How to use the SF64 flash off camera

david perry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, can anyone enlighten me please as to how I might use the SF64 flash off camera? Please forgive my ignorance, I am just getting started with fill-in flash. Is there a cable to link the two via the PC socket, or do I need to buy a wireless trigger, and if so, which do you recommend? Many thanks, your wisdom will be much appreciated.

David

Both those options, plus using it as a "slave" triggered by another flash mounted on your camera.

My preference is a wireless trigger, but none of the options will give you TTL metering or control of the flash from the camera: M or A modes are your main choices.

There's a separate current thread on wireless triggers somewhere on the forum. I use Pocket Wizards – they are excellent but I've had them some years and I know there are much cheaper good ones around.

Edit: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/260167-looking-for-a-small-cheap-and-simple-wireless-flash-trigger-system/

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I do not own the SF64 but have found my SF58's TTL working perfectly on my SL with the FW2.0 as a On Camera Flash.

For Off camera flash, unlike Nikon & canon, there is no available 3rd party wireless radio trigger maker supporting Leica S/M/SL/T cameras. Nikon camera cords are only Off Camera Flash available if TTL flash control is desired.

I am using 4 Pocketwizard Plus IIIs to wirelessly control manual 3 LumoPro Manual Camera Flash. Apart from no HSS functional available on this setup, as the SL has great ISO range and a good dynamic range based on sensor resolution, I do not miss the TTL function. I would firstly determine the exposure on camera manually w/o the flash then set the flash power to fill in light to the subject rather than using flash determine the exposure.

Below an example I've taken 2 years ago on my wife and daughter using my M240 with one off Camera flash (Pocketwizard + LumoPro 160):

11006800873_09bad19713_k.jpgHeresa & Isabelle by sillbeers15, on Flickr

• Like 4

I do not own the SF64 but have found my SF58's TTL working perfectly on my SL with the FW2.0 as a On Camera Flash.

For Off camera flash, unlike Nikon & canon, there is no available 3rd party wireless radio trigger maker supporting Leica S/M/SL/T cameras. Nikon camera cords are only Off Camera Flash available if TTL flash control is desired.

I have just got the SF64. I haven't tried it with a cable, but the manual says only M, A and Strobo (multiple M mode flashes) are available with cable sync, not TTL. So worth checking before buying if this is vital for you.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When the manual says:

"THE SYNCHRONIZATION SOCKET
The flash unit can be fired via the synchronization socket in automatic flash mode A, manual flash mode M and stroboscope mode."

it refers to the Synchronization Socket with Thread, which is on the side of the flash, covered with a rubber cap.

sillbeers15 is refering to a cable which connects the contacts on the flash feet to the contacts on the camera hot shoe. Such a cable will enable TTL also.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

FW2.0:- Firmware update 2.0 from Leica for SL type 601 only.

Below is a casual snapshot taken using SL with 20-90mm VE on A priority mode with off camera fill flash (1/4 power manual flash triggered by Pocketwizard Plus III) as fill flash on low lighting situation onto subjects w/o any flash modifier.

26726382449_bb4bbc23d6_b.jpgL1040630 by sillbeers15

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I would like that with the slave functionality you could use two for three of these, one on camera, on automatic mode and set the desired F stops on each unit to give the right lighting ratio for the scene....true???  I love my Leicas but its hard to beat the convenience of the Canon off camera TTL system when you are on the move and working quickly from one setting to another in darker spaces.   I would switch to using my Leicas in those situations if I can come up with a solution, even if it is not TTL but is also not too hard to manage.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Bill

I would like that with the slave functionality you could use two for three of these, one on camera, on automatic mode and set the desired F stops on each unit to give the right lighting ratio for the scene....true???  I love my Leicas but its hard to beat the convenience of the Canon off camera TTL system when you are on the move and working quickly from one setting to another in darker spaces.   I would switch to using my Leicas in those situations if I can come up with a solution, even if it is not TTL but is also not too hard to manage.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Bill

Wait for the SF60 and SFc1 release for the wireless triggering OCF the Leica way.

Announcement has been made so reasonably soon. The SF60 and controller are rebadged Nissin i60 and controllers so you can research the capabilities pretty easily. The only unknown is whether they will maintain cross compatibility like the i60's do or whether Leica will request firmware hobbling so they only work with Leica badged units.

When will that be?

Earlier announcement by Leica on their website was 'available in April 2018',...looks now slipping a little soon.

I do not know the exact date the price and availability will be made. But I suppose soon, I'm also waiting to get a set to start with...

• 2 months later...

Announcement has been made so reasonably soon. The SF60 and controller are rebadged Nissin i60 and controllers so you can research the capabilities pretty easily. The only unknown is whether they will maintain cross compatibility like the i60's do or whether Leica will request firmware hobbling so they only work with Leica badged units.

Hi Gordon,

Do you know how this 'unknown' question was resolved? 

Still being investigated.

My i60's don't work with the SFC1, yet. They trigger from the commander but not from the camera. probably a firmware thing as the manual says Nissin system components should work with the SFC1.

To be updated..... In the other thread, when I've time to give it some energy.

Gordon