.

May I know what is MM1 and MM2 ?

Those are both the Monochrom 1 (AKA MM1) with the 18 MP CCD sensor.  The Monochrom 2 (AKA MM2) is the type 246 with a 24 MP CMOS sensor, EVF, live view and video.

One caveat: The Monochrom 1 sensor can exhibit sensor corrosion in a relatively small number of cases, but Leica will replace the sensor for free (if affected) with a corrosion-proof sensor. Still, it is my preferred type.

• Like 1

Silver Efex is the bomb (that's American for "very good.")  A little practice and you can become very proficient with it, and not have to spend a lot of time on each picture.

The "Soft Contrast" slider works great.

The Monochrom M is the camera I always wanted, from long before I could ever have imagined such a thing could even exist.  Not for everyone of course, but if you love black and white and digital photography there is nothing else to compare it to.  

Edited by stevieboy

I personally didn't realise that you often need colour filters to get proper drama into the clouds. Take the cost of those into account for your lenses. Look at those Leica released recently. 

B&W and Heliopan offer filters of at least equal quality.

Some things to be aware of, is easy to blow highlights.  Most people with the monochrome, I have the 246, underexpose and then adjust in post processing.  It takes some getting used to but the results are great!  And, I find am really loving my older lenses, pre-Asph, on this camera more than the more modern lenses.  That may just be personal taste, but if you have some of the Mandler designed lenses, hang onto them.

Or even older. Lenses need not be expensive. One of my favorites is the Canon 1.8/50 LTM, built ca 1955. I bought it, mint, for 100 Euro, and got the 35 thrown in for free...

Normally I use the Zeiss Biogon-C 35/2.8 and Tele-Tessar 85. (And I have plenty of Leica lenses)

However, all character lenses do well on the Monochrom. Here it is with the Summilux 24:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Speaking of MM1. There is no need to pp very long, but you like to. This is because the MM files have so much possibilities to choose from. If only you expose for details in the highlights, you can lighten up shadows nearly unlimited. 

Jpegs from MM1 are very nice too, you have no pp at all, if you just set the contrast one step higher

Thanks those comments and now I know what is MM1 and MM2, now I got a offer in MM1 (silver 10787) in around US$4,350 (brand new), I did own M9 and would like to enter the Black and White world, will it be less sensor problem of 2014 Silver Chrome MM1 ? 

I am a MM1 owner and never experienced any corrosion so far. Months ago I had a problem, shutter error but Leica fixed everything at no cost and outstanding service. Love my Monochrom the only thing that bug me is how quickly the batteries dies. You can easily finish a battery in few hours....that's why I had to buy 4 extra. Apart from that i'm very happy and i saw some good price in the 2nd hand market, definitely worth consider it.

Let us know how it goes