Leica Monochrome Typ 246 Post Processing Recommendations

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi 

I have been playing around with the Leica M Mono Typ 246 and as I can see on Lightroom, some of the options are inactivated  bc no color channels.  

I was wondering if people have any tips regarding the workflow BW processing of the MM246 raw file   to achieve strong b&W contrast (but not surreal sharpness)   like Sally Man's photos tonality.  

been using LR and Silver Efex Pro and some pics i have taken : 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEpUMhvxkPa/?taken-by=vadimkrisyan

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEFZ6LaxkFu/?taken-by=vadimkrisyan

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDZr0MBRkKL/?taken-by=vadimkrisyan

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDe4HwrRkFi/?taken-by=vadimkrisyan

Appreciated 

Best

Vadim 

• Like 1

I find that the files of the typ 246 needs little postprocessing. Given that you start with a correct in camera exposure, I usually apply a little bit of contrast with an S curve, set the white and black points and play around with clarity. I would go into photoshop for removing unwanted objects and I would use either Silver Effex of Viveza for dodging and burning selectively. All in all a 10/15 minutes job.

I can't see what there is to tell you about post processing Vadim, your examples are excellent and show you know how to work on an image to get the most from it.

But I think your main point was about the look Sally Mann achieves and I like this look myself. Of course she uses an entirely different large format process but if you have the full Nik Suite I think there are two vital components that can get you closer. The first in SEP is the 'soft contrast' slider, a bit or a lot can really transform the basic contrast and tonality, but as with all of the controls the amount you use depends on the starting image. The second component is in Color Efex and is the 'Glamour Glow' filter. Yes, don't laugh but it isn't soft focus. This filter adds that highlight glow that chemical emulsions exhibit and takes away the biting digital high tech look. I often use both of these even if only a little bit because I'm not a great fan of the hard digital look, smoothing the tones and making the blacks richer and the whites shine a bit can transform an image. After I have the basic's of the image I then go back to SEP and adjust the 'Structure' just so the image doesn't look dreamy, usually not touching the White structure, but bringing up the black and mid tone a little. 

While Sally Mann's images get most from the format and wet plate process a little closer to 35mm film would be the B&W images of Trent Parke where the above technique can help render a similar sort of image from a digital file. Look at those and you'll see the rich glow of film in high contrast situations.

Steve

• Like 3

I can't see what there is to tell you about post processing Vadim, your examples are excellent and show you know how to work on an image to get the most from it.

But I think your main point was about the look Sally Mann achieves and I like this look myself. Of course she uses an entirely different large format process but if you have the full Nik Suite I think there are two vital components that can get you closer. The first in SEP is the 'soft contrast' slider, a bit or a lot can really transform the basic contrast and tonality, but as with all of the controls the amount you use depends on the starting image. The second component is in Color Efex and is the 'Glamour Glow' filter. Yes, don't laugh but it isn't soft focus. This filter adds that highlight glow that chemical emulsions exhibit and takes away the biting digital high tech look. I often use both of these even if only a little bit because I'm not a great fan of the hard digital look, smoothing the tones and making the blacks richer and the whites shine a bit can transform an image. After I have the basic's of the image I then go back to SEP and adjust the 'Structure' just so the image doesn't look dreamy, usually not touching the White structure, but bringing up the black and mid tone a little. 

While Sally Mann's images get most from the format and wet plate process a little closer to 35mm film would be the B&W images of Trent Parke where the above technique can help render a similar sort of image from a digital file. Look at those and you'll see the rich glow of film in high contrast situations.

Steve

Thank you very Much !! this is very interesting and i will give a shot. never thought abt using Color Efex Pro after SIlver Efex !!!! Thanks !

• Like 1